Tranny cooler for a 2006 Tacoma?

mkitchen

Explorer
I have an 06 Tacoma and I need to do a transmission service and at the same time I thought I would add a tranny cooler. I tow an AT Horizon on a lot of my trips and I have heard that a cooler is a good addition when towing. I realize that an AT is not a heavy trailer but if it will add to the durability of the vehicle, why not add one. My question is; is there a cooler that is better than others for this application? In everything that I have done to the Tacoma so far, I have tried to make the additions looks as factory as possible. I don't look for the cheapest fix, but the best application so any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mikey

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
Get the biggest Long Tru-Cool (14,500 GVW version maybe?)you can fit in front of the radiator, custom make a few brackets to bolt it down. No one will know it's not a factory unit and your transmission will love you for it.

keezer37

Explorer
Here's a couple links. The fan is not necessary but allowed me to place where convenient and not have to move stuff around. Notice it is partially behind the bumper. I've gone thru two of the fan controllers now. Pot shorts out=fan always on. I'm guessing it doesn't like to be in the engine compartment sans enclosure. More electrical to fix. My favorite.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/61542-04-Tacoma-Transmission-Cooler?highlight=hayden

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/63086-Tacoma-Transmission-Cooler?highlight=hayden

Saiyan66

Adventurer
I have always had good luck with Derale coolers. Make sure to get a plate style and not the tube and fin style. The plate models are much more resistant to damage, vibration, etc. Summit racing stocks all sizes for around 100 bucks.

mkitchen

Explorer
Lots of good ideas

Thanks to all of you. I am going to start studying and get the parts ordered. Looking forward to the upgrades.
Mikey

nucktaco

Adventurer
my 08 has a factory tranny cooler might have been the tow package that gave me that? you could always look into getting one of those as it should be quite easy to bolt in and its done just fine with the towing ive done. :smiley_drive:

fourfa

Observer
Just clarifying some of the other posts - if you have a 2005+ with the factory tow package, you have a tranny intercooler stock. Cools the fluid if it gets hotter than radiator temp, heats it if it's colder than radiator temp.

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
All automatics have heat exchangers in the bottom of the radiator.
The tow package comes with an additional transmission cooler as listed above.

Jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles