A Good Enough Cordless Impact Wrench

cactusjk

Explorer
I have looked through older threads and am seriously considering a Craftsman C3 cordless 1/2" impact wrench. Not the best but good enough.

Generally the DiHard NiCads are easier to find, much cheaper, and have typical NiCCad problems. DiHard Lithium batteries seem to be hard to find and the reviews are not that good.

I consider this tool more of a emergency use tool and will not routinely use it.

Considering the latter, need battery recommendations and overall agreement with approach vice Craftsman bashing...

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
if it is occasional use, get the lithium. The charged shelf life is MUCH longer.

I use the 1/2" Ryobi 18v with a lithium battery. I can run a typical rally service schedule with one battery. I bring a second battery with me in the case we have major failures. The pricepoint on this tool is quite good too.

My best suggestion would be to buy what you already have batteries for. It makes the purchase of an extra battery or tool much easier to justify.

cactusjk

Explorer
I am also considering the Ryobi! Unfortunately I only have one other Makita cordless drill so I am essentially starting new. I do like their in vehicle Li charger.

if it is occasional use, get the lithium. The charged shelf life is MUCH longer.

I use the 1/2" Ryobi 18v with a lithium battery. I can run a typical rally service schedule with one battery. I bring a second battery with me in the case we have major failures. The pricepoint on this tool is quite good too.

My best suggestion would be to buy what you already have batteries for. It makes the purchase of an extra battery or tool much easier to justify.

magaw

Magaw
Porter cable, I swear by them, I've been hearing good things about hitachi too, maybe worth looking in to?

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Considering the latter, need battery recommendations and overall agreement with approach vice Craftsman bashing...
I really don't get carrying the extra weight of a tool that will rarely be used and, when it is used, could be done with another tool you have already. A 200lb/ft impact isn't really going to undo anything that couldn't be done by hand with not much effort.

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
I love my Ryobi, and with the lithium battery its a beast, and batteries can be found at any Home Depot in the US, Mexico and Canada. Going on 6 years now and the original batteries are just now failing.

I don't carry it in my tool kit though, it stays at home usually.

TFRI

Observer
I have the Ryobi. Works great! you can use 18V Lithium or the NiCad batteries in them. I also carry the Ryobi 18V chain saw in my kit. Same batteries.

bfdiesel

Explorer
I find reliability trumps good enough. Most things I have bought because they were good enough ended up letting me down when the need for it to work was highest.

With battery operated stuff buy something with a battery size you will use enough to keep it alive. Setting and discharging not in use seems to kill batteries prematurely which also seems to manifest itself at the most convenient time :).

cactusjk

Explorer
Good advice. All the tools mentioned here are good and reliable options.

I find reliability trumps good enough. Most things I have bought because they were good enough ended up letting me down when the need for it to work was highest.

With battery operated stuff buy something with a battery size you will use enough to keep it alive. Setting and discharging not in use seems to kill batteries prematurely which also seems to manifest itself at the most convenient time :).

cactusjk

Explorer
Being able to easily find batteries at Home Depot is definitely nice. Some batteries are very hard to find.

RangeBrover

Explorer
That is true but if you get a lithium battery, they are pretty reliable. You should have a second for a backup anyway.

RusherRacing

Adventurer
The C3 setup from sears has been great for me. I started off with a kit like 5 years ago and have added to it. I now have multiply chargers and batteries.
I don't have the impact yet. They didn't have a 1/2" impact available till just recently. Everything works great for my limited around the house use. I use the drill probably once a month and the other items less. But I have a Sawzall, rotozip, circular saw, Drill, light, and even my weedeater is a C3. Its great having all the batteries and chargers. I never have to worry about having a dead battery.

I built a dog kennel/work bench yesterday and when the drill, or saw battery died i had another one charged ready to go.

Now they have the C3 lithium stuff out and I will continue to add that to my collection. The Lithium batteries can work in the older stuff I was told, and the old batteries can work in the new Li stuff. You just need to use the correct chargers. Atleast thats what they told be when I went into Sears last week.

I wouldn't use this if I was working daily with it but I am not. I would go Bosch, or Dewalt if money was no option.

as for options for impacts.. Menards Tool Shop 1/2" drive impact was $49 bucks and has lasted me 3yrs so far.. A good friend as one that gets used very heavily and its still working - just doesn't quite have the torque my less used one has.

cactusjk

Explorer
Leaning toward the Ryobi due to small size, ease of finding parts and overall performance for what I intend to use it for.

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
I think you will be pleased with it. They do offer a car charger for the batteries if you intend to leave it in the truck.

I have been using mine for over a year now with no issues. I use the 1/4" impact 'driver' for smaller fasteners when doing maintinence. I basically don't use air tools anymore. And if you were in a road salt area, the impact action keeps the bolts from breaking every time you service something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles