Kayak Advice needed...

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I am looking at a used kayak - a Fusion Beach by Future.

It appears to be a recreational boat, but that is what I am looking for I think. I want a cheap boat I can leave on the roof without losing sleep about, just to play on lakes, the sound side on the Outer Banks and some rivers like the Rappahannock River.

Reviews here - http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=2434
bring up some of the short comings... but I am very new to kayaks... I just don't want to repeat the mistakes I made on my first mtn bike 20 something years ago... ie just not buying enough bike and fixing cheap parts for a year before upgrading!

so what says the paddlers? Worth it? $200 with a PFD but no paddle...

what else do I need? The air bags mentioned in the reviews, a paddle, something to attach to my Thule bars?

TIA

Last edited:

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
Jay

Check prices at Dicks Sporting Goods, 200 is about what they sell for new, I think (oops, I see they're listed at 279).
We got our Trophy 126's (also by Future Beach) at Dicks last summer. Very nice for the money. Paddle, PFD, mounting system, storage room.....that's all you really need. Well, maybe a waterproof camera, and small waterproof boxes, the storage wells seep and don't stay absolutely dry if you flip. Of course it's fine if you stay upright!
The Trophys are set up for fishing, so they have rod holders and two storage compartments, but we had to add some pad eyes to tie our drag line to and our fish stringers. We did break one of the foot pedals on mine,but we were rough housing (I was trying to climb on the Kayak, and Beth was trying to keep from tipping over). An L bracket fixed it fine....
Get one (or two....Deb might like one too!) and we'll make a Rappahannock trip....

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Anyone else?

Thanks James...

The deal is for two... $400 total. Not sure what I will do with Sam ; )

I searched Dicks, Bass Pro and nobody has a boat for $200. I wish they did! I just don't have any extra cash to play with than about this price point, just hoping someone who had direct knowledge would share.... I am also wondering how many times I will really get out????

I would love another "float" with y'all"

Jay

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
If the 'yaks are in good condition than that's not a bad deal, they'll be worth that for a while if you go to sell them and upgrade farther down the road. You can pick up a fair paddle like the Carlisle's for around $40. We have a couple for the kids and they work just fine. The only 'yak I know of that you can get new for under $200 is one of the Pelican brands. They're a 9' plastic boat with a hard plastic seat, no frills what so ever. Not the greatest boat, but Chip ran one down the Little J with us with no problem and it squirted down the river just fine. I've seen them advertised often at the local Duhnam sports store for $189. But I've yet to see any used middle of the road kayak sell anywhere as low as that.

We just bought Allison and Cam a pair of the new Old Town 11' Herons for Christmas.

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
2 for 400 is a good deal J. Esp. if you're getting PFD's in the deal. If I were looking this year I'd buy em.....if they are in good shape that is.....

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Just FYI, most sit inside kayaks have sealed portals so they boat can't be sunk.

Treenail

Adventurer
If the deciding criteria for choosing one kayak over another is its 'unsinkability' you should stop and rethink. When and how does anyone get themselves into a sink or swim situation? I bought my first canoe, with my own money, when I was 17, I'll be 58 on Friday and spent most of my life in Minnesota....Land of 10,000 [actually closer to 15k] Lakes and I've never been in sink or swim. PFDs are more important and should be considered closer.

Foam blocking or inflatable bags can be added if you need that.

I have a Chinook touring kayak and two smaller sit inside 'yaks along with an Old Town Discovery. Utilitarian boats, that's all.

When I've gone paddling with groups I paddle easier, faster and straighter than any of the sit on tops. I've tried to see the advantage of a SOT but I can't see it. UNLESS... you fish or dive off of them. For paddling a sit inside works better. The hull lines are more fair making them easier to paddle. They're lighter so shlepping them around on land is easier too.

Look on Craigslist or http://www.searchtempest.com/ to see what they sell for. Usually, things reach a low price and then get no cheaper. Kayaks can be sold again with hardly a loss.

Spend more on PFDs that are comfortable and don't ride up. Too often people get boating PFDs for 'yaks and they are really uncomfortable so they don't wear them. Danger, Will Robinson!

jingram

Adventurer
Treenail hit it on the head.

Different kayaks serve different purposes. I have a SOT and several SIKs. For straight paddling, I prefer a SIK. That being said, for certain trips I only use the SOT, specifically for our annual John Day River trip and when fishing or diving. Kayaks are like a pair of shoes, they fit everybody different.

We really like Deltas. Highly indestructable, lighter than rotomolded boats without some of their issues with the sun, huge amounts of storage, easy paddling, great exp boats that are still easy and fun to paddle and don't feel like barges. We took a pair of 15.5s down the Yukon unsupported and were able to pack enough food, water, gear for two people for up to 16 days.

I bought several cheap Perception kayaks (I think I paid $399 each) years ago when my sons were younger and we were thinking of getting into kayaking. We never really got into it and I'm the only one that still uses them. I always find that when I'm on the river I wish I had something more suited for whitewater and the same goes for lake and ocean travel. They'll always get you there but still they just aren't right for the job. In my opinion I'd figure out what type of kayaking I wanted to do and buy used and buy better. The best analogy that I can come up with is like when you go to Lowes and see the minivan loaded with lumber and the 3/4 ton pickup loaded with lumber. They both get home but it just isn't the same.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Thanks, I got a...

Thanks, I got a Old Town Voyageur Angler. The price used was very cheap (just need to clean off the camo duct tape)

I think the boat will be a great intro boat and allow me to see what type of paddling I get into. There is not a lot to paddle real close, so I will start in a couple of lakes for fitness and then hit a river later.011512podB.jpg

011512podA.jpg

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
Jay, that beauty would look awesome on top of my Yaris! Might even be able to float the Yar across the river with it.....
Seriously though, nice duct ta......I mean kayak!

Macsimizer26

Anyone know if the kayaks at Walmart are any good? I want to fish and do some floating and these are cheap they are only $250 thanks!

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Walmart Kayaks?

I am also curious if anyone has tried one.... I love the idea of cheap boats that you can leave on top of the truck, not worry about when you leave it at a trail head while riding or hiking...
031212podB.jpg
PS the kayak is cleaned and on the water.

Macsimizer26

how did it handle?

So how do you like that new kayak? Does it handle well? is it stable? Have you fished out of it yet? Is it roomy or tight squeeze?

Justincredible

Adventurer
Anyone know if the kayaks at Walmart are any good? I want to fish and do some floating and these are cheap they are only $250 thanks!

I am also curious if anyone has tried one.... I love the idea of cheap boats that you can leave on top of the truck, not worry about when you leave it at a trail head while riding or hiking...
View attachment 92389
PS the kayak is cleaned and on the water.

They are good for a very basic kayak. I have one that I loan to beginner friends and family. (They are the Waterquest brand by KL industries BTW if you want to look up reviews. The Aruba is the one with the seat back.)
It's wide (30") so it's not the fastest things in the world, but it tracks well and is very stable.
The 250lb weight limit is pretty much spot on, so a grown man can't take much gear if any.
The storage in the back doesn't keep water out very well, so if you put anything in there use ziplock bags.
The entire hull is open, so you may want to stuff the front and back with styrofoam and/or airbags.
The foot pegs are strong, but only made to fit a 6 foot person at the most.
And I recommend puting something under the front edge of the seat. It will stop any plastic on plastic rubbing/tapping and cushion the seat a little. (I use a large sponge which also collects drips from the paddle etc...)

That's all I can think of, hope it's helpful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles