VW Dometic 182B three-way RV fridge?

rideglobally

Adventurer
anyone has experience with the vw domestic 182b three way rv fridge? they are the fridge use on vw westly. i like the fact that it uses propane, 12v and 120v. is there a newer version? the 182b are on ebay for $25.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Really simple, no moving parts, uses ammonia as a coolant. The propane jet tends to clog with age and use, clean and they run well forever. There are more up to date versions in Europe but they run on 240 volts but Dometic doesn't modify them for the US market. They work well on propane, uses about 1/2 pound a day, and on 120 but suck on 12 volts. I forget but I think they draw more than four amps continuous, only good while driving. The low price on eBay reflect the low demand. The big market for these seems to be over the road truckers in Europe.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Can't beat the price, but as noted, they aren't the best on battery power. An absorption refrigerator like this will use something like six times the power of one of the compressor chest refrigerators like the Engels, National Lunas, ARBs, etc. many people here use. The other downside is that an absorption refrigerator needs to be pretty close to level to work correctly; a compressor refrigerator doesn't care. Probably not important points if the order-of-magnitude price difference counts for much.

rideglobally

Adventurer
very interesting, one of my next purchase is gonna be a refrigirator, i was looking at the arb or the engels (national luna not in my price range) but i became very curious about these because they are still use on the vw westly. i am thinking since VW still uses them after all this years they must be good.

i get the high amp draw 4 to 6 times higher that is a lot, but would that negative be offset by the fact that it uses propane, i am also gonna install a solar system one of these days. are there issues with reliability? if the amp draw was not an issue would you recommend it?

jdzl

Installing CPU fan(s) on the cooling fins inside will help - a lot of the Westy people have had good luck with that.

Be that as it may, the general feeling is that they will only cool 30-40f below ambient temperature. So if it's 100f outside, your beer isn't going to be that cold.

Adventurer
HI,
I'm not sure if the Dometic I have in my Aliner trailer is the same as VW's. But it does have the triple power capability so I think it must be pretty similar. It works well. But as mentioned it does not get real cold. But its adequate. I like it.

Sparky

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
X2 X3 X4 on they work but not that well. My dad used his in his VW's (1982 & 1985) as a ice box instead of a fridge as they never cooled well (understatement). My 3 way in my TC works good, but not great. The fans on the fins help (still on my to do list). Mine I usually use 110 to cool and propane from the time I hit the road till the time I come home. Uses very little propane.

Adventurer
HI All,
The triple power feature is neat and adds a lot of versatility. At home when I'm cooling it down, 110V. On the road being towed, 12V vehicle power. In an RV campground with hookups, 110V. In a campsite with no hookups, propane.

Sparky

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94