Who would be interested in a 2012 "End of the World" Maya Rally?

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
Ferry is out :(

Looks like ferry to Yucatan is out:

"A March post in the Tampa Business News says the service is delayed until 2013. 'Due to turmoil in Europe"

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Looks like I am officially 'out' - work announced no raises for the next 2 years :( and bonuses this year weren't enough to cover my gas cost (now estimated at ~$3,000) let alone any other costs on the trip. Bummed out as I turn 40 this year and it would be a great way to endmyworld/startmy40s...

Best of luck to those of you that go - have a few local brews for me!!

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Looks like I am officially 'out' - work announced no raises for the next 2 years :( and bonuses this year weren't enough to cover my gas cost (now estimated at ~$3,000) let alone any other costs on the trip. Bummed out as I turn 40 this year and it would be a great way to endmyworld/startmy40s...

Best of luck to those of you that go - have a few local brews for me!!

How about jumping in with somebody and going as a co-pilot?

I know I may have room and I am sure others will too.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
just to keep everyone in the loop...here where we stand now:

-The team is in discussion to add some special stages to the Rally around Guanajuato. This portion would become a bit more exciting than initially planned...
We are considering adding a new class for more prepared Rally Car and Trucks, with an offroad section near by and some special stages. We would also have a more formal ceremony/departure party with perhaps even some sort of parade with the local autorities at the start of the Rally...a lot of fun. We are also expecting a few more Mexican rally teams to join in, which would be awesome.

-For those who are interested, we could also arrange transport of your vehicle directly from Texas to Guanajuato. It takes away some fun of driving, but for those like Matt who has an older 1964 Land Rover Serie 109, it may be a good alternative as you may want to preserve your vehicle for the actual rally between Guanajuato and Bacalar.

-Speaking of Bacalar, it looks like we have found a great connection there and we will be able to arrange a lot of fun activities. We are looking into some offroad tracks on private ranch for those who want to do that, and maybe even a welcome ceremony with the key of the city...

-Dave (TacoDoc) and I will be at Overland Expo and we'll set up a small booth for the Rally. We could use some help with that so if anyone is coming and wants to donate a few hours please contact me - we especially need to help to set it up before the show.

-I personally plan to then go on to Belize and spend Christmas there. We will be looking for a spot where people can camp and relax so for those of you who are interested, keep this mind...

-my fiancee thinks we should take a Gold Trans-Am with the Eagle on the hood/T-Top for the Rally. And that I should grow a mustache. We'll see about that...

:)

78ta35.jpg

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
So is Bacalar the endpoint, rather than Tikal?

yes, most likely. NoLimitX mentioned that it would be too difficult to organize anything around the most popular sites - especially Tikal.

And we have a great contact in Bacalar now.

That being said, it would not be hard to get to Tikal after the Rally.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
just to keep everyone in the loop...here where we stand now:

*snip*

Awesome! I knew this would really start shaping up into an event as some time went by. The only thing that comes to mind is...geez this is going to be a one-time rally. If all goes well it certainly could lead to more of them but the end of the world theme would not suit.

I think you should roll in that Trans Am with the mustache! That would really rock!

I have got some things in the works that may be on the big side of things for the rally. Vehicle, sponsors, ect but not saying anything until it is solid.

Regardless, I am planning to buy the Subaru sitting next to my house specifically for the rally. That should happen in 1-2 months. I then will start a build thread on it and plan to have the car prep'ed and ready to go for the event by October at the latest. ;)

It would be awesome to take a truck more kitted out but that is not going to happen for me in time so doing the cheap rally car thing.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
For those of you who have never been to Guanajuato (where the Rally will start...), check this video submitted to our video contest:

[video=vimeo;38021088]http://vimeo.com/38021088[/video]

WorldRallyTeam

The Minority Racer
For those of you who have never been to Guanajuato (where the Rally will start...), check this video submitted to our video contest:

[video=vimeo;38021088]http://vimeo.com/38021088[/video]

Great footage, congrats! Really cool that they visited some cantinas!

That narrow road they rode down can also be down by car with a normal wheelbase not to long to make the L turns, there are several similar to that one but that one is one of the most popular ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles