Northstar Truck Campers

MidnightRider

MidnightRider
I've got a 95 TS1000 and love it. Northstar has always been very helpful when I've called. I called yesterday to figure out how to hook up the 12volt to the frig since it's hasn't been hooked up since I've had the camper. Was told hooking up the 12 volt was a bad idea since it draws too much amperage and that's why it was never hooked up at the factory. When I said I wanted to hook it up since I was having trouble keeping the propane lit driving down the road, I was hold how to build a sheet metal windscreen around the Frig burner to keep the wind off it while driving. Kudos to them.

Nice rig. I made a windscreen for the fridge out of a pie tin. Works good.

nranger05

X2 and I don't even have kids, but unfortunately sometimes I have to potty while on the way to camping. A camper that is somewhat usable with the top down for stealth camping would be great. Make a sandwich, sleep on the fold out dinette bed, use the rest room would be great. Many of us buy a camper so we don't have to pay for a hotel room or campground for just 5 to 8 hours of sleep while on a long road trip. Piping the top while not in a camp ground is usually not an option.

A small inside shower would be great also, while still having an outside shower.

I have a Northstar MC-600 on my Ford Ranger. With the top down, I can use the porta-potti, make lunch with access to the fridge and have even slept in the camper with the top down during a very strong windstorm in Montana. I've had my Northstar for over two year and made two cross-country trips and plenty of shorter trips throughout California. It's a great camper and extremely versitile.

mkish

Adventurer
FWIW, while NS was very accommodating and willing to do what they could with stupid build alternatives for us, we just went with a plain tc800 and a portapotty. We decided we could use the extra dinette space and save 6" off our rear by skipping the cassette toilet. We can access pretty much everything with the top down--we probably have too many sleeping bags in the cabover because I don't really have to duck when I walk around with the top down.

In a few years when we have to upgrade due to the kids being too tall to sleep wrong way on the queen bed, it would be nice to see a cassette toilet that has top-down access (without having to have a basement). The toilet situation is the only reason I'd consider a hardside.

mkish

Adventurer
You're supposed to turn it off while fueling and on ferries and in a few tunnels I think.

Most travel trailers/5th wheels/motorhomes/etc. don't even have DC fridges and have no option but to run on propane while on the move.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
OK,thanks. Fair enough with a 2 way. But if I had a NorthStar with a 3 way fridge I think I'd run the 12v driving - don't understand the too much amperage warning.
Yeah,I run mine on 12v while driving. My wife freezes a 1 gal Nalgene container w/herbal tea and that helps to maintain the temp for the initial drive. After that it doesn't work too well. I'm fortunate to have the old school manual controls on the Dometic. No circuit board to my knowledge. We always bring an ice chest and park it in the dinette area to supplement the fridge.
I'd love to have a 850sc with the higher roof for crawling into bed. Gonna have to wait a few yrs for a used one. I do wish Northstar would consider the insulated tent fabric that Outfitter uses.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Huh!, even while driving? Really?
I know that some follow this practice, though not certain why, but I am surprised it is sanctioned by a manufacturer. Is it even legal to drive with a pilot light burning? Am curious, not pot stirring.

I posted on this in another thread, and it did stir a few pots in Alberta, but from what I have read, it is technically illegal to drive with your valves open. This is from Transport Canada's website, but the rules are so full of legal jargon, it is hard to imagine anyone enforcing it. I personally won't drive with propane valves open. It doesn't seem smart to me, but my fridge works so well, and is so well insulated that everything stays cold even after an eight hour drive. Ice cream even stays frozen (ish) in the freezer!

mkish

Adventurer
And just for fun, the following is from NS's FAQ on their website (http://northstarcampers.com/ask.php) :

• does the camper battery charge automaticly when pluged into AC power? does it charge when I am driving? I have been using the 3way fridge as follows, when pluged into AC I run it on AC, when on the road I use DC when parked with out AC I run it on propane, is this the best practices?
Yes, your converter charges your battery when plugged into A/C. The truck will charge the battery when driving also.
You are using the 3-way refrigerator correctly. Remember that the 12V side of the frig does not have a thermostat and is always drawing 12V power when on that side of the power selection. I have heard of frozen milk and eggs when left on 12V for long trips and dead batteries after a long stop at a full service truck stop service area.

JPNCA

Adventurer
On the Northstar web site it looks like you can get the 650 with the extra bunk option. Is that option ordered often? Kinda looking for a used one and not really seeing any with the xb.
The xb will help camping with both kids
Thanks

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Billy,

I am looking into the Northstar 850sc, and have a few questions

1. as a factory option, a 12v compressor fridge can be ordered( per. http://northstarcampers.com/online-catalog.php?view=item&parentId=11&catId=13&numId=33) what brand/type any info on that option?

2. with the full wrap and rear storage bumper, can that bumper support the weight of a few jerry cans, or prob rotopax fuel packs and a spare tire? i would have to build the brackets and prob a swing out bracket.

thanks

jordan

knobbytracks

Observer
Jordan,
Your best bet with those questions would be to email Rex at Northstar. I don't know them personally, but the few times I've emailed, they have gone out of their way to be more than helpful.

dizzyspots

Adventurer
@NorthstarBillyMack Well after 3-1/2 years of internet searching for a TC650EC...I find one TWO miles from my office

2003 Loaded with every option available in 03 except window air and sub zero kit ...pretty clean, minor nut and bolt "brown" stuff from its former life in southern California...love the extra space and especially the north/south bed. We made due with a 95 Starcraft Sportstar...but side by side as we moved stuff to the NS, you can really tell the difference in construction and detail...Thanks Billy for your info and encouragement back in 2011,,,couldnt afford a new one but I am now in the Northstar family YAY!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I posted on this in another thread, and it did stir a few pots in Alberta, but from what I have read, it is technically illegal to drive with your valves open. This is from Transport Canada's website, but the rules are so full of legal jargon, it is hard to imagine anyone enforcing it. I personally won't drive with propane valves open. It doesn't seem smart to me, but my fridge works so well, and is so well insulated that everything stays cold even after an eight hour drive. Ice cream even stays frozen (ish) in the freezer!

I've got the ancient 3.0 Dometic 3-way with manual controls thank God. I drove from San Diego to Bishop in the heat with the near worthless 12v setting. What's worked for us is freezing a one gallon Nalgene bottle and keeping it on the lower door. Upon arrival at our campsite in Pine Creek the temp was 48* after seven hrs of driving. Six days later the herbal tea solution had finally melted.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Billy,

I am looking into the Northstar 850sc, and have a few questions

1. as a factory option, a 12v compressor fridge can be ordered( per. http://northstarcampers.com/online-catalog.php?view=item&parentId=11&catId=13&numId=33) what brand/type any info on that option?

2. with the full wrap and rear storage bumper, can that bumper support the weight of a few jerry cans, or prob rotopax fuel packs and a spare tire? i would have to build the brackets and prob a swing out bracket.

thanks

jordan

That new Northstar 850sc has the taller roof and north/south sleeping. The cassette toilet is sure looking good the older I get.

msalaska

Hi there! We have a 2012 North Star TC650. We recently purchased the Fiama 6' awning through North Star and we are trying to get installed. We live in Anchorage, AK so there is not a dealer here. We are looking for a photo of the awning installed -- my installer just wants to see what it looks like properly installed before he starts drilling into the camper. Does anyone have a photo of the Fiama awning installed on the rear of the camper?

Hello Everyone,
Just a few lines to introduce myself, Billy Mackaill, Northstar Sales Manager for the western U.S. States and western Canadian Provinces.
Looking forward to any questions that may come my way and learning more about exploring, traveling with truck/camper combo.
I have been in the RV industry for over 30 years and represented Northstar for over 10.

driller

old soul wanderer
send an email to rex at Northstar. I had a similar question for the back wall and he sent me diagrams and prints.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles