trailer security

Ugly1

Boot for me too, but since going to 35" tires, it no longer fits. They make a hook bar that goes through the wheels and hooks onto the leaf spring that im thinking of buying. Anybody try one of these?

P.s. You can have the boot if you want it Voodoo, works great if you have stock size tires.

This fits 35's.

This is what I got to fit on the trailer which has some 35's on there. A bit pricey but then so was the trailer I'd rather hang onto.

mvbeggs

Adventurer
Kryptonite Cable

I simply use a Kryptonite cable with a max security Master padlock. Just wrap the cable through the holes in your wheels and make a couple of turns around the axle. If someone hooks up to your trailer and pulls it away, just follow the skid mark to your trailer. Poor mans LoJac. :D

Of course if someone really wants to steal your trailer....they will.

Vince1

Adventurer
Thanks Ugly1, but looks like way more than I want to carry around. I'm thinking this would work: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200466898_200466898
The hook goes onto the leafspring, other end pokes through wheel spokes and lock attaches. Tire size doesn't matter. I don't really need Fort Knox protection, but I think this would be harder to hack than a cable. Heck, at 30 bills a piece, I probably could do both sides. Downside is the wheels would get trashed if someone tried to pull the locked trailer. Also not sure if Master lock would just slip through spoke spaces in Pintlers, they may require a custom plate. Someone could also just detach one end of the leaf spring and slip off the lock, but I have a M416, and by the time they got those damn bolts off, they'd be staring at the business end of a .357 Mag.

Last edited:

BIGGUY

Adventurer
The locking pins might keep an honest person from taking a trailer, but to someone that wants the trailer they aren't even going to slow them down. I've had three different models of them and all you have to do is hit the locking end with a hammer or heavy tool. The end with the lock on the ones I had wasn't as thick as the main shaft and also had the notches for the locking piece so that it weakened the pin. One hit with a regular carpenters hammer and the shaft broke at the weakened area. I found this out when I had a basket locked to a trailer and couldn't find my key. In frustration I gave it a quick ********** and the end broke off. When I traded off two vehicles and needed to pull my hitch out, I did the same thing and just smacked the locking end and pulled the broken pieces out.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I agree with this^^^^^^^
I dont worry about theft when Im out. Maybe Im kidding myself.
Has anyone know of a trailer stolen from other then someone home?

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Useing a removable receiver/ lunette

I switched the pintle assembly on my M101A2 for an adjustible channel set up.
I can use a 3" lunette or 2" ball attached with two 5/8" pins.

When the trailer is not being used I pull the pins and keep the coupler / lunette in the truck.
No hitch no move!

Attachments

• DSC05022.JPG
    DSC05022.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC05286.JPG
    DSC05286.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC05444.JPG
    DSC05444.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 15

Forum statistics