Question re: 4 wheel disc brake conversion for Tacoma

cwvandy

Adventurer
Thanks for all the good information and advice. I, too, think that my best strategy to increase the stopping power of my truck is to simply improve upon the front brakes rather than mess with changing out the rear drums. Both TRD and Rotora appear to make front disc upgrade kits. Anyone have experience with either of these?

fourfa

Observer
Different but same size front discs will make zero difference. The Tacoma has good diameter discs with plenty of thickness. The calipers are a sturdy 2-piston design. The problem is the pads are too damn small. Go for a upgraded front caliper with much bigger pads, or save your money.

SST brake lines have nicer brake feel (I have them) but don't actually affect stopping distance.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
This is a complex and an expensive way to fail at solving a problem. Try a simple/cheap solution first. Maybe some fresh rotors (I always go Duralast blanks for trucks and also used them on my past race cars with great results. Do not get slotted or drilled, unless you like them for looks only), and good pads, like Hawk LTS. But remember that the brakes really aren't the weak point here. Anyone NOT able to lock up their tires when braking?

Also remember that if you go with a BBK (Big Brake Kit), you may have to get bigger rims to clear the calipers. Then, of course, you have to buy new tires.

Last edited:
Have you checked out the disc brake kits from Tundra Racing? http://www.tundraracing.com/ They offer one of the only rear parking brake kits I know of.

I don't think anyone actually NEEDS rear discs, but it does make things a lot easier. And if you're towing or hauling heavy loads, the different compounds available for disc brakes is a good enough reason to justify them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier