Thoughts on a trailer...

Sean VHA #60013

Adventurer
Fleetwood no longers makes popup campers, but the equivalent is Jayco. There are dozens of manufactureres that makes tiny popups. I personally ahve a 2007 Fleetwood Niagra rigged for boondocking with solar and generator, as well as a new water ctach system to keep my fresh water tank full. We have toilet, shower, stove, oven micro wave....yup...we are spoiled. Plus I did an axle flip and gained six inches of body clearance to go off roading...nothing severve, mostly logging roads.

JJ

Would you post a pic of your modified Fleetwood? I'd like to see it:coffee:

Shurppa

Observer
My American tear drop fully loaded almost to the roof with shower tent suv tent 14x14 colman even tent dutch ovens campchef stove chairs and a bunch of other crap only weighed 1080 LBS and towed it with my 4 cyl nissan no problem. they hold up well in bad weather and come in on and off road modles .BUT do you realy want to tow a trailer on the trail. a pain to turn around if you have to on narrow roads. if you want a pop up tent why not put one on the roof? I love my tear drop but its best for campgrounds. I just bought a flip pack so if I want to I can go camp off road in areas I would not want to take a trailer of any type.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Now I know folks here get the 1/4 ton military surplus trailers and throw a RTT on them, and that seems great. My only concern would be (1) the fact that old military trailers are, IMO, excessively heavy (more trailer to pull = less cargo I can carry, and the weight of the trailer = more wear-and-tear of the tires, suspension, etc.) and (2) the fact that it's kind of a 'crap shoot' as to whether you get a nice trailer or a rusting hulk that will not be roadworthy without lots of work.

The M416 is not heavy. I found one years ago and love it. I use it as a utility trailer as well as for camping. I can haul 1 ton of rock or dirt in it and, this is the truth, still lift it off of my hitch. Then I can push it around my back yard. My wife and I call it our big wheelbarrow. It is very well balanced to not put too much weight on the tounge.

I pulled it for years with my XJ Cherokee. I used it as an equipment trailer/chuckwagon with my scout troop. I would load it as full as possible and then off we'd go and it was never any problem to tow. I have a good kitchen set up that I put on the side of it. I even pulled around the White Rim Trail twice completely loaded. Once with bikes on top of the load.

They do not come with a tailgate. Mine had been modified to have one, and would not be hard to do for the DIY. I could not more fully recommend having one if you can find one in good condition.

Attachments

• Canyonlands 5-09 102.jpg
    Canyonlands 5-09 102.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 25
  • March-09 061.jpg
    March-09 061.jpg
    659.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Canyonlands 5-09 035.jpg
    Canyonlands 5-09 035.jpg
    874.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Shafer Trail 2010 005-1.jpg
    Shafer Trail 2010 005-1.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 24
  • San Juan Mission 2010 070-01.jpg
    San Juan Mission 2010 070-01.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Well, we'll be looking at a Teardrop this weekend. Home built on a utility trailer frame. Anything I should look for? Besides the obvious I mean - leaks, water damage, overall structural strength, etc.

jim65wagon

Well, we'll be looking at a Teardrop this weekend. Home built on a utility trailer frame. Anything I should look for? Besides the obvious I mean - leaks, water damage, overall structural strength, etc.
other than the typical leaks, water damage, structural strength.....axle bearings, brakes?(most don't have),tire condition, box frame is better than angle but the torsional rigidity of a teardrop makes up a lot of the structural stability of the whole unit, two doors - unless you like climbing over your spouse in the middle of the night. Ceiling fan is good to have.

rat patrol

Adventurer
I just went thru the same discussion with my wife. We picked up a M416 that will be towed behind our Series Land Rover. It about 500 pounds empty and has the articulation for off- road use we desire.

We skipping the RTT in favor of a cabin tent...no ladders to climb.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Unless you want a camper trailer could you replace the 4Runner with another pickup with a cap?

No, that's what we had before ('04 Tacoma) and I got rid of it for a number of reasons. As a camper the Taco is adequate for one person but for two people and a dog it's just too small.

We are going to try a teardrop trailer. Will be looking at one this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz