Expedition Portal: The Land Rover 109 IIA Build

modrover

Still breathing...
Wow, glad to see that Ralph is still humming.

Great upgrades! My 1976 Series III has the diesel 2.25, so consider yourself lucky in the power department! Soon, it will have a 300 tdi and many other upgrades to keep it living a long life.

Here's a pic:

View attachment 376429

Wow! That's a great looking 109 you've got there! That Tdi will be fantastic!

modrover

Still breathing...
IMG_8590.JPG

Weather conditions today dictated use of the family wagon to forage for the perfect Christmas tree. 👍

modrover

Still breathing...
IMG_8744.JPG

Gave Ralph's bumper/bullbar a slight upgrade. I never liked the dual hoops (in front of the wings) NOT joined together with a bracing bar. I get that a person could do the carry-JerryCans-inside-the-breakfast thing without having a bar there, but structurally speaking... the bumper wasn't done. So, I welded a nicely coped section of pipe... and cleaned up the rest... followed with a pisscoat of black. This vintage overland bumper/bullbar is still completely sealed and can carry a full engines worth of oil (not that I''m ever going to fill it... just love keeping it totally functional). Good old Ralph... 🍻

modrover

Still breathing...
IMG_8857.JPG

This is a late IIA... and always hated that PLASTIC side grill. Well, it finally cracked apart so I made an aluminum replacement. Painted it limestone to match the top and rims. Full metal jacket! 😉

modrover

Still breathing...
IMG_9228.JPG

Southwest WA, USA finally got cold enough for all that rain to change over! Fun day working the 4by!

modrover

Still breathing...
920BAA30-F278-425F-874A-698D620713E2.jpeg

Good old reliable Ralph... I've done a lot for him & he continues to do a lot for me (both physically & mentally). Family wagon duties to working the land... always in his own time, but that's part of the 70hp charm.

modrover

Still breathing...
02C580F5-A8CA-440E-A3F5-3F4D6756AC69.jpeg

Oh, and Ralph has a stablemate now in the aluminum workhorse shed. A 1967 IIA 109 utility... great story attached to this rig. I used to work on this truck 20 years ago when I worked for Ship’s Mech (Rover shop) in Portlandia. This was owned by a lovely older couple who had a farm. Sold at the Seattle dealership back in ‘67 and has only seen a handful of owners... all in the PNWet. I will, like Ralph there, keep this one stock and maintained like a good custodian of the faith should. Welcome home, Big Red.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier