Ideas for a Sierra 4x4 Trailer build.......

RFDGUY

Observer
Hey all,

I'm in the process of getting a Sierra 4x4 Trailer built. Right now I think I have my build list complete, but I just wanted to run it across the gurus here.

Generation 2 trailer with 3 inch taller tub and tailgate option
Trailer Lid
Full length leaf springs and trailer brakes
Electrical system with 1000 watt inverter
Engel 43 fridge
18 gallon water tank under the trailer with skid plate
Multi axis coupler
Cascadia Tent - Mt Raineer family tent
Rear tire swing out mount
BFG KM2 255/85-16 tires (Yep I'm a pizza cutter guy)
Front storage box
2 Fuel cans

Similar to this one.
10zdd1c.jpg

This will be for family camping with 2 adults and 2 kids (3 & 6) in the South Western US. I'm based in So Cal so we have great options for camping within 1 days drive. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
(RFDGUY)

Pikeman

Adventurer
Sounds to me like you have the basics covered and as you use it can add stuff like food prep shelf, kitchen set-up, awning. I am just up the 215 from you and you are correct that there is tons of stuff to enjoy within short drive.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Wow...good for you having a nice pc. of equipment made!!

Thinking out loud...

Fridge....I'd get the next size up for that crew.

Water....I'd include two 5's(or 20L) also...drinking water and usable water or two different things.

Power....I think I'd include a 1000 or 2000w Honda generator...keep the batteries up to snuff, and keep Mom's curling iron hot.

Rotopax fuel cans...use some of the realestate on the lid or sides.

Best of luck with the build!! :victory:

Pat

JPK

Explorer
Sounds great. I'll second the idea of more (potable) water and a small generator.

I've always been envious of you western US guys and your camping and exploring opportunities. Lots of room, not so many people or rules and weather you can deal with. Too many people, too little room, too many rules and too much humidity around here.

JPK

RFDGUY

Observer
Good ideas. I was thinking about a larger fridge, but I'll also be taking a cooler for drinks. I still like an icy cooler filled with beer. The generator is already covered. I got a 2000 watt gen for long trips. Eventually I'll add more fuel and water, but for now I'm trying to use some of the items already in my garage. I don't want my wife to see any duplication of items, and my garage won't like the extra stuff either.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Just a thought on the frig and the tailgate. If you are going to use a slide out on the tailgate, might want to make sure the tub height is enough for it to work. Saw one where they did all the work but frig too tall to slide with the lid down. I put 3 gal. rotopax on each side of my trailer, in front of the wheel wells and 2 5lb propanes, one on each side behind the wheel wells. Just making use of the open real estate. Wish I had one of Chris' trailers. I cannot get myself to cut my M416 for a tailgate.

Post pictures.

RFDGUY

Observer
I'll post pictures for sure once I get the build started. I'm waiting on my credit union to get back to me on the trailer. I'm no baller when it comes to toys, so a little assistance from a bank is needed. I'm hoping the extra 3 inches will work for sliding the fridge out. That is the height Chris suggested. I'm hoping to get the ball rolling within 2 weeks. Sounds like it will be a 7-8 week build and then it's time for some expo camping for my family.

STREGA

Explorer
I think you have it pretty well covered.

I do agree with a slightly bigger fridge if it will fit, I know Chris went with the taller side walls to allow for better fridge access. Fridges are like storage sheds bigger is almost always better.

I'am running the same tires on my So Cal teardrop (as well as the tow vehicle) and am very happy with them so far.

RotoPax fuel cans work great IMO.

Have fun camping this year, It should serve your needs well.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
You mentioned leaf springs but how about shocks?

What sort of battery in the trailer?

Down the line a solar panel is a quiet option to keep the battery charged.

Also buy a Prodigy 2 electric brake controller

PS: Awning is a great idea in Sunny SoCal

RFDGUY

Observer
Teotwaki,

It will have hydraulic shocks to help it down the trail, and a deep cycle battery system. I'm not really sure on what type/brand of battery it will be built with. That is probably be a good area to research. I'll have to check with Toyota on the brake controller, I believe my truck is pre-wired for a trailer brake controller, but after a little research, it looks like I didn't get the wire harness. Guess I'll be stopping by the dealership soon. The awning will be down the road, for now I'll be using an Easy-Up that is practically new. I can't wait to get this build going. I'm just waiting on the CU to call....!

JPK

Explorer
Good ideas. I was thinking about a larger fridge, but I'll also be taking a cooler for drinks. I still like an icy cooler filled with beer....

I keep a small Engel in my Jeep for a cold iced tea or a cold beer after hunting or fishing. The fridge stays in the Jeep and on 24/7/365. Cannot be beat! Once you get a good fridge you will come to dislike coolers I think. Because the Engel in the Jeep is a small 16qt model when my wife and/or kids or a buddy or two are along for a day trip I use a small cooler and ice for drinks, the Engel for lunch (no soggy sandwiches, no soggy makings.) It works but I wish either the Engel was bigger or I had two. (EDIT: But not a larger one since the small 16qt Engel fits behind the front passenger seat and I can reach into it while driving.)

I also have a 60QT Engel with seperate fridge and freezer compartment. Great but too big for my Jeep or your trailer.

JPK

Last edited:

RFDGUY

Observer
Well I decided on the Engel 60 Qt model. The trailer build should start within the next week or so. I'm going to get Chris at Sierra 4x4 Trailers to send me some build pics so I can post on here.

Calilove1

Jeep & Camping Enthusiast
Sounds like you and I have similar plans. Seriously when are you getting your build started and are you having it delivered or heading up his way to pick it up? I need to get Chris my 37's and rims plus a few misc other items I had gathered so I could build out my M416 but it sold this weekend so its time I get the replacement trailer going soon.

Gokracer1

Adventurer
Sounds like a solid build!

I just placed an order with Chris today for mine! Let the clock start, I got a few weeks and can't wait!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz