ONE LAP of AUSTRALIA

Hunter2

Actually, the Dingo is smallish...and behaves just like a Coyote or Wolf in North America...spot one and POOF it's gone in a flash.

My wife caught this Dingo beside the Stuart Hwy. in the Northern Territory as we headed south towards Katherine. I stopped to get out for more photos...Dingo was long gone.

IMG_6897_zps844857a7.jpg

Hunter2

Air travel from Canada is booked, Spirit of Tasmania is booked...the "unfinished business" will be dealt with as we leave Queensland for Melbourne on October 26th, 2 weeks in the island state, back to Melbourne, over the Great Ocean Road the right way (east to west) and on back inland to Eucha and a cruise on the Murray River, arriving in Queensland November 20/21.

Hunter2

Will try and post here when on the road in Australia next month...but have put up a Facebook page "Unfinished Business in Australia" (since updates can be made simply there). Some content already there.

IMG_2080.JPG

Hunter2

ROO is now coming to Canada. PHOTO: leaving the Van at EDI in Brisbane to get to Yokohama and Vancouver.

We completed the "unfinished business" between October 26th and November 21st, driving from Brisbane, Qld. to Melbourne and spending 2 weeks in Tasmania. There were 4 Classic Minis with combined age over 130 years, logging a combined 19,000 miles with minor issues - one water pump replaced, one float bowl needle deburring and a minor rewiring issue for a Tom-Tom...I replaced the driveshaft u-joints after the trip.

Hunter2

ROO will get to Port Metro Vancouver next week after 41 days at sea and in port. The Van was loaded on RoRo carrier Bosporus Highway in Brisbane, rode south to Port Kembla, Melbourne & Adelaide then back into the Pacific, north through the Coral Sea and Solomon Islands on the way to Japanese home waters.

After several port stops on Japan's Inland Sea, ROO was transferred in Yokohama to the RoRo vessel Curitiba for the 4,100 nautical mile sailing to Vancouver. I expect to sweep up ROO by January 14th.

In this new year, ROO will make a transcontinental trip to the Mid-Ohio race circuit for the Can-Am Mini Challenge racing and return via Milwaukee, Wisconsin for Mini Meet East Meets West before heading west to home.

Happy New Year!.

Hunter2

Update...8 months later...

ROO did arrive Port of Vancouver on Jan. 14th...got off the docks on the 17th, in for mechanical/glass/lights inspection, licensed and drove it home Jan. 25th. Just a few miles at home.

Rebuilt the suspension with adjustable bits, got the Van aligned, replaced the clutch master cylinder and bits outside the clutch cover...

Then we left June 20th to cross Canada to salt Ste. Marie, Ontarion, down through Michigan to the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, on to Indianapolis, Milwaukee for Mini Meet East Meet West and home across the great Plains via the Black Hills, Cody, Yellowstone then north through Montana to Browning before a short leg into Idaho and up into British Columbia to join our outbound route at Creston. Arrived home July 16th

7,053 miles/11,300 kms. with only minor issues - 2 loads of bad fuel in Montana, 2 clutch adjusts - apart from bad rubber springs. They were brand new and collapsed almost immediately requiring height adjustments and giving up the benefits of the laser alignment.

Van now awaiting spring replacements, suspension readjust and installation of new tires on restored rims!

ROOstartMMEMWtrip06202014.jpg

Ar_Davis

As a british car mechanic/restorer I love this. I want to take a long trip in my midget but I have yet to push past 200 miles in it during one trip.

Or any of these cars we have built/ fixed.

Hunter2

Going back to Australia in 12 days...this time to head north from Brisbane on May 5th to the Gulf of Carpentaria, across the Northern Territory and on to Western Australia to cross the Gibb River Road to Derby & Broome.

The ride a turbo Toyota Landcruiser...will start another blog!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles