AwesomeWorld Adventure

JeepTreeHouse

Adventurer
We woke up the next morning (Wednesday) to a beautiful sky, beautiful weather, and beautiful scenery. From the ground you couldn’t see into the canyon, but from up on top in the roof top tent we were able to see over the trees and down into the canyon.

DSCF9924.jpg

We ate some delicious breakfast (Oatmeal, Grits, Bananas, and some Eggs). After our wonderful breakfast, Josh decided to quiet up the truck even more so. Any time we would go over bumps, the transfer case would hit up against the skid plate, so to remedy this, Josh took put a scrap piece of rubber in-between the two… yay for improvisation!

DSCF9926.jpg

There were lots of rangers walking around doing some environmental stuff in the campground- one of them was really intrigued with the truck, so he stopped by our campsite and talked with Josh for a bit. Not only was he interested in the truck, but also curious about Salsa…he along with everyone else in the country, at first glance thought Salsa was a little baby Husky.

After we had fed our tummies, fixed up the truck, packed up camp, and socialized a bit with the rangers, it was time to head off into our 100 mile off-road trail.

We went and picked up our permit, drove to Shaefer Trail (our beginning point) and took a few moments to air down the tires before heading down. As Josh was airing down the tires, fate would have it that the exact same ranger that we talked with in the morning at our campsite drove by.

DSC_0022.jpg

He noticed the truck, pulled up next to us, and inquired about our plans for the trail. Josh began to tell him how we had reservation to do the three-day White Rim Trail. The ranger sympathetically explained to us that he could not let us go down on our three-day adventure, because he himself had seen Salsa that morning. Up until last year you could bring dogs down with you on the White Rim Trail, however, owners let their dogs run around and terrorize the endangered Longhorns down in the canyon, so dogs were now prohibited ☹

We were absolutely devastated. The ranger offered his sincere sympathy. After talking with the ranger for a bit, he offered for us to go back to the visitors center and his buddy could for help us plan alternate trails/routes that we could on go on that were “pet friendly."

So, we went back to the visitors center, and after some deep thought and lots of conversation, we decided to go venture Chicken Corners trail… a trail in Moab that was parallel to the White Rim Trail. The main difference between the trails is that the White Rim was in Canyonlands on one side of the Colorado River and Chickens Corner was in Moab on the other side of the Colorado River. We were told we would be able to camp pretty much anywhere along the trail, and that the trail would actually be a little more intense then what the White Rim would be. We believe that everything happens for a reason, and for whatever reason, it was just not meant to be for us to go down the White Rim trail. So we started to become really excited about doing Chickens Corners.

JeepTreeHouse

Adventurer
So to take a step back for a moment - I forgot to add in our trip from Zion UT back to Lake Powell AZ. Please excuse this but the pictures were just too cool to omit.

DSC_0111.jpg

DSC_0155.jpg

When we left Zion we headed to Pink Sand Dunes National Park in Utah. However, when we arrived, because it had been snowing for the past day or so, the entire Pink Sand Dunes pretty much had a white blanket of snow lying on top of them. Needless to say, since the dunes were covered in snow, we continued on down to Kanab where we stayed the night.

DSC_0197.jpg

DSC_0198.jpg

DSC_0206.jpg

Sunday morning we woke up thought that this might be an opportune time to fill up the spare gas can… The towns at this point in road trip were truly getting far and few in between each other!

DSCF9418.jpg

After filling up the spare, we were off for another days adventure of who knew what. We knew our final destination was to be in Lake Powell for the night (for our reservations of Antelope Canyon the next morning) other than that, we had no idea. We took out the map and looked at what might be an interesting route for the day. We saw that we were decently close to the North Rim Grand Canyon. Excited as could be, we headed to the North Rim.

DSCF9419.jpg

DSC_0217.jpg

DSCF9426.jpg

I have at this point in my life been to the Grand Canyon a handful of times (its soooo beautiful I cant help but want to share it with everyone who comes visits AZ). In all the times that I have been to the Grand Canyon though, I have never ever been to the North Rim. I was ecstatic for us to have this opportunity. As we neared the Canyon, we saw signs that said “Grand Canyon North Rim closed for Winter.” (Sooooooooooo bummed-Especially since we are currently in the second week or so of Spring?!)

DSCF9434.jpg

DSCF9436.jpg

We pulled out our trusty maps and see that there is a scenic route that we had not yet taken from Utah into Arizona. As we were going down the scenic by-way, we saw off the side of the road a set of worn two-tracks that led up to a vista.

DSCF9456.jpg

We couldn’t resist…we turned the truck around and drove up to the top of the vista. The view from the top was captivating and vast. We could have hung out there all day long, it was incredible, but we knew we couldn’t.

DSCF9457.jpg

DSCF9458.jpg

DSCF9460.jpg

DSCF9470.jpg

DSC_0235.jpg

DSCF9468.jpg

There was much land ahead of us for us to still go explore.

DSCF9484.jpg

DSCF9485.jpg

JeepTreeHouse

Adventurer
Still on our way back to Lake Powell AZ:

While heading back into AZ, we drove through Lee’s Ferry; home to Balancing Rock and Vermillion Cliffs. The landscape we saw while driving through this area was unquestionably serene and picturesque.

DSC_0253.jpg

DSCF9488.jpg

DSCF9540.jpg

DSC_0255.jpg

DSCF9491.jpg

DSCF9494.jpg

DSC_0242.jpg

DSC_0245.jpg

DSC_0248.jpg

DSC_0249.jpg

DSCF9504.jpg

We stopped to have a little picnic by the Colorado River and then headed back towards Lake Powell.

DSC_0244.jpg

DSCF9528.jpg

DSCF9547.jpg

On our way back to Powell, we stopped at one of our favorite little overlooks right outside of Tuba City. We were able to enjoy it a little more this time since the sun was shining and there were no threatening storms near us.

DSC_0263.jpg

DSC_0260.jpg

Salsa was also really happy with the weather change and enjoyed a little exploring around herself.

DSC_0273.jpg

DSCF9561.jpg

DSCF9563.jpg

After our little rest stop, we were feeling a little snacky. What better to have than some homemade deer jerky? Good thing we were lucky enough that Bruce (Joshs 2nd Cousin) had given us some for the road trip…SOOOOO DELICIOUS!

DSCF9565.jpg

When we got back into Lake Powell, there were no actual campgrounds for us to stay in so we ended up staying in a hotel. By the time we got all settled in we were definitely hungry for dinner, and even though we were staying in a hotel, we still wanted to “camp out.” So, we got out our Coleman Grill made ourselves our hamburgers and enjoyed the sunset.

DSCF9567.jpg

DSCF9570.jpg

DSCF9571.jpg

DSC_0281.jpg

DSC_0290.jpg

JeepTreeHouse

Adventurer
On our way to Moab, we decided first to go visit Arches National Park. Still being in a bit of distraught and in a bit of shock that we were not going to be able to do White Rim, we somehow went through all of Arches taking pictures of absolutely everything, except the ARCHES!!! (I seriously don’t know how we didn’t, but we really didn’t). So, here is what the rest of Arches looked like, aside from the Arches themselves, lol.

DSCF9933-1.jpg

DSCF9936.jpg

DSCF9938.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSCF9945.jpg

DSCF9950.jpg

DSCF9967.jpg

DSCF9971.jpg

DSCF9973.jpg

JeepTreeHouse

Adventurer
We left Arches really excited to go explore Chickens Corner. We aired down the tires, again, put the truck in 4WD, and off we went. The terrain was absolutely incredible. It was dry, dusty, and rocky with sharp ledges, tight switchbacks, rock slabs, hills, sand, and water crossings. It was awesome!

DSCF9993.jpg

DSCF9997.jpg

DSCF9998.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

DSCF0015.jpg

DSCF0018.jpg

DSCF0020.jpg

DSC_0278.jpg

We stopped for a little break at the most amazing overlook ever. Not a person or vehicle insight; it was just the Colorado River and us.

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0151.jpg

DSC_0118.jpg

DSC_0144.jpg

DSC_0166.jpg

As we continued on down through Chickens Corner trail, despite what the ranger told us back at Canyonlands about camping here, we continuously saw signs saying “Camping Prohibited." We started to become a tad worried.

With nightfall just a few hours away, a storm in the distance brewing, and all the camping prohibited signs, we had to make another hard decision: 1) continue on and possibly find somewhere to camp 2) possibly not find somewhere to camp and have to drive back in the dark   3) camp illegally or 4) turn back around before sunset.

After a few more miles of driving, still seeing continuous signs prohibiting camping and the storm moving closer to us, we decided that it would be safest for us to turn around.

DSC_0153.jpg

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0066-1.jpg

DSC_0076-1.jpg

DSC_0077-1.jpg

DSC_0223.jpg

DSC_0290.jpg

DSC_0258.jpg

Everything truly does happen for a reason. Although we had been indescribably excited about doing White Rim, we felt as though we were incredibly fortunate to be able to experience such tranquility driving through Chickens Corner. The terrain was a little challenging at times (which we absolutely loved) but it was also just really awesome to be out in the middle of Utah in complete solitude.

DSC_0201.jpg

DSC_0302.jpg

DSC_0221.jpg

DSC_0195.jpg

Last edited:

JeepTreeHouse

Adventurer
Since we had been restricted from going down into Canyonlands White Rim Trail with Salsa and since camping ended up being prohibited on Chickens Corner Trail in Moab, we decided that with the Cold Fronts/Severe Storms moving into the Northern States that we should just head back South and down into AZ for the weekend.

We drove until we couldn’t drive anymore that night, and ended up staying outside of Monument Valley in Kayenta. We woke up, looked at the Map, and decided we should go check out Canyon de Chelly.

DSCF0031.jpg

DSCF0038.jpg

DSCF0039.jpg

DSCF0042.jpg

DSCF0051.jpg

DSCF0047.jpg

After Canyon de Chelly, we thought it would be fun to explore The Petrified Forest. On our way from Canyon de Chelly to The Petrified Forest, we took smaller county back roads instead of the highway. The nice smooth paved road we had been on, brisckly changed into a grated clay road with deep ruts. The road was very strange and a little eerie considering we were still on Navajo Reservations, nevertheless it was awesome! It was the perfect little adventure that we had been looking for in the day.

DSCF0060.jpg

DSCF0063.jpg

DSCF0086.jpg

DSCF0088.jpg

DSCF0087.jpg

JeepTreeHouse

Adventurer
Our little backcountry road safely took us back out to the highway and on to The Petrified Forest we went. To most, the word “Forest” would yield an image of dense trees and greenery. The Petrified Forest however, is anything but; it is the epitome of an oxymoron.

DSCF0101.jpg

DSCF0108.jpg

The Petrified Forest is home to Arizona’s Painted Desert, the Badlands, and has some of World’s largest and most colored concentrated Petrified Woods. The drive through was intriguing to say the least.

DSCF0121.jpg

DSCF0122.jpg

DSCF0126.jpg

DSCF0127.jpg

DSCF0140.jpg

DSCF0145.jpg

DSCF0147.jpg

DSCF0150.jpg

DSCF0154.jpg

We continued on back down the Rim, through Payson, and into Scottsdale where we ventured around a bit on some back roads before arriving back at my grandparents house.

DSCF0174.jpg

DSCF0199.jpg

DSCF0180.jpg

DSCF0219.jpg

We enjoyed a wonderful, unexpected extra weekend with my mom, grandparents, and uncles. We spent the weekend barbequing, laying out in the sun, and relaxing.

DSCF0227.jpg

DSCF0242.jpg

DSCF0250.jpg

DSCF0252.jpg

Salsa spent the weekend hanging out in the flower bed and did some relaxing too.

DSCF0236.jpg

DSCF0234.jpg

DSCF0243.jpg

JeepTreeHouse

Adventurer
We left Grandma and Grandpa’s Monday morning and headed South, where the weather was still warm and the sun was still shining. We drove past some of the most massive Dirt Tornadoes I have ever seen, drove across some awesome Salt Flats, and even had to stop at the Border Control!!

DSCF0279.jpg

DSCF0296.jpg

DSCF0293.jpg

We decided while driving that it would be awesome to see Carlsbad Caverns, so that’s where we headed. We got to Carlsbad in the morning a little after they had just opened and found out that it was Fee Free Day! (We like those kinds of surprises!!)

DSCF0313.jpg

DSCF0316.jpg

DSC_0312.jpg

DSC_0317.jpg

DSCF0354.jpg

DSC_0328.jpg

DSC_0334.jpg

DSCF0379.jpg

DSC_0394.jpg

DSC_0397.jpg

DSCF0455.jpg

DSC_0425.jpg

DSC_0444.jpg

DSCF0514.jpg

DSCF0560.jpg

DSC_0476.jpg

DSCF0567.jpg

DSC_0479.jpg

DSCF0590.jpg

DSC_0491.jpg

DSCF0592.jpg

We then drove from Carlsbad, New Mexico into Houston, Texas! (Our longest day of driving thus far!) We enjoyed the drive so much better through the Southern part of Texas rather than the North. We saw lots of interesting landscapes and beautiful terrain.

DSCF0602.jpg

JeepTreeHouse

Adventurer
From Houston we headed into Mandeville, Louisiana, where we had planned to camp at Fontainebleau State Park. I went online to read the reviews and research the area a little better and saw that they also offered cabins on the lake at this State Park. They looked absolutely delightful, so I called to inquire on availability…they had just a few left, I got the nod from Josh, and said, “Sign us up for one immediately!!”

Before we got too cozy in our little house for the night, we went out and picked up some Crawfish and Shrimp for dinner! (When in New Orleans, do as the New Orleaners do!)

DSC_0524.jpg

DSC_0525.jpg

DSC_0527.jpg

DSC_0529.jpg

DSC_0544.jpg

DSC_0595.jpg

e878662e.jpg

ac9b88d8.jpg

We hung out on our pier and enjoyed the beautiful sunset before experiencing our Southern Style Seafood Dinner.

DSCF0628.jpg

DSC_0603.jpg

DSC_0620.jpg

DSCF0645.jpg

When we realized that we didn’t actually know how to eat crawfish, we went straight to you-tube for help! After a lesson or two, we had it down…

6ea38772.jpg

Snap the head off….

DSCF0661.jpg

Suck the head….

DSCF0662.jpg

And then peel the shell off the tail (like you would a shrimp) and then ENJOY!!!

DSCF0665.jpg

The Crawfish were really tasty, but me myself, I had to work up to sucking the head, but I finally did it... and it was actually pretty good!

Before....( I was still a little nervous)

ce135c39.jpg

c1eba5b1.jpg

During....(Mmmmm, yummy)

4397094f.jpg

After...( Yayyy I did it)

be82eaa8.jpg

Poor little guys, they never stood a chance!

e6446f39.jpg

After our delicious dinner, we hung out on our porch listening to the sounds of the waves crashing up against the stilts of the house, enjoyed a glass of wine, and watched the moon come up into the sky.

DSC_0723.jpg

In the morning we drove over to New Orleans for a little bit where they actually had a few streets closed off, for a movie that was being filmed! After experiencing a bit more of New Orleans culture, we headed to Florida!

DSCF0604.jpg

DSCF0672.jpg

DSCF0682.jpg

JeepTreeHouse

Adventurer
Not sure again where we were actually heading for the day, I pulled out the map to see what was around. Remembering that our friend Rocky and his girlfriend Stephanie live in Pensacola, we called them up to see what they were up to and ventured to Pensacola for the night.

We all had planned on kind of an early evening since we had to get up early in the morning, however, as we all know, that never happens! (Our early night ended at 3am, lol) They took us first to Flounders on Pensacola Beach to experience “Diesel Fuel.” Mine was yummy (Thanks Stephanie) Josh’s however, his was more like High Octane Gasoline (Thanks Rocky)!

DSCF0706.jpg

DSCF0708.jpg

DSCF0709.jpg

DSCF0712.jpg

DSCF0716.jpg

After Flounders, they took us to Seville Quarter. A bar that encompasses 7 different bars inside of it! Most awesome place EVER! Of all the bars, Rosie O Grady’s Good Time Emporium was our favorite. They had a dual piano with live music going all night long. They even had a dueling between the violin and guitar. The music was awesome, the atmosphere was amazing, and our friends, they’re great!

DSCF0733.jpg

DSCF0745.jpg

DSCF0746.jpg

DSCF0748.jpg

DSCF0741.jpg

DSCF0752.jpg

JeepTreeHouse

Adventurer
This day, this moment, it was inevitable. We knew it was coming. We knew it was coming for 30 days, but I still was not prepared for it. Our month of absolute freedom, exploration, and utter blissfulness was coming to an end. We woke up in Pensacola Friday morning with a plethora of feelings: A little solemn that our month long journey was actually coming to an end but speechlessly grateful for all the adventure we were so lucky to experience along the way.

We said our goodbyes to Rocky and Stephanie and then began our drive home to Maryland. It was definitely a bittersweet feeling. As we drove through Alabama and Georgia we reminisced of all the fun we had and all the people we met along the way.

As nightfall was nearing, I pulled the map out one last time to find a place for us to stay for our last night. As fate would have it, South Carolina welcomed us with a cold, dreary, rainy, and foggy night (nothing we hadn't overcome before). We decided to make it an earlier night then usual and stayed in Spartanburg, SC.

We woke up Saturday morning still feeling a bit solemn but also feeling very excited to celebrate Easter and see all our family members. We enjoyed a yummy breakfast then packed up the truck for its final time before making our final drive home. The weather was still cold and rainy in South Carolina, but as we made our way through North Carolina and Virginia it began to clear up. The sun started to peak through the clouds and smile down on us. It turned into a beautiful Easter Weekend.

We could not imagine a more perfect way to end our journey then to spend it with family, celebrating Easter, and giving thanks for all that we were blessed to experience and see. We saw the most incredible landscape with indescribable beauty, experienced life at its fullest and life at its scariest. We became experts at camping in the rain, snow, and sun, and learned very well how to adapt to life when it doesn’t go as “planned.”

I once heard a man say “The best journey is one that answers questions that you did not even realize needed answering to begin with….”- this cross-country road trip was exactly that for us! This trip…. this adventure….this dream, is one that Josh and I will never forget.

5dcb8ae6.jpg

7317e9ed.jpg

b17b40e4.jpg

JeepTreeHouse

Adventurer
So, as You can see we love our 15 year old baby Husky. Our trip was amazing and it only really wet our appetites for more. For now, small trips will try to appease our appetite for adventure. Hopefully one day soon we will have the means to make a trip like this happen again.

Thanks for reading.

Josh

98roamer

Explorer
What a great photo journal of your trip. It looks like you guys really enjoyed yourself and will have memories for life.
A couple of questions: Is the room really that tall?
DSC_0723.jpg
He has mad skills: (levitation)
DSCF0242.jpg

JeepTreeHouse

Adventurer
What a great photo journal of your trip. It looks like you guys really enjoyed yourself and will have memories for life.
A couple of questions: Is the room really that tall?
View attachment 81080
He has mad skills: (levitation)
View attachment 81082

The room was pretty tall; though I was shooting with my wide angle at probably 11mm. I think it had about 10 foot ceilings because even the thresholds were at least a foot taller than standard.For a "lake cabin" they were VERY nice.

And honestly I never noticed the action shot of the tortilla! Thanks for pointing that out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior