A Hummer H3 built for everything.

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
I guessing your in Cali land of the you cant.. I love the build dont get me wrong just seems like you may see some issues trying to tag it..

Just see some major blind spots..

Other than that.. This is a wicked build :) Keep up dating its like crack to me now

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
I guessing your in Cali land of the you cant.. I love the build dont get me wrong just seems like you may see some issues trying to tag it..

Just see some major blind spots..

Other than that.. This is a wicked build :) Keep up dating its like crack to me now

Thanks. I lived in Cali when I started the build. As soon as my son was born, and because I was tired of the political situation, we made the decision to move out to North Carolina. I wanted to raise my son in a state where people say hello to each other.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
One of the reasons the build was being delayed was due to the axles. Dynatrac was going to build the first aftermarket axles that were going to be 100% compatible with all the OEM electronics. This was partly possible because the original sensors and tone rings were going to be used. They had to do some R&D to see which would be the best and most reliable setup. I was overseas for this part so I didn't get to see it or take any pics. The guy that wrote the article did since this was a first time thing. Here is a portion of the article that talks about it and shows a pic.

e103b603.jpg

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
17cbdf2d.jpg

Front axle installed and all brackets welded. It's basically a copy of a JK setup but with a 3 link. JK steering box. The diff is also on passenger side which makes finding an axle harder if you don't want to get a custom axle.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
0672284d.jpg

The rear is the very unique ORE Evo-Lever cantilever suspension. It's not a JK suspension adapted. The H3 setup is too different that a custom geometry had to be engineered just for the H3. The advantage of this setup is that you have an 8" coilover laid horizontally next to the frame rails, that puts out 14" of travel. If you were to have 14" coilover, it would have to go through into the trunk space like on race trucks. It's a very trick setup that works very well. F1 and Indy cars use this setup. Another advantage is that you have less weight on the axle bouncing around which usually creates more inertia in the suspension. It also allows less offset so the wheels don't have to hang out farther from the body.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
2269ea71.jpg

This was the first time the H3 stood by itself with the new setup. It was far from done, but this is where you start seeing what works and what doesn't. Still has the OEM bumper and many other parts still need to be added.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
66802430.jpg

On 42s and OEM brush guard installed. Good thing about having the 5x5.5 wheel pattern is that we got to play with many different wheels. 42s were way too big. They rubbed everywhere if you just turned the wheel slightly. Plus it wouldn't fit in my garage. Looks great though :)

5d1b081d.jpg

Rear view. Still no rear bumper.

H3w40s.jpg

Next to a JK also on 42s.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
So incredibly cool :)

Thanks Storz,

7655ccb1.jpg

Hutchinsons beadlocks with 37" IROKs installed. Currently the present setup. May upgrade down the road since the axles can handle much bigger.

19edad6c.jpg

Rear view with the spare installed. Still no rear bumper.

553ffdf9.jpg

Most important mod to date.

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
be81eaf5.jpg

f9bfd6f9.jpg

I was getting ready to leave again overseas but I couldn't go without ramping it. This is 30 degree ramp. There was some minor rubbing. To stop it we would have to move both the front and rear axle 1" out. Also discovered that the JK steering setup couldn't handle to weight of the V8 H3 :). Ram assist will be needed.

Humvette

Adventurer
GREAT BUILD!!!

have you posted this on other forums??? it looks familiar

try humvee.net

I love my hummer and you have the baddest H3 i have seen

Are you going to wheel it?
M

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
GREAT BUILD!!!

have you posted this on other forums??? it looks familiar

try humvee.net

I love my hummer and you have the baddest H3 i have seen

Are you going to wheel it?
M

Thanks. I first started writing about my ideas and intentions on HummerXclub. That forum sorted went cold, so I continued on Club Hummer Offroad. They ended up having all kinds of issues and problems, so I ended up on Hummer4x4offroad. Been there since. Humvee is a very one sided forum. Not in a bad way. They just concentrate more on the H1/HMMWV. I'm a member of the forum, but don't really participate. If they were tapatalk friendly I probably would. The day I get my HMMWV, I will most likely show up much more. :) Hummer4x4offroad is more H3 friendly. They are great with all the technical and mechanical stuff for the H3. It's not a bling forum like Elcova. Members there really go offroading and some are into the expo scene. It was through one of them, that went to one of the Cali events, that I found out about this forum. You may have also seen stuff on web mags like HummerGuy and Jalopnik. They did some write ups. Truck was also featured in Peterson's 4Wheel & Offroad. I do plan to wheel it a lot more. Still a work in progress. I don't get much of a chance to work on it. Later on in the build, I'll write about the few test outings I have done and show some pics.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

barlowrs

Explorer
That's a Jim Allen stock on a highly modified Springfield M1A.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Beautifuil Rig I have always disliked all the spinoffs of the original H1 (H2 and H3), but this is flat out SEXY!!!!!!! (Sorry to Sidetrack but) How you like the J Allen? I am 7 months into a 10 month wait on the JA-700 (J allan stock for my Remington 700). I cannot WAIT to get it.

Last edited:

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
Beautifuil Rig I have always disliked all the spinoffs of the original H1 (H2 and H3), but this is flat out SEXY!!!!!!! (Sorry to Sidetrack but) How you like the J Allen? I am 7 months into a 10 month wait on the JA-700 (J allan stock for my Remington 700). I cannot WAIT to get it.

Thanks. I have no experience with the R700 stock, but my M1A stock is amazing. Once I tuned the barrel tensioner, I got sub MOA groups!!! Love it so much that I was thinking of getting a R700LA one down the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier