Reynolds Boughton ex-MoD vehicles

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
The concept looks pretty sweet- 4wd, Van cab, relatively common engine (in your parts)... I love the utility bedcombined with the box shelter. The big downer seems to be that servicability leaves a lot to be desired. Might be a cool collector/occasional use vehicle, but maybe not the best for travel. As long as your handy, it might be worth the gamble. If you're inclined to have an "expert" do everything for you, steer WAY clear.

scottishpinz

Adventurer
here in the UK where these are fairly cheap it might make a possible base vehicle. Having spoken to those who used them in-service and read the reports concerning the brake issues I would avoid them, especially if there are additional costs associated with import to USA. I would have thought America has plenty large pick-ups which would fulfill a similar role.

There's not that much more room in a RB44 than my Pinzgauer by the way, and it was the newer TD Pinzgauer which replaced them in the British Army.

karrier

Hi
I run dodge50.co.uk and have driven & worked on quite a few MOD spec RB44's (5600kgs) and the civilian / utility S75 4x4 version (7500kgs) and in my opinion the S75 4x4 is better as it has air over hydraulic brakes & better stronger springs & the steering when braking is much better but thats just my opinion.

The research on the website I did quite a few years ago and I do have more into to add to it.
The MOD are releasing all the RB44's they have (excluding the 100+ they buried in Iraq) but lots have been stripped for spares, the one in the opening post has just been bought by someone who will be off overland touring later this year.

There are bad points, parts are getting much harder to source (1 track rod end for example £140 + Vat!!) but they are built very well, chassis are rock solid, I put a production vid on youtube a couple of years ago (in house production, badly made with trashy music, well worth watching).
I have managed to add the full workshop manual and parts manual for the RB44 as well as everything else for the 2wd versions.

One last thing: Yes the dodge 50's were originally based on the american B200 dodge vans but only the cab, everything else was designed in Dunstable (where they were built) the RB44 has the Mk2 dodge 50 cab styling.

If anyone needs more info / parts etc just contact me via the website or owners forum http://dodge50.aimoo.com.

Regards
Greg

karrier

Oh if this comes up to buy again dont unless you need to spend time sorting out front brakes cos they leaking all over. Was up for £4750 but I know the new owner bought it 2 weeks ago for £2500 and has done nothing to it.

SteveJ

IMG_0586.jpg

Just a follow up on the RB44. I have been using one for the last three years up in the Rockies in South Western British Columbia. It is an extremely rugged and reliable truck. Easy to work on and I've had no trouble getting any spares I need. It's fast, comfortable, gets good fuel economy 20-25 mpg and yet will take me anywhere I want to go on road or off. It will do 60 mph all day on the pavement then climb up a mountainside no problem at all.
It's got lots of room on board so Six foot plus guys don't have to struggle to get into the cab. The GS has locking side compartments a side and rear tailgate and locking storage for three 20 litre extra fuel cans.
Pound for pound as good or better investment as the Pinz, Volvo, or 404 and just as cool. And a bonus the cab is US dodge so the glass, doors and hardware are easy and inexpensive.
One con is that the truck is a bit noisy but that can be compensated for. 👍

Just my thoughts
Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles