An Aussie Expedition Camper - Inspired by Expedition Portal

Woods

Explorer
I really like the concept of this trailer. I could see myself doing a spin off of your design, for an ultralight trailer. Subscribed.

GI_Jeepin"

wander looking to get lost
Tassie Tiger, You can come to the US and start a business making these, This is awesome. I would really like to see the completed trailer.

tassie tiger

Wow thanks for the compliments.

I hope to have the basic trailer done (without the pullout kitchen and stove finished) in the next 6 weeks.

I am happy to provide anyone with the plans in sketchup form which means they can build, or have one built easily.

Have just been to look at one of the Foxwing pull out wrap around awnings that the oztent RV5 can attach to. Might be a slight change of plans as these things look pretty awesome.

cheers

tassie tiger

Have been doing fiddly stuff lately that is pretty boring. Finally back into some fabrication.

I wanted to be able to stand on the guards to access the roof area but dont normally like using chequerplate steel due to the weight. However by the time I weighed making shs supports and then using 1.2mm sheet it was going to be about the same so thought bugger it and just went chequerplate. I havent done guards like these before and had the local steel place bend them up. When I got the home they looked like this;

attachment.php

attachment.php

I really thought they were going to look crap and was a bit down about it. Then realised that the extra bits where they had folded it was so you could adjust it to the right angles. Once I had the right angles I tacked it and then cut through with a 1mm cut off wheel. The first try ended up with a pretty big gap (well at least the thickness of the blade) but lucky it was on the inside. I then realised that if I opened up the angle a bit before cutting that it would be fine once closed. Ended up with this;

IMG]http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=89474&d=1330768756[/IMG]

much better!

Welded up the joins, ground the welds back and then used a flapper disc on the grinder to smooth them all off.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Sprayed and bolted up;

attachment.php

attachment.php

Happy with the final product. Think it needs some reflectors :)

Last edited:

tassie tiger

Wow, I'm jealous of your fabrication ability, how do you find time to work on it between 4 kids and work?

Hey

I am kind of lucky in that one is almost 17 so a bit self sufficient. The 10 yo is pretty self sufficient which leaves the 5yo and 2yo. The 5yo is my biggest helper and started calling herself dads 'trailer girl'. Mum suggested helper girl instead :)

So that leaves the 2yo and lucky I have a great wife :)

Thanks for the nice words

tassie

Dgurley2000

Adventurer
Thanks for sharing! I've booked-marked this for future activities. I hope one-day to to explore OZ. I have young-ones and can identify.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Fantastic ideas and very high quality build. Looking forward to the finished product. Neat to see the different ideas from Oz, so very different than most of our trailers here. Great work man.

Way Down South

AN UPDATE

Well after a major computer meltdown and lost passwords i am back sadly with a new user name. The camper is finished - woohoo!

Big departure from original plans and it turned into a teardrop style with an RTT on top. There is a double bed inside with a smaller single bunk running across above where our feet go;

Had to cut the side out to make a door area;

uzeze3u3.jpg

Re skinned kind of like a uhaul trailer

y7udyvur.jpg

azusenug.jpg

Kitchen in rear

emusura5.jpg

uju3u5e7.jpg
with LED lights

Sink with flip master. Left is water from tanks and right from park when hooked up

8uduhy2y.jpg

Sleeping area with curtains

be7yheha.jpg

Bunk bed for up to 10yo

qezu2e3u.jpg

Roof top tent

aze6evy3.jpg

And access

uge9anus.jpg

Hooked up

8ajununu.jpg

What is cool is the walls are 2 1/4" thick and insulated so very comfy!

With this setup we have the 4 yo in the bunk, mum n me on the double bed and the middle kids in the tent. It has the foxwing awning but no shots with it set up.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94