New to the forum, long time mitsu owner - My SR

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
Just out of curiosity, how do you know if the bolt pattern of what you bought will match up?

I learned a long time ago, when buying from craigslist; educate yourself first on what you need, then either bring something to measure with, or bring whatever you'll be putting the part on to test fit it. in this case all i needed to bring was a jack and a tire iron.

Mike... needs to be 6x5.5" bolt pattern w/ a minimum 108mm center bore (center bore size according to America's Tire/Discount Tire). I can almost tell by looking at the rim that there's a 99% likely hood the bore is the right size by looking at the thickness of the max thickness between the center bore and a lug bolt hole.

And generally, I have found that Chevy 6x5.5 does not fit our (Japanese) rigs due to the center bore.

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
Got a lot done today...

For starters a question for the 95 SR guys, I've driven a 97 (leaf sprung rear) without sway bars, front or rear, I just ditched both front and rear on my 95 (coil rear) and I think it handles just fine, exactly how I would expect a vehicle lacking sways to handle. To those that warned "removing the front will make it too squirrely" I ask; have any of you ever driven without the front sway? I'm completely happy with how it handles on the road without either sway bar. To those that cut their rear sway bars to remove them... why? It comes right out with a touch of twisting (axle at full droop, no wheels on) It only took me 10 minutes and I'm really wondering if that's just how one person did it and most didnt put the effort in to see if it could come out without cutting?

New spark plugs - for those that haven't yet: in a 95 SR you CAN do the plugs without removing the intake manifold, I'm very happy with how they designed the valley covers, they slip out easily. Passenger side requires removing the throttle body, but NOT the EGR tube, it will slip past that. I'm not too happy about all the brackets in the way, but I made quick work of them and modified the ones I needed to modify so that I wont need to remove as much stuff in the future. The plugs I removed... looked old... very old and worn down.

Oil pressure gauge:
while changing the oil i noticed my SR only has a sending unit for the oil pressure dummy light, the wire for my gauge was hanging there, with no where to hook. So I pulled an oil pressure sending unit off a twin turbo 6G72 engine I had and installed that in place of the dummy light switch (is there a Y in here normally with both sensors on it?) and the damn gauge STILL isnt working, anyone have any problems with their oil pressure gauges? common failure? I'm about to replace it with a standalone auto meter, so I've got a clue.

Fixed my cruise control today... sort of, found that if i hold the 'on' switch on the dash down, while setting the cruise, it will engage and stay on, random 'fix' but as long as I have cruise for the long rides, I'm content.

I'm honestly feel like this is how all the Montero's should have came, the 95 is a great example of a real SUV
3.5 liter quad cam with variable ignition timing, large oil cooler, large external transmission cooler, awd and 4x4, locking rear diff, the ability to fit 33's on stock suspension and not lose a lot of power driving (needs a single turbo IMO)... My only regret is not owning an SR sooner!

red87

Adventurer
I'm impressed you got the rear sway bar out without cutting it. There was no way mine was coming off without more disassembly than I wanted to do. In any case, I had no delusions about putting it back so I figured I may as well just cut it.

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
I thought that at first as well, because it's what I had read on here...

But after removing both wheels, putting the truck on jack stands and letting the axle drop as far as it would (stock rear suspension) I had to have the girlfriend on the other side doing a little directing and it slid right out. Granted I have aftermarket replacement shocks, so they may be slightly different, but they're stock replacements so I doubt it. It doesnt really matter since like you, i'll never put it back in. but for those of you who can't live without the stability of sway bars; it will come out sans cutting.

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
Something I noticed in the last week not having the sway bars:

Around 60mph the montero gets really floaty if the suspension is set to soft, too floaty really. However, if you put the suspension on firm, the rig rolls smooth as silk. I drove to and from chicago earlier this week in a horrible snow storm, rode great. then I drove two hours east to go off roading today, smooth the entire way as well, wheeled all day, then drove two hours home.

Didn't do much picture taking since I was driving. My brother had the camera but he's not much for clicking the button.

Wheeled great, didn't get stuck at all. :)

dsc_0483.jpg

dsc_0504.jpg

dsc_0512.jpg

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
Well the weekend of wheeling took it's toll on my ancient tie rod ends. Who knows if they've been replaced before, but at 211,000 miles, all new tie rods have officially gone in. Steering was near impossible today as they all bound up from tons of miles and a weekend of hammering on them.

scrubber3

Not really here
See, 35s do fit without a body lift. Looks good, but I'm sure it rubs with suspension flex right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke