Who would be interested in a 2012 "End of the World" Maya Rally?

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
A couple of friends and I have been toying with the idea of putting together a one-time event to coincide with the apocalyptic vision of the Mayan people.

:sombrero:

We would be putting together an expedition/rally/treasure hunt from the USA to Tikal (or nearby) in December 2012 - so we can be at a premier Mayan site on the Dec 21st 2012 "end of the world" date.

The overall plan is to drive from the USA with your own vehicle, collect some items along the way that are essential to survive, and accumulate points in the process. Whomever finishes with the highest number of points would win a significant prize.

The rally would end nearby a Mayan site with some sort of celebration. It would not be about speed and would be open to all kinds of vehicles. Spaces would be limited.

This is still just a crazy idea and we have not put much research into it, but I'm curious to see what you guys think.

Would you participate? Would you like to help organizing it?

2012movie-2.jpg

4xdog

Explorer
I love the idea. Work would try to in the way of my participating, but I'd seriously try to do this, and follow with great interest no matter what. Keep working on this!

Don

Last edited:

Airmonger

Adventurer
Work be damned the worlds going to end so might as well go out in style.

What's the trips duration? Just in case I have to call my boss and ask for my job back should the apocalypse not happen.

trump

Adventurist
I would be in to participate, but would need a solid info soon to start arranging logistics on my end.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
That is a really cool and brilliant idea! What an awesomely irrelevant idea for a trip and sounds like it could be a ton of fun.

I can't make it though...I will be needed here to lead and guide the newly released, rampaging hordes of the Sparmish Army if by chance some of humanity does survive. Why does work and responsibility always get in the way of all the best trips?

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
My niece is currently serving in the Peace Corps in Guatemala, so this could be a good opportunity to visit her down there. Definitely an interesting idea.

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Two possibilities: The contest might help people see there is little to fear from a road trip across Mexico. Or the flashy vehicles with prominent rally markings might be a tempting target for criminals and the Mexican traffic police.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
thanks all for the positive feedback so far!

there are obviously many obstacles and logistics to sort out. But I think with the right spirit, this could be a very exciting and fun challenge.

We are still brainstorming about all this but I would like to take a decision quickly, so keep sending your thoughts!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles