4Runner to South America. Should be a good rig, right?

Elbee

Adventurer
So i Have 2000 4runner, and I think it would be excellent to take it on trip through south america. It seems these 4runners or Hilux SW4s are fairly common vehicles so knowledge and parts should be easier to find if issues arise. Plus if you have a couple replacement electrical components on hand the 4runner is a fairly easy vehicle to work on in my experiences. I know they are not as big as an 80 (and being in North america we miss out on newer Hiluxes and landcruisers :( )but I'm single guy, a dog (possibly), camera gear, and the typical gear, that's it. Room is really not much of an issue, I've been out on several long road trips and camping expeditions.

So is there some reason why I don't see more 4runners going on these expeditions? Am i missing something obvious about taking a runner down south?

upcountry

Explorer
Rented a diesel 4runner on my last trip in Costa Rica. Stock vehicle. Had it for two weeks and lots of miles from manuel antonio up trhrough mal pais. Solid rig perfect for the variable road conditions. Tires sucked bad. Got three flats.

Do it! No regrets.

And post up some reports to make us all jealous.

Elbee

Adventurer
I wish mine was a diesel that would be sick! Again North america gets screwed when it comes to getting awesome vehicles.
@ Christian P. thanks for the link!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles