Thoughts on a trailer...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Discussing our 2012 plans with the wife last night, we both agree we'd like to do more camping together (we haven't camped together since 2007 when I had my Tacoma with a shell.)

Thing is, the interior of the 4runner is a little bit too small for two people, a dog and our gear (it's OK for one person which is why I've camped solo for the last year or so.) But she mentioned the possibility of a trailer. I have to admit, up until she said that I had never seriously considered it but now she's got me thinking...

But I don't know much about camping trailers, to be honest. I've seen the big "pop up" trailers but those are way, way more than we need (there are only two of us and a 40lb dog.)

When I was at the Maze District of Canyonlands in 2008, there was a guy who was set up near me on the first night, he had an older model Suzuki Sidekick 4 door and he was pulling a very small pop up trailer. It worked the same way as the 'big' pop-ups, that is, the center section raised up and there were side 'wings" that folded out and canvas/fabric sides but I swear the whole thing wasn't longer than 5 - 6' when folded up. Does anyone know what those are and where I can find one? it seems like it might work well for our needs.

The other thing I liked about this persons' setup was that it looked like the trailer had fairly decent sized wheels (maybe 15") and decent suspension travel, meaning it wouldn't compromise off-road-ability too much (I understand a trailer will keep me off of some trails, but if it gets me more camping time with the wife it's worth the trade-off.)

The other possibility - which I've seen people here use - would be a utility-type trailer with a RTT mounted on it. While that would work for us, I think it would be more than we would actually need for the limited kind of camping we'd be doing.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any input or suggestions.

Pikeman

Adventurer
Martin, good to see you over here. I am starting to build a M101 A2 3/4 ton military trailer. While it is a little big it should work well for a base camp trailer and moderate trails behind the 3rd gen. It was $200 at Gov auction and towed the 300 miles home nicely. I am pretty sure I saw a pic of trailer you are talking about on here a week or two ago. I will try to find the thread and post link to it.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/70920-would-this-make-a-good-project

In the link they say what brand they think it is etc.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I'm sure you'll get some great opinions on the subject here on ExPo but I just finished an updated "Will An Off-Road Trailer Work For Me? The Off-Road Trailer Conundrum" article for TacomaMagazine that will be appearing in their upcoming e-magazine. I'll post a link when it goes live.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
A quick google search turned up some small pop ups that are designed for small cars or motorcycles. I think the one I saw in 2008 is one of those.

May try to shop around on CL and see if anybody is selling one...

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
A quick google search turned up some small pop ups that are designed for small cars or motorcycles. I think the one I saw in 2008 is one of those...

Pay close attention to the frame, axle and suspension of these. While there undoubtedly some models out there up to the rigors of trail use, most of the ones I've seen first person have been very light duty, literally designed to be towed down the smooth interstate. It may be an option to beef up the undercarriage but at what cost?

Yellowkayak

Adventurer
Check these sites;

http://www.pop-up-campers-trailer.com/pop-up-camper-manufacturers.html

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=n937jlbdkujknnrf1ru2g3h516;wwwRedirect

Fleetwood no longers makes popup campers, but the equivalent is Jayco. There are dozens of manufactureres that makes tiny popups. I personally ahve a 2007 Fleetwood Niagra rigged for boondocking with solar and generator, as well as a new water ctach system to keep my fresh water tank full. We have toilet, shower, stove, oven micro wave....yup...we are spoiled. Plus I did an axle flip and gained six inches of body clearance to go off roading...nothing severve, mostly logging roads.

JJ

jim65wagon

It's not a pop-up but would something like this Teardrop (not mine - I just saw it on Ebay)suit you? Small, lightweight, if you can find a used one with a box frame (some of the home-built versions use HF angle iron frames). A set of nice tires and it could follow you just about anywhere....

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Pay close attention to the frame, axle and suspension of these. While there undoubtedly some models out there up to the rigors of trail use, most of the ones I've seen first person have been very light duty, literally designed to be towed down the smooth interstate. It may be an option to beef up the undercarriage but at what cost?

Well, that's why I need to see them in person. As I said above, I'm willing to accept some reduction in off-road capability, but something that will restrict me to paved roads is a non-starter.

Of course, the one I saw in 2008 was at Hans Flat which is at the entrance to the Maze District, and was 45 miles from the nearest paved road. Furthermore, I saw that guy on the road to High Spur and Horseshoe Canyon (classified by the NPS as a "High clearance 4wd road") the next day. That's the kind of capability I'm looking for.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
It's not a pop-up but would something like this Teardrop (not mine - I just saw it on Ebay)suit you? Small, lightweight, if you can find a used one with a box frame (some of the home-built versions use HF angle iron frames). A set of nice tires and it could follow you just about anywhere....

Wife and I both love the teardrop trailers but weight and cost might be against them. The inability to sit up is also something of an issue.

jim65wagon

Wife and I both love the teardrop trailers but weight and cost might be against them. The inability to sit up is also something of an issue.

At 1000 lbs the Silver Shadow we rented last summer is lighter than just about any pop-up you can find. And you can sit-up perfectly well inside.....what you can't do is stand-up inside them....
Cost will be an issue, of course, whichever road you take.

ghutch

Observer
pikeman is right....the 101'series are great for most apps....adding a roof top tent does not effect the ability to haul and be used for storage or a utility trailer. I pull these trailers with a Tacoma pickup v6 without any problems. Google & youtube has some cool modded 101-3's. they are heavy duty:)

lowenbrau

Explorer
Consider a Kamparoo. They are just an overgrown tent on casters but they are big enough to get you a good night's sleep and a meal out of the elements if they need to.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
What is the "civilian equivalent" of an M101 or M416?

So the quest continues...We had a big "Outdoor Expo" in Denver this weekend and the wife suggested we go to see what they had, camper wise. We saw some nice off-road trailers (can't remember the brand - it was NOT Adventure Trailers though) and some other lightweight trailers.

But it got me to thinking: Most of the "adventure type" trailers were essentially a small M416-type trailer with some sort of pop-up tent on top.

Now I know folks here get the 1/4 ton military surplus trailers and throw a RTT on them, and that seems great. My only concern would be (1) the fact that old military trailers are, IMO, excessively heavy (more trailer to pull = less cargo I can carry, and the weight of the trailer = more wear-and-tear of the tires, suspension, etc.) and (2) the fact that it's kind of a 'crap shoot' as to whether you get a nice trailer or a rusting hulk that will not be roadworthy without lots of work. Prices seem to be all over the place, too.

So my question is: What would be the modern equivalent (in terms of size and capability) to the venerable M416? To me, the 416/100 has another drawback if you put a RTT on it: No tailgate! So you have to rig up some kind of lift mechanism if you want to be able to use the storage space underneath the RTT.

Now I know AT is a sponsor here, and props to them for that, but I just have to say that like a lot of things "ExPo", AT is just a little too rich for my blood. Not gonna spend $8k on a bare-bones trailer and then another $1500 to put an RTT on it.

I'm thinking something more in the $1500 - $2000 range for the basic trailer. Also looking for light weight which is why I'd have preference for plastic, fiberglass, aluminum or really anything lighter than steel (not wood, though - I need something more durable than that.)

So any ideas would be appreciated...

Pikeman

Adventurer
So the quest continues...We had a big "Outdoor Expo" in Denver this weekend and the wife suggested we go to see what they had, camper wise. We saw some nice off-road trailers (can't remember the brand - it was NOT Adventure Trailers though) and some other lightweight trailers.

But it got me to thinking: Most of the "adventure type" trailers were essentially a small M416-type trailer with some sort of pop-up tent on top.

Now I know folks here get the 1/4 ton military surplus trailers and throw a RTT on them, and that seems great. My only concern would be (1) the fact that old military trailers are, IMO, excessively heavy (more trailer to pull = less cargo I can carry, and the weight of the trailer = more wear-and-tear of the tires, suspension, etc.) and (2) the fact that it's kind of a 'crap shoot' as to whether you get a nice trailer or a rusting hulk that will not be roadworthy without lots of work. Prices seem to be all over the place, too.

So my question is: What would be the modern equivalent (in terms of size and capability) to the venerable M416? To me, the 416/100 has another drawback if you put a RTT on it: No tailgate! So you have to rig up some kind of lift mechanism if you want to be able to use the storage space underneath the RTT.

Now I know AT is a sponsor here, and props to them for that, but I just have to say that like a lot of things "ExPo", AT is just a little too rich for my blood. Not gonna spend $8k on a bare-bones trailer and then another $1500 to put an RTT on it.

I'm thinking something more in the $1500 - $2000 range for the basic trailer. Also looking for light weight which is why I'd have preference for plastic, fiberglass, aluminum or really anything lighter than steel (not wood, though - I need something more durable than that.)

So any ideas would be appreciated...

Ok to answer a couple questions... most of them are based on the 416 or the 100. I believe the 416 and Canandian 101 both have tailgates, are the 1/4 ton and don't weigh much and even the M101 A2 weighs in around 1200lbs. Also can tell you that even fully loaded with tons of equipment for several day excursion you would be hard pressed to be adding 700-1000lbs. Take a look at the dry weights of the common manufacturers trailers and you will find they are not that far off of military. I am guessing my fully loaded weight with RTT and everything on my M101 A2 will be around 2000lbs being towed behind my 98 4Runner. A M416 style will come in around 1500.

Other manufacturers would be Tentrax, Sierra, and some more on here. There is a local guy that advertises on CL here in So Cal off-road trailers for $3500.
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/bfs/2701627096.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online