Marine and other HD coolers

Moderately (read cheap) coolers can be made a little more efficient. Most have no or little insulation in the top. You can drill two small holes in either end and fill it with expanding foam insulation. The second hole is for the air to be pushed out. Allot of time the tops don't fit very tight either. You can make gaskets out of rubber, bicycle inner tubes work well. I am still kicking around the idea of making an insulated jacket. I'm just not that great with the sewing! Yes the Yetis are very nice, but its just a cooler for Petes sake.

UNI

Adventurer
We have the Engel Fridge & Cooler. We put all cold food items in the frig and use the cooler for mainly drinks. Engel makes a great cooler and keeps ice for an extended time, but we found a product that will give you even more mileage using your cooler.

PopupGizmos Cooler Cover, we get at least one or two days extra with ice. We went on an extended canoe trip and before we left, we stopped to get block ice or dry ice, but neither were available. So we had no choice, but to pick up cube ice. Day 4 with the sun beating down on that canoe, with the cooler exposed to the heat, using the Gizmo, we still had cubes left and our drinks were ice cold. We started out with only two regular size bags of ice. I was amazed how much the Gizmo reflected the sun. Gizmo will custom make the cover, to fit what ever brand/size cooler you have, so they fit perfect. They are inexpensive too!

Last edited:

rk_az

Adventurer
When I camp for more than a couple days, I take the Yeti and the cheaper cooler. I keep extra ice and the frozen food in the Yeti with enough dry ice to keep it all frozen. I keep the drinks and other food that needs to stay cold (but not frozen) in the regular cooler, and replenish the ice in the regular cooler from the Yeti.

downhill

Adventurer
Another vote for Yeti. The only cooler I will use. It's not just the good insulation and longer keep time, but the overall quality of construction. I have had the 120 qt and a smaller one, I think 35 qt. The first Coleman Extremes were very good too, but for some reason they seemed to go way down hill after that. The early ones would keep ice for a week easy, even in the smaller sizes. I had one and left it at a buddies place. Never got it back, LOL.

downhill

Adventurer
a little trick I use to prolong the ice time is to cover the cooler with a space blanket. Seems like the sun always sneaks up on you, but the blanket holds it off the cooler.

fooey

Has anyone tried out the Brute Outdoors coolers?

I have been using them for the past several months and through the tail end of the summer months here in Texas through deer season.

I am amazed at how long these coolers can keep ice. I have been dumping ice out when I am through using the cooler simply because I have been purchasing the same amount of ice I would have with my old coleman marine coolers......

like a yeti without the same price tag.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Moderately (read cheap) coolers can be made a little more efficient. Most have no or little insulation in the top. You can drill two small holes in either end and fill it with expanding foam insulation. The second hole is for the air to be pushed out. Allot of time the tops don't fit very tight either. You can make gaskets out of rubber, bicycle inner tubes work well. I am still kicking around the idea of making an insulated jacket. I'm just not that great with the sewing! Yes the Yetis are very nice, but its just a cooler for Petes sake.

The Coleman Xtremes don't seem to have lid insulation, but the Coleman Marines claim to have 2" insulation on all sides, including the lid. Like you, I am not willing to pay Yeti prices for a cooler, but the Coleman marine seems like a good middle ground.

williard86

Observer
I have a yeti...have any of you actually seen a yeti cooler fail. I'd like a video of that; this thing is freakin stout!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles