4th gen 4runner build capability?

Hey everyone,

Its time to find my new DD/expedtion/4wheeling/travel rig and I am trying to decide if the 4th gen 4runner will serve all my needs. I has good space for 4 adults comfortably, comfortable to drive, decent gas mileage, good towing capacity, but I am concerned about its capability offroad. How does it stack up to a tacoma off road? IS there good aftermarket support? I am looking at the earlier years 03, 04, 05 cause they are in my budget range so anything good or bad about them that makes a year more desirable than another?
Thanks for the help.

joneseyyy

Explorer
They are plenty capable off road and there are good aftermarket options for all of the "core" mods expo-minded people are inclined to do. In addition to T4r.org, check out the "expoorition" thread on this site, it is relevant as well.

seanz0rz

Adventurer
short answer: yes, a 4th generation 4runner is and can be very capable offroad. ive wheeled with 4th gens that were totally stock all the way up to long travel front, 4 linked rear beasts.

im not keen to the differences in the years, other than the 06+ has better headlights.

aftermarket support is there from places like toytec, wheelers, allpro, etc.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I just filled up, my last tank was 319 miles on 15.5 gallons or 20.6 MPG. I have 32" and ~3" lift.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Redline and I have been discussing 4th gen 4Runners. Hopefully he will chime in with some thoughts. If you're looking at V8's, try to get and '05 as that's when Toyota went to VVTI and the horsepower increased about 30 hp. '06 is when the front fenders became rounded.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Also if you're going with a V6, I think 05 was when they went to the 5 speed auto. Earlier 4th gen V6's had the 4 speed (don't know if it's the same as the 4 speed auto in the 3rd gens, but I assume it's not. Anyone know?) When I was researching 4th gens (before I decided to go ahead and get a 3rd gen) I think 05 was my starting year for that reason. For some reason I think that they also got LED taillights that same year so if you see a V6 with LED taillights it should have the 5 speed. I think the V8's always had the 5 speed but they also have full time 4wd which cuts your MPG a bit.

mph

Expedition Leader
We have an 06 runner and love it. We have taken it all over Utah, Colorado, and Idaho. Does very well. We have the v6 and get around 17-18 when fully loaded.

We then drove a LC100. Don't do it...We now have both:)

Good luck with your search!

daPitbull

Adventurer
The 4th gen seem to meet all of your criteria. Some one mentioned t4r.org for references, but my opinion is most of the rigs there are all show, no go. Check out toyota120.com for rigs that are actually used as intended.

Aftermarket support isn't that great, but you'll find the FJC and 4R share similar suspension, and much will crossover. Properly fitted (and a capable driver of course) the 4R will go almost anywhere. Click my sig for pics of mine.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I'm not too sure about the "fits 4 adults comfortably", but in all other matters, yes. the 4th Gen does great and there is a growing off road supply chain for it.

436921968_Uhuou-XL.jpg

Expoordition-Day03-37-XL.jpg

Rightovercrest

I recently replaced my '06 double cab Tacoma with an '08 V6 4runner and so far am really enjoying the vehicle. After my 3" lift and 32" tires I too get around 20 mpg average (about 2 mpg better than the comparably equipped Taco) . Fits 4 adults much better than the tacoma but not quite as well as my FJ80. I have yet to do any serious trails but wouldn't hesitate it to do anything with it I would have done with the Tacoma. I like the extra cabin space and the shorter length for trails as well as city parking. Aftermarket seems to be getting better every day.

jason04

Observer
I purchased my first 4th gen in 2008. Got the 04 V6. Then came sliders, 33" tires & OME lift. Very capable and overall enjoyed the day to day drive and offroad capability. Decided I wanted something a little more capable and trail worthy so I sold the 4th gen and got a '97 LandCruiser. Slee 4" lift, 35's, sliders locked front and rear....... sold it after 6 months or so as it got much worse MPG and didnt take me anywhere the 4th gen wouldnt take me.

I now have a 2005 4runner with the V6. The '05+ V6 has the 5 speed tranny and imo is much better then the previous years 4 speed. The ATRAC in the 4th gen is an amazing offroading asset and as you continue to do you're homework I think the 4th gen will suite you just fine. As mentioned, your best source of information can be had at www.toyota120.com I've been all over southern Utah and there isnt a single place I wanted to go the this rig hasnt taken me. It should be noted I've added a rear ARB air locker. Again, ATRAC works great, I just wanted to make things even easier in the "sticky situations" so I added the rear locker. Dont know that the locker was a must have but for me I feel I'm better able to get through difficult terrain at a slower more controlled rate with the locker engaged in the rear and ATRAC up front.

Best of luck!

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
IF a 4Gen is a big enough car for you (4 adults) then it's a nice platform. As noted, the advantages are that it can be mildly modified, still drive VERY well on-road, and obtain reasonable fuel economy. Since they are all relatively new, a clean, stock, low mileage example is relatively easy to find. They are quite low in stock trim, so it's hard to argue against lifting the chassis first to prevent belly dragging. If you don't want to go crazy with modifications, lift it with OME suspension, run a 265 tire and be done. ATRAC is better than open diffs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles