Scangauge question/suggestion?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Been thinking of jumping ship from my current Ultra-gauge to a scangauge II. Reasons for the switch would be twofold: (1) My Ultra Gauge will not show AT temp, which I'd like to have. From what I've read on the 99+ 4runners, the Scangauge can be programmed to show AT temp and will still show my other neccessary gauges (the big one being MPG and DTE - Distance to Empty, which is my default gas gauge since the 99's gas gauge is so 'iffy.' Reason (2) is that my Ultra Gauge will work fine in my DD Mazda, which doesn't need an AT Temp gauge as it is a manual.

Biggest problem with the Scangauge would be mounting. From what I've seen the SG has a fairly cheesy velcro mounting system, which IMO looks terrible and often blocks needed idiot lights (high beam, OD Off, etc.) I've looked at a number of solutions on http://www.t4r.org but none of them really appeal to me - I don't want to mount it on the console near the shifter (too far out of line-of-sight) and I don't want to mount it below the aftermarket stereo (same issue.)

I'm also not crazy about suction cup mounts. My UltraGauge is mounted on a suction cup but I don't like it because it does sometimes fall off.

One thing I noticed when I had my Satellite Radio was that there are low-profile dash mounts that have a round base with a really good sticky on it, plus a couple of screw holes for really attaching it good.

So my question for you scangauge users is, do you think this would work:

http://www.myradiostore.com/mounts-brackets-tools/adhesive-screw-mounts/si2inadswmo.html

it basically has a flat, vertical face, so if the scangauge could be mounted to the flat surface, I could put this on the left side of the dashboard (where my Ultra Gauge sits now) and it would seem to work fine. But I wanted to check and see if there was some aspect of the Scangauge that would preclude such a mounting.

Thanks in advance!

One of my goals for 2011 is to be "suction cup free!" I want to get my gauge and my GPS off the suction cups and onto a more permanent mounting. I also plan on installing an aftermarket outside temp gauge into an A-pillar pod so I can get rid of the cheap velcro-mounted (and unreadable at night) temp gauge I have now.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
I agree with you - just slapping it on the dash or steering column with some Velcro looks cheesy. My goal was to have the Scan Gauge (SG) look like it belonged. Here's what I did... My SG has been mounted on the steering wheel pod. The plastic shroud is in 2 pieces; I cut the upper piece to the dimension of the SG, ran the wiring underneath the shroud, Velcro it the the internal steering wheel column, and buttoned everything up. The gauge rests at the bottom of the lower set of buttons and is still accessible for programming, easily removed, programmed orange color scheme (many colors available) matches the OEM lights, is in my direct line of sight, does not block any idiot lights, and looks as if it was meant to be there. I also use the AT temp feature - pretty handy info to have. Actual numbers vs an idiot light is priceless information.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Here's what I did... My SG has been mounted on the steering wheel pod. The plastic shroud is in 2 pieces; I cut the upper piece to the dimension of the SG, ran the wiring underneath the shroud, Velcro it the the internal steering wheel column, and buttoned everything up. The gauge rests at the bottom of the lower set of buttons and is still accessible for programming, easily removed, programmed orange color scheme (many colors available) matches the OEM lights, is in my direct line of sight, does not block any idiot lights, and looks as if it was meant to be there.

By any chance do you have a photo? I'm having a hard time picturing this.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
CIMG1424.jpg

CIMG1420.jpg

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I have heard the AT temp and Toyota on the Scan Gauge still didn't work... TB can you confirm it will read the AT temp now?

Finlay

Triarius
I have heard the AT temp and Toyota on the Scan Gauge still didn't work... TB can you confirm it will read the AT temp now?

AFAIK, it is only the second gen that has trouble with the AT temp. Some searching at Tacomaworld will get the right set up for it, though there is a difference between the 05-09 and 2010+ models.

For my Scangauge, I bought the blendmount and used a belt clip from a tape measure to secure it to the headliner.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I thought the 1st Gen couldn't get a reading at all....
AFAIK, it is only the second gen that has trouble with the AT temp. Some searching at Tacomaworld will get the right set up for it, though there is a difference between the 05-09 and 2010+ models.

For my Scangauge, I bought the blendmount and used a belt clip from a tape measure to secure it to the headliner.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
See above... I just started the truck to take pictures for Martin. I can confirm it appears to work for me and others who have similar LC 80's, 4Runners, and Tacoma's I've observed from other forums.

"IA" is intake temp at the MAF. It's flippin' cold out! It does not work for 2nd Gen Tacoma's.

Michael

Adventurer
Santa brought me a ScanGauge II for Christmas and I just finished mounting it in my 2006 Tacoma. Your 4Runner may be a bit different, but I simply mounted mine above my rear view mirror by fabricating a small aluminum plate that is screwed (carefully!) into the back of the rear-view mirror. I painted the plate black, but you really can't see the plate from any angle in the cab. I used the velcro provided with the kit to mount the gauge to the aluminum plate. I ran the cable up to the headliner (about 2 inches), then above the headliner towards the driver's side, down the driver's A-pillar, and then to the OBD plug behind the dash near the driver's left knee area. The OEM cable was just long enough. Works great and it's not too distracting as I can quickly check the data when I glance at my rear-view mirror. At night, the back light in the ScanGauge can be turned off or dimmed if desired.

I decided to use the aluminum plate/velcro method because I wanted to be able to remove the main ScanGauge II unit and use it in another vehicle if necessary. Santa was thoughtful enough to include a spare cable so i don't have to fool around with my permanently installed cable :)

In the attached photos, "TFT" is the programmed AT temp reading (Transmission Fluid Temperature) so I can confirm the coding works for 2nd gen Tacomas (temp is low because I just started up the truck for this photo). The other gauges are showing alternator voltage output (VLT), coolant temp (FWT), and average mpg (AVG) which is blank because I'm not moving.

Attachments

• IMG_1365.JPG
    IMG_1365.JPG
    210.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1367.JPG
    IMG_1367.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1370.JPG
    IMG_1370.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Michael

Adventurer
Reading the fine print on the ScanGauge web site reveals a complication regarding the ability to add a transmission temp gauge via X-Gauge commands. It seems that the coding provided by ScanGauge here will only work if your Toyota uses the CANSF OBD protocol. If you check this page on ScanGauge's website, it says that only 2005+ 4runners use CANSF.

I'm guessing that the Tacoma Collective Consciousness has solved the problem by modifying the X-Commands codes. Earlier posts have referred to solutions on other forums so this might not be a problem.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Going back to the original question, the proposed mount will work. It will, however, require that the Scangauge be mounted very off-center, since you need the flat surface to clear the modular cord and connector that plugs in the back. However, it will work, and VHB tape is more than good enough to hold the Scangauge to the mount. Whether your offended by the off-center nature of the install is a personal matter.

Also, FWIW, while it looks like that mount has holes for mounting screws, you can hold it on with the adhesive it sounds like they provide. The Scangauge readout is very light.

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
I just picked up a Scangauge II for the same reasons....wanted ATF, DTE, water temp, and instant mpg is good too. Right now mine is the cheesy velcro mount, to the right of the steering wheel (but still under the gauge cowl - on a Tundra it doesn't interfere with any other gauges that way) not that it matters since the Tundra is a different beast than the 4Runner.
mhiscox said:
to clear the modular cord and connector that plugs in the back
My gauge has 2 inputs one on the side and one on the back, so you can route the cable to either location to get it to "fit" correctly
The ATF works on a 2003 Tundra, and if all the internet searching I did is correct it also works on the 2003 and earlier Tacomas and 4Runners. It's even the same code (one of maybe 6 codes I found for ATF should work)

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Going back to the original question, the proposed mount will work. It will, however, require that the Scangauge be mounted very off-center, since you need the flat surface to clear the modular cord and connector that plugs in the back. However, it will work, and VHB tape is more than good enough to hold the Scangauge to the mount. Whether your offended by the off-center nature of the install is a personal matter.

The mount in question is only $10, for that kind of money I don't mind experimenting a bit. Seems to me I could just take a dremel tool to the mount to cut a hole or slot big enough for the cable to go through and still be centered...

My gauge has 2 inputs one on the side and one on the back, so you can route the cable to either location to get it to "fit" correctly

Even better. ;)

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
But do you really want to clutter your dash?

Hence why I offered the alternative mounting solution; the cut piece is easily replaced with an OEM fascia, and why I purchased a replacement before cutting. I just didn't know how to say it nicely... :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles