Tongue material input

java

Expedition Leader
Picking up the back half of a pickup to build myself a trailer from. its a toyota frame in trying to tie into. i was thinking 2x3 1/8" wall tubing for the tongue, too thin?

any tips for tieing into the frame? google isnt bring much inspiration today

java

Expedition Leader
"A picture (on your part) is worth a 1000 words..."

I'm cutting it up Monday. Its a 97 taco std bed. I'm going to cut it right in front of the gas tank which is about a foot foreward of the bed.
Jeep dork. Thanks fir the link that is a great strength table. My plan is a A shape but I wont be able ti really run the tubes back under the frame rails.

I was thinking 2x4 1/8" tube will slip into the frame rails where I can then slip it in a foot or so ans drill holes for plug welds to connect the two. Then a fish plate along the outside where they connect. Then cut a notch in the new tubing to create the angle for the A shaped tongue.

java

Expedition Leader
since a pic is worth a million words, think like this, i want a bit more overlap between the truck frame and tongue though.

tongue-drawing.gif

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I think that's a good design, although I do believe I'd err on the side of caution and stick with 3/16".

Any plating you can put at the joints for added strength, in my opinion, would just be a plus.

No cross memebers for goodies on the tongue down the road? What is the finished weight of the trailer..loaded and unloaded?

I really like the truck body trailers...lots of potential.

java

Expedition Leader
I think that's a good design, although I do believe I'd err on the side of caution and stick with 3/16".

Any plating you can put at the joints for added strength, in my opinion, would just be a plus.

No cross memebers for goodies on the tongue down the road? What is the finished weight of the trailer..loaded and unloaded?

I really like the truck body trailers...lots of potential.

Ok 3/16 sounds good to me unless I can go with bigger tube. It will get a full size in bed truck box on the tongue to help with weight balance. That will span the tongue fine, ill have to work on the BBQ mounts and eventually a propane tank and spare.

Trying to keep the weight to a minimum, but no idea what it will end up at. Once budget allows ill build a rack for the rtt. Which will add a bit more. I'm hoping for 600-800 empty

java

Expedition Leader
Arrg! Anything that's a good deal is probably not. Drove a hour to the middle of no where. Got there the bed was a bit beat, tailgate didn't work, tail light was busted. Got looking closer and the Guy had cut a hole from the back of the bed thru to the cab! For a sub woofer. The Guy said it was in great shape!!

Long story short I'm still looking ........

java

Expedition Leader
I sure hope so! My budget is tight so it's hard to find something decent. Stopped by a wrecking yard on the way home, they had an 8' tundra that would have been great but they wanted 800 for the back half :( and the front was completely torched.

java

Expedition Leader
Well a datsun followed me home today ..... ill start a build later when I can get to working on it. Its rusty and needs some body work but I think its a good start

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94