trailer security

voodoojk

Adventurer
I was wondering if there is a way to secure a max coupler style hitch to prevent trailer theft? I will be using my 416 in moab all spring as a base camp while im out on the trails and dont want someone stealing the trailer while I'm gone for hours on end. I seen locks for lunette style hitches but what can be done for the coupler?

Maybe im not seeing the big picture and if you take off a certain part of the hitch it cant be towed or something..i dont own one yet so i cant really say.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I use locking hitch pins to attach each side of the coupler on both the tow vehicle and the trailer. I think this provides a reasonable amount of protection as it's unlikely that someone will happen by with a Max Coupler. I also sometimes use a small padlock through the hole on the hitch pin that goes through the center of the Max Coupler. This wouldn't hold up to someone who seriously wanted my trailer, but will stop the casual theft

Bottom line for me is that when I'm in the back country I'm not really worried about someone trying to haul off my trailer (perhaps that is naive of me), and I try to be aware of where I park it when I'm traveling to/from my back country destinations.

Fresno

Adventurer
I'm considering a "boot" like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DENVER-DONUT-WHEEL-TIRE-BOOT-LOCK-PARKING-ENFORCEMENT-TRAILER-TIRE-CLAMP-/120789223518?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BUA%252BFICS%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D190619951223%26ps%3D54

I have seen them in use before, and it seems like a good way to prevent a trailer from rolling away. I'D LOVE TO HEAR OTHER, CHEAPER IDEAS, THOUGH.

$139 seems cheap to me. Hitch lock/hitch removal, wheel boot and a car alarm. In the city, car alarms are ignored, but might get some attention in the wilderness.

mrchips

Adventurer
I do the same as above, remove both pieces, put a lock thru trailer, then I run a large steel cable lock thru tire rim and around trailing arm, or frame. It seems to work well

voodoojk

Adventurer
good ideas guys. I think a lock through the trailer and maybe a chain through the the wheel will be enough piece of mind. it might be me over thinking but you never know who will pop up. I didn't expect to be in the middle of an FBI manhunt last year in moab but it happened! You never know who is running around the wilderness.

shogun

Adventurer
Somehow I dont think simply blocking a reciever or lunette is going to do much. Yes, it will prevent nice, secure towing at high speed, but not driving off with it. I have, in dire circumstances, towed a trailer by lashing it to the vehicle hitch with wire or chain. It will tow, and would be more than sufficient to make off with your high-end property.

I am thinking more along the lines of preventing the wheels from turning or dragging a spike against the ground.

Vince1

Adventurer
Boot for me too, but since going to 35" tires, it no longer fits. They make a hook bar that goes through the wheels and hooks onto the leaf spring that im thinking of buying. Anybody try one of these?

P.s. You can have the boot if you want it Voodoo, works great if you have stock size tires.

Pooch72

Adventurer
Here were *my* solutions. My trailer sits in my driveway, and as of yet, not an issue.

trailercoupler.jpg

Then...

hitchlock.jpg

and finally....

hitchlockpin.jpg

Granted... it only secures the coupler. If someone really wanted my trailer, they could remove the two bolts that hold it on there, throw on their own, and drive off. It could honestly take someone as long to do it as it took me to explain it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles