Stock fog light upgrades?

WCO

It's Lil' Willi
Hi guys, was curious if anyone has replaced stock fog light bulbs with amber bulbs, or is there any other modification to stock fogs you guys have done that will help with their almost useless light output?

These are on my 03 GMC

102_1356.JPG

TSAdventurez

Blogger/Adventurer
I tried upping the wattage and the cable running to them but ended up melting the housing so be carefull to not go to hot. a liitle wattage increase will be brighter and still be safe but double or more will melt the housings over time.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Are they aimed correctly?

When I bought my F 150, the fogs were aimed way down, making them useless. Once I adjusted them, it helped a lot.

The factory fogs on my TJ are nice, the beam is only 4-6" wide at 30' out, and even though they are now on the ARB Bull Bar mounts, they still shoot under the fog without glare.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
There are a couple of Hellas and Cibies that might fit in the hole. Measure it and then check with Daniel Stern and/or Rallylights.com.

As for yellow bulbs, there aren't any that are worth the cheese. Clear bulbs have the most lumens.
If you want to approximate selective yellow, try Dan's Duplicolor idea; I did it and it worked great.

nucktaco

Adventurer
i dont have any experience with gm fogs though i dont assume it would be much different than my stock tacoma fogs,but have you considered hids?

i bought a 3000k(yellow) hid kit from ddm tuning to help increase the light output in my stock fogs. best thing i ever did. for the price you cant beat it (30 usd) plus they are so bright i could turn my headlights off at night and just run my fogs. i would consider buying 2 sets as ive had one of the ballasts for my hid headlights (also from ddm tuning) burn out in the past year and a half that ive had them installed and it takes 2 mins to swap the new ballast into place. :smiley_drive::ylsmoke:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
i dont have any experience with gm fogs though i dont assume it would be much different than my stock tacoma fogs,but have you considered hids?

i bought a 3000k(yellow) hid kit from ddm tuning to help increase the light output in my stock fogs. best thing i ever did. for the price you cant beat it (30 usd) plus they are so bright i could turn my headlights off at night and just run my fogs. i would consider buying 2 sets as ive had one of the ballasts for my hid headlights (also from ddm tuning) burn out in the past year and a half that ive had them installed and it takes 2 mins to swap the new ballast into place. :smiley_drive::ylsmoke:
That's not the slightest bit legal to use on the road, you know...

Repo503

Adventurer

Not legal, but if aimed correctly with the foglights low and limited spread it really shouldnt be a problem. I run 35 watt 3k hids in the fogs on my JK and it makes all the difference in heavy fog and serious rain on dark nights. My rule of thumb is if I would be bothered by an oncoming car with them, I wont run them, and I have extremely light sensitive eyes. I never turn them on in town or really anywhere with oncoming traffic...if I wouldnt use hi beams I wont use fogs either.

It does drive me nuts to see so many people using HIDs in reflector housings shining light all over the place though.

nucktaco

Adventurer

dont think i said anything about them being legal?

i wasnt suggesting he start exporting heroin i gave a suggestion for fog lights....

have you ever sped before? ILLEGAL!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz