Best Mods

livetoride

Adventurer
I have been a long time LC fanatic, but recently have converted to the right side. While I was on the LC forums there was a modification sticky that I really liked. They had a couple of threads, one was for the best mod under $100 and another one was for the best and worst mod. List your best and worst mods and why. For me the best, well cheapest mod, I did was switching out all the interior lights to LEDs. Provided a much better and brighter light and did not drain my battery. Great for camping. The worst mod so far has been nothing.

Howski

Cheap mod: Removing my front and rear sway bars. It's free, increases articulation in off camber situations quite a bit and makes for a smoother ride off road. At times it can get a little jumpy at higher speeds but I certainly wouldn't call it dangerous by any means, just requires a little more attention to be paid when driving on the freeway. Could also include trimming the rear quarter panels for those of you with DII's out there. I did this when I had my old factory rear bumper and found trimming just a few inches eliminated a lot of clearance and scraping issues in the rear.
Best mod: Detroit Locker in the rear of my DII. It's really increased the ability of my truck a lot. I'm still on stock axle shafts and have been since I put it in over a year ago. I have not had any issues with them. I'm just a little more cautious of wheel spin and keep a spare set with me incase one does happen to fail. I have a Detroit Tru Trac on the way for the front axle and I'm really looking forward to getting that in.
Worst mod: I really made a mistake getting a front bumper from a sub-par vendor because it was really cheap. He screwed several people out of their deposits during a group buy. Luckily (or unluckily) I received mine months after I was supposed to. The bumper itself was a piece of junk too. Didn't really fit right and was incredibly weak. Eventually, and luckily, I finally ended up with the bumper I wanted from Rovertym.

My overall advice for everyone would be think before you mod. Make sure your getting what you want, even if it does cost a little extra, because that's probably what you'll end up with in the end anyways.

mick968

Observer
Best Mods(not cheapest)

For my Rovers application it was definitely installing ARB's front and rear along with HD axles.Made vehicle much capable as well relieveing stress on drivetrain/suspension components during those challenging situations.

fishEH

Explorer
Best Free: Tie between removing front and rear sway bars, and mud shields from all four wheels.

Best sub-$50: Rear door panel. Made from free from a large old aluminum street sign. $20 for Jack nuts and SS screws.
utf-8BSU1BRzA0NDMuanBn.jpg

Best sub-$100: Not a Modification but I LOVE my 1"x30' Kinetic Yanker from Master Pull. That thing is awesome!

Best sub-$500: My parts truck. Paid $400 for it. Paid for itself many times over already.
P1250248.jpg

Best big $$: ARB rear locker. Haven't installed it yet but I know its going to rock!!!

Worst Mod: Bottorf rear bumper and sliders. I actually got my product but the quality is sub-par and for the price it wasn't worth the headache. On the plus side I'm replacing my Bottorf crap with RockStar Fab armor. :sombrero:

mick968

Observer
Best Free: Tie between removing front and rear sway bars, and mud shields from all four wheels.

Best sub-$50: Rear door panel. Made from free from a large old aluminum street sign. $20 for Jack nuts and SS screws.
utf-8BSU1BRzA0NDMuanBn.jpg

Best sub-$100: Not a Modification but I LOVE my 1"x30' Kinetic Yanker from Master Pull. That thing is awesome!

Best sub-$500: My parts truck. Paid $400 for it. Paid for itself many times over already.
P1250248.jpg

Best big $$: ARB rear locker. Haven't installed it yet but I know its going to rock!!!

Worst Mod: Bottorf rear bumper and sliders. I actually got my product but the quality is sub-par and for the price it wasn't worth the headache. On the plus side I'm replacing my Bottorf crap with RockStar Fab armor. :sombrero:

Good stuff Brett! Wish I had your creativity. You will dig the ARB(and Rockstar Bump).What are your (Colorado?) expedition plans this summer?

overlander

Expedition Leader
great Thread!

My best mod so far was converting to diesel. All ignition coils suck. ECU's suck. And I'm still trying to forget all the times that OEM and aftermarket distributors were involved in a plot to ruin my life.

My best mod under $50 for a Defender was switching the mirrors to convex. This is a "gotta do" and the very first mod I would recommend doing on a Defender.

Worst mod. ANY rushed wiring job. wiring jobs need to be thought out and done with quality connections. Rushed jobs will certainly fail in time and at the worst possible time, and probably have a poor color choice that makes troubleshooting hard to diagnose.

After wiring, the next worse mod is drilling or cutting into your body or interior panels to install something that you haven't taken time to really think out. ie Impulse drilling. Any idea involving drilling or cutting needs at least 1 week of pondering before beginning. 1 month is even better. Most ideas will be modified from original concept after some time in the brain oven.

ntan

Adventurer
Best: D2 cupholders in both of my '95 RRCs (now I just have to find a way to get it to fit in my '91 Hunter)

#2nd best: Hella H4 headlight upgrades - now I can see at night!

fishEH

Explorer
Good stuff Brett! Wish I had your creativity. You will dig the ARB(and Rockstar Bump).What are your (Colorado?) expedition plans this summer?

Still hoping to do a 2 week overland and hiking trip through CO in August. The lack of overtime at work is killing me though.

Olywa

Observer
Best: D2 cupholders in both of my '95 RRCs (now I just have to find a way to get it to fit in my '91 Hunter)

#2nd best: Hella H4 headlight upgrades - now I can see at night!

I agree so far the cup holders are the best upgrade I have done.

mick968

Observer
Still hoping to do a 2 week overland and hiking trip through CO in August. The lack of overtime at work is killing me though.

We are planning on being (Breckenridge area) July 27 thru Aug.5. Had great time there last year during LRNR so we thought repeat performance.That area has everything we are looking for(Off-Road,Flyfishing,Mtn biking,Lots of bars) Stop by and hang out if you are in vicinity

Disco2Guy

Observer
Best $$$$ mod, RTE front bumper and Warn xd9000i winch with syn rope
Best $$$ mod, CDL linkage from an '04 D2
Best $$ mod, Farm-Tek flooring for the SD rack
Best $ mod, Rear fender trimming and (rear) sway bar removal

Ray_G

Explorer
Best $$$ mod is a winch + synthetic rope; saves a lot of wear and tear to just pull cable instead of skinny pedal and enthusiasm.
Best $$ mod is the rear door setup, was fun and adds a lot of utility to the back of the truck
Rear door 2 (Small).JPG
Best free mod is as others, removing the front and rear sways
Best mod that came with the truck is the front bumper the PO built
IMGP2040.JPG
Most frustrating/worst mod is the aux port added on to the stock head unit that has resulted in alternator noise pick up. That will drive me to a $$ mod of a new head unit eventually.

r-
Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles