Ram 2500 Cummins- 5spd vs 6spd Manual Transmission

jaygoss

I've begun the process of shopping for a Ram 2500 diesel with a manual transmission and I'm finding both 5 speed and 6 speed transmissions within my budget. I was wondering what advantages/disadvantages either configuration might have regarding durability, usefulness, etc. I live in Denver and will be traveling over mountain passes, so at first thought the 6 speed sounds appealing but these motors have so much torque that I'm wondering if a 5 speed would work well enough for me to allow my search to broaden a bit and include more trucks. I don't plan on towing anything but I may eventually outfit it with a slide in pop-up camper and occasionally wheel it. Any words of wisdom for me?

Booner

Observer
I drove one of the 6-speeds for many miles, and always liked it. It was durable, and I felt it made the vehicle easier to control (especially when towing heavy stuff downhill). My current Dodge 2500 diesel has the 48RE auto with light mods (deep sump pan and Borg Warner solenoid). The auto has been easier to tow with, and I find it much easier to use off-road as well. No problems in 82K, none in sight. I believe if you go with the 5-speed you will be in a second generation Cummins.

Saiyan66

Adventurer
The 5 speed is the NV4500 transmission, which if you aren't doing a lot of towing is great (the gaps between gears are a bit large for heavy towing hence the 6 speed option). The NV4500 has a slightly larger overdrive gear for better cruising on the highway, and tons of cheap aftermarket support. The 6 speed from 1999-2004 is the NV5600 and is my fave transmission of all time. Great gear ratio spread, not notchy and pretty much bombproof. The disadvantage to this tranny is that it is no longer manufactured and getting parts or a replacement can be tough. The 6 speed from 2005+ is the G56 and is very reliable, lighter weight (aluminum case), but has a very notchy feel and not a very large overdrive ratio. In the end you can't go wrong with a manual trans Cummins. Only one I would stay away from is the early 1st gen trucks with the 5 speed Getrag trans. Had some probs with that one but they are a rare truck anyway so most likely don't have to worry about it.

poriggity

Explorer
I haven't driven a 5 spd, but I love my NV5600 6 spd in my 2004 Ram 2500. It gives me a lot more control in a variety of situations...
Scott

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I've owned NV4500 5 speeds and they work very well with a Cummins. You will be very happy either way. Buy the truck you like best, as long as it has 3 pedals...

Texan1983

Adventurer
in the 03-04 trucks the 6-speed came with the high output( 305 hp) cummins and 5 speed came in the standard out put (245hp) cummins

just fyi

19psi

The Devil Made Me
i had a 5 speed cummins truck and it was great. the gear spread was a little wide but with some power upgrades, it wasn't really a big deal.

Patman

Explorer
I had one of the first ETH HO 6 speeds in an 01.5 3500 reg cab.

Absolutely loved that truck. Besides having a little extra power over the 5 speed non ho trucks, the gear ratios were much nicer to drive on a day to day basis. Figure the 4500 is a 4 speed with a granny low, whereas the 5600 is a 5 speed with a low.

If I was shopping 6 speed would be a prerequisite

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I had one of the first ETH HO 6 speeds in an 01.5 3500 reg cab.

Absolutely loved that truck. Besides having a little extra power over the 5 speed non ho trucks, the gear ratios were much nicer to drive on a day to day basis. Figure the 4500 is a 4 speed with a granny low, whereas the 5600 is a 5 speed with a low.

If I was shopping 6 speed would be a prerequisite
My friend waited almost 8 months to get a NV5600 in his '99 CTD. With coolers and regular fluid changes it shifts like new @ 150K. Stock clutch too,but it's hurtin'.

jaygoss

Thanks for all the helpful replies folks! I think I'm going to try and find a nice 6 speed- unless something really nice presents itself in a 5 speed model.

Overdrive

Adventurer
Jay, something to be aware of with the NV5600 trans--this is from the Quad4x4.com site:

"The early NV5600, which is found on 1999 and 2000 trucks had a 1-1/4" input shaft and fiber-lined synchronizer rings. The input shaft was beefed up to 1-3/8" for the 2001 model year after one of the 1-1/4" shafts failed behind a Cummins High Output engine during a long-term Chyrsler engineering road test. Also for 2001, the synchronizer rings and gears were redesigned. Except for the shift tower stub length change for the all new 2003 body style, very little significant engineering changes were made between 2001 and the end of production in January of 2005."

frgtwn

Adventurer
gear ratios

Gear Ratio NV5600
1st 5.63
2nd 3.38
3rd 2.04
4th 1.39
5th 1.00
6th 0.73
R 5.63

Gear Ratio NV4500HD