Using OEM bed tiedown loops...

Bucky

Observer
I just got a new 2012 GMC Sierra SLE 1500, replacing my 2003 GMC Sierra 1500. My 2004 FWC Hawk was mounted on the old truck using four eyebolts installed in the bed floor by the FWC driver when the camper was delivered. It's now going on the new truck.

I would like to try to use the OEM tiedown loops on the new truck, on the lower bed sidewall. Has anyone been succesful doing this with a lightweight pop-up camper? Mine weighs approx. 1200 lbs.

Would spring loaded tiedowns help?

I would like to know the good, bad, and ugly about using OEM tiedowns.

Thanks!

Bucky

jcfly

If it were my truck, I would not use the oem tie down points. They just don't have the heavy duty mount strength that the eye bolts do. Why gamble?

Good luck with the new ride.

eugene

Explorer
I'm using them on my 2004, its held up fine on a few WV trips through the mountain roads and up the dirt trails on our farm.

Bucky

Observer
Hi guys,

Thanks for the quick replies.

Eugene, how much does the Palomino weigh?

Bucky

Last edited:

rotti

Adventurer
I would call FWC about the tie down system. I seem to recall that what you want to do is a no no (per FWC).

My new FWC Granby back in 1983 also was bolted thru the floor with four elevator bolts. Never had a single problem with that system.
Why not just go old school? Thats how the factory did it for years.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Personaly, I would see how the stock hooks are attached to the bed. If they are simple lag type metal screws, no. But if they are bolted connections, I would go for it.

My camper is attached to the stock bolted points. Have beaten the crap outta the thing with No issues.

That's my 2 cents, but Im cheap. :ylsmoke:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I tried the factory tie downs on my 2007 Classic with my FWC Hawk. The driver's front factory tie down broke and is only hanging on with the lower section.

I now have eyebolts through the floor.

Jack

Bucky

Observer
Just got the 2004 FWC Hawk mounted on the 2012 Sierra.

Got a major surprise when I discovered the 2012 bed rails were too high. Plus, the tailgate opening bottom corners are rounded; the Hawk's squared back end would catch on those corners and never set down on the DeeZee rubber bed mat.

Solved both problems by spacing out six four-foot 2x4s on the bed mat, which raised the camper enough to clear the bed rails and rounded corners. I wonder if the current FWC Hawk design fits my truck's clearances.

Re the GMC OEM tiedowns, you can't see how they're attached. I'll do some test runs to see how the camper stays cinched down.

Thanks for the help.

Happy New Year!

Bucky

Last edited:

docdave

Aspiring overlander
remember the good old days when truck boxes were the same size and shape..........waxing nostalgic.

Bucky

Observer
FOLLOW-UP:

After 5,000+ miles, I just again checked the turnbuckles attached to the OEM tiedown loops in the corners of the 2012 Sierra.

All were rock solid, with no wiggle or slop in the turnbuckles or tiedowns, which indicates to me that the GM OEM tiedowns can be used with a lightweight pop-up camper (2004 FWC Hawk). (NOTE: I use locknuts on the turnbuckles. The camper optioned out to approx. 1200 lbs.)

No off-road driving like a lot of you guys, but I figure driving over the crummy I-495 bridges at speed on the way up to Maine and back (many times this summer) put a lot of stress under load on those tiedowns.

I know FWC requires a waiver for new campers installed this way, and I can understand the liability issue, especially being unable to know the condition of every OEM tiedown loop on every truck. In my case, however, this was a brand new truck that had never had anything cinched down to the OEM tiedowns.

Anyway, that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. If I do experience an OEM tiedown failure, I'll be sure to report it on this thread.

Bucky

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
FOLLOW-UP:
snip...
I know FWC requires a waiver for new campers installed this way, and I can understand the liability issue, especially being unable to know the condition of every OEM tiedown loop on every truck. In my case, however, this was a brand new truck that had never had anything cinched down to the OEM tiedowns.
snip...
Bucky

Nice update. Smart of FWC to require a waiver. They have no control (nor should have liability) over what people might do.

I too used my OE tie-down points to get my (used) camper home, but later installed real eyebolts through the bed, which I think are better for my application.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I used the front factory tie downs (06 GMC) when I picked up my Hallmark. My box is pretty beat, but I could see the tie downs (which are tac welded in from the back with a decent backer plate) flexing as I cranked the turnbuckles down. The did hold just fine though, for several trips. I eventually tossed the camper around a bit, and tweaked one of them a bit, so I added forged eye bolts to the front corners. I think you'll be fine with a lightweight camper and not much offroad use.
Chris

Bucky

Observer
Final update . . .

Okay, Gang,

I offloaded the FWC Hawk from the 2012 GMC Sierra ext. cab on Nov. 30th; the camper was on the truck for exactly 11 months and well over 8,000 miles.

The OEM tiedowns were rock solid. I checked the turnbuckles 3 times, I think, while the camper was on; very little tightening was required the first time, and none afterwards. There were no rub marks on the bed sidewall, indicating the camper didn't shift during all that time. I think having a rubber bed mat really helps keep the camper in place.

So, my take on using the OEM tiedowns? That's the way I'm gonna go from now on. As the original owner of the 2004 FWC Hawk, I know all about having the four eyebolts in the bed floor, like the FWC delivery guy did with my 2003 GMC Sierra. But, for paved roads and state park camping I'm confident the GM OEM tiedowns will handle a popup weighing 1200 lbs, plus camping gear, etc. On the other hand, offroad travel using the OEM tiedowns will have to be signed off by someone else who does that type of camping.

That about wraps it up. If there is a problem with the tiedowns in the future, I'll be sure to post it in a new thread.

Until then,
Vaya con Dios
Bucky

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles