Cooper STT 285-75-16

WCO

It's Lil' Willi
Hi all, I hear/see little on the Cooper STT's. I have them on my 78 powerwagon and am considering putting them on my 03 Duramax. My only other real consideration is the 255-85-16 ST's. I've had ST's before, and my only complaint is the thinness of the sidewall, I've torn two. I am a pretty die-hard cooper fan, as I have had over 10 complete sets of tires for both my trucks and wife's car, but tell me otherwise! :Wow1:

My uncle got over 50,000 miles to a set of stt's on his 1ton ford with a large camper, and I've been pretty stoked on them on my powerwagon, but still want to test the waters and see what else might be recommended. I'm really not to happy with what I've seen from BFG, and the Goodyear muds haven't been geting great milage...

Any pics of your tires would me much appreciated as well, and I'd really love to hear some input from other STT owners.

Thanks!:coffee:
102_1066.JPG
102_1361.JPG

jim65wagon

I've never had the STT, but I dig Cooper tires. I've run through two sets of ST's on this truck and now I've gone to the Maxx. Have you seen the ST Maxx yet? Same carcass as the STT, but with an aggressive AT style.....I've got 12,000 on a set right now. Quieter than the ST, but just as capable.....

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
My PW has them now in a 295/70-17

061-3.jpg

And my JK had them in a 285/75-16

TruckLiteDrivingLites010.jpg

My favorite all time tire.

Last edited:
attachment.php

No complaints with mine at all. Was thinking maybe going with that size next but still undecided as I like to play in the sand and that is a bit narrower then my current 305/70/16. Hilldweller can you please verify the size on your PW.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Hilldweller can you please verify the size on your PW.
33.5" 295/70-17.
As far as I know, the only brands in that size that are worth the cheese are the STTs by Cooper and Toyo's much more expensive MT.

The tread depth is a whopping 20.5/32 also. One of the reasons I got them since the 285s were mostly all 18/32 deep.
They're wearing great, btw. My stock BFGs wore out in 14,000 miles; these have almost zero wear in over 5,000 miles.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Ive got em on my XJ, and had them on my Toyota. LOVE STT's. I also have ST's on my Daily Driver XJ

35"

IMG_20111214_153931.jpg

31"

SS100280.jpg

235'S on my DD

DSC01417.jpg

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...
My uncle got over 50,000 miles to a set of stt's on his 1ton ford with a large camper, and I've been pretty stoked on them on my powerwagon, but still want to test the waters and see what else might be recommended. snip......

A very timely post as prior to reading this last night I found myself considering the STT for the first time in a long time. I typically like less void for less noise, but the STTs are pretty inexpensive on a couple online stores, and the 17" 285 sizes I could get are load-range-D (preferred over E). I was concerned about quick wear but your Uncle's experience shows that long wear is possible. I assume they were down to 2–3/32" with 50k on them?

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...
33.5" 295/70-17. The tread depth is a whopping 20.5/32 also. One of the reasons I got them since the 285s were mostly all 18/32 deep.
They're wearing great, btw. snip...

Studying the specs last night I saw that tread depth, wow! In that tire, the 295 is not much wider than the 285s (good), but 0.65" taller with that extra tread depth helping with traction and wear...tempting!

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Studying the specs last night I saw that tread depth, wow! In that tire, the 295 is not much wider than the 285s (good), but 0.65" taller with that extra tread depth helping with traction and wear...tempting!
That's what got me.
They had a rebate Visa card at the time too and free shipping.

I replace my tires at 5/32 btw; call me anal but I've slid and crashed a couple of times and I don't like it one bit.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...

I replace my tires at 5/32 btw; call me anal but I've slid and crashed a couple of times and I don't like it one bit.

Yep, I won't run a tire with low tread on my trucks either, as they get pretty worthless off-highway and on-highway if it's wet.

20.5/32" it LOTS of tread on a new radial tire, tempting... ;)

WCO

It's Lil' Willi
Yep, I won't run a tire with low tread on my trucks either, as they get pretty worthless off-highway and on-highway if it's wet.

My uncle had around 5/32 when he replaced them. I'm going to get mine on order here in the next week or two. Lets keep this thread going, as there really isn't any on the STT, and I think it's a tire that definitely deserves some consideration over the designer "agressive styling" tires that are out there!

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
...I think it's a tire that definitely deserves some consideration over the designer "agressive styling" tires that are out there!
Funny, ain't it? Since Cooper makes most of the fancy-schmancy boutique Jeep tires anyhow...

Just for fun this morning, I took a soupy muddy way to work and just motored through the nasty goo without a care.
Great tires.

bftank

Explorer
i have 10k miles on a set of 30x9.5 on my exploder. love them. hardly show any wear. great in snow and ice and mud, not very noisy. still get decent mileage with them. wishing these would wear out faster so i could get a set of 35's in an stt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke