Off-roading with a motorcycle carrier

911regular

Adventurer
Was wondering if anyone has experience with receiver mounted motorcycle carriers? Specifically while mild off roading,, I have cracked/ broke 2 different mc carriers. I carry a Honda 450r off the back of my f-250 Superduty .. So not a plush ride,, so I wanted to know what carriers y'all use and which ones tolerate off roading.

UHAULER

Explorer
I made my own, I believe it's 2x2 sq. tube, .180wall .

bikerack9.jpg

bikerack2.jpg

bikerack4.jpg

bikerack8.jpg

Hudson

Hudson
Was wondering if anyone has experience with receiver mounted motorcycle carriers? Specifically while mild off roading,, I have cracked/ broke 2 different mc carriers. I carry a Honda 450r off the back of my f-250 Superduty .. So not a plush ride,, so I wanted to know what carriers y'all use and which ones tolerate off roading.

I used a Versahauler to haul a Husky TE 310. It was far beefier than the cheaper ones, but even then these haulers aren't meant to take the abuse of off-roading. You can probably find one used for $250, they are 400 new. I ended up selling and getting a dedicated dirt bike trailer. I suppose if your off-roading was limited to light forest roads at moderate pace but not hitting bumps hard, a versahauler might stand up. I'd hate to find out that they didn't, with 200 lbs of cfr anchor dragging back behond me.

Last edited:

Vandiesel

Uhauler, Nice build. How do you load the bike? I have a really bad back for lifting. I was thinking of a triple receiver carrier. I was planning on welding in another set of tubes on the ends of my hitch assembly. Is that overkill based on your carrier experience?

Brad.

UHAULER

Explorer
Vandiesel, I use a small ramp, about 3' long to load the bike. When I built this rack I had a 93 bronco. I bolted on a mini reciever under the drivers side of the rear bumper. In the pics you can see the small reciever tube on the drivers side of the rack. I have been using this on my f350 for the last 6 months. If I were to use this for more offroad I would want to add the reciever on the the f350 just to keep it from rocking back and forth.

I think one main reciever with one or two smaller ones would be fine, although with three 2" recievers you will be plenty stout, just make sure the bike is secured to the rack just as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke