Old Man Emu Shocks on a F250?

MAD Duo

Observer
Anyone have any luck with putting Old Man Emu shocks on a 2005 F250 PSD? I have searched and can't find any info on their website. From what I can tell on the Sportsmobile website, it looks like they use them on their Ford 4X4 versions. I can't find any particulars on their use of shocks, but from a picture it looks like an old man emu shock. Curious if I could put them on my 2005 PSD truck...

Any help or direction appreciated.

Revco

Adventurer
With OME, usually their shocks are designed to be used with their springs. So if you have OME 2.5" Lift Springs...you'd use OME Shocks (In your case... Front #OME-N195 & Rear #OME-N179)

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I like BDS shocks. Good valveing on those. They're cheap as well. I change my shocks more frequently than most people now.

I've allways been "shocked" how much nicer my ride gets every time I replace shocks. Sometimes I've seen improvements after replacing shocks with only 60,000 miles on them. Apparently trailers and gravel roads wear out shocks very quickly.

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Bilstein shocks are the best performing of any shock on the market for each respective price range. I would check out the 5100 series as they tend to run about $80 each (that's their bottom level shock). And as Buliwyf mentioned, if you are using them off road frequently any shock will require more frequent replacement or rebuild.

Revco

Adventurer
I use Bilsteins on all of my trucks, and just bought a set for my Suburban. One time when money was tight, I bought a set of cheap Gabriel shocks for my '97 Dodge 3500 right after I bought it with 150k. There was no real difference in the ride quality over the worn out Tokico's it had in it. I put 10,000 highway miles on those shocks before I ponied up the money for the Bilsteins. When I pulled the front Gabriels out, they were broken and the shafts fell out and dumped fluid everywhere. I put Bilsteins in it and it felt like I was driving a different truck. Those same shocks were in the truck when I sold it at 216k. I would pull them out every 3 oil changes or so to stroke them by hand and make sure they were ok, and they always felt like a new pair of shocks.

OME shocks are made by Monroe to OME valving specs, but are basically the same as Monroe Gas Magnum or Reflex shocks. I've had good luck with Monroes, but only the higher end shocks, which is close to the price of Bilsteins.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I'm running OME shocks on my F250, had them on for over two years. They perform very well and have improved the ride both on and off road.

ARB still has them in stock, I think they pulled most of the Ford full size parts off their site as it wasn't a big seller.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Anyone have any tips on measuring shocks?

If I go to Bilsteins, I want to make sure my travel and clearance stay the same. Is it just total length extended and compressed, and length of body? What do I need to tell Bilstein?

MAD Duo

Observer
I have looked at Bilstein shocks too as a possible replacement to my stock set up. I just recently looked at Icon's leveling kit and see that it comes with front shocks and I can get rear shocks from them as well. They say a 4" block is required for the rear, would that be necessary since I have rear airbags?

Sub Urban-I'm gonna google those part #s you gave and see if I can find some more info. I need to upgrade shocks and want to level the truck as well with a bumper/winch combo in the works, I worried about the added weight. I also need some better rear shocks to assist my airbags when I have my AF811 with me.

Thanks guys for the info, plenty of stuff to google and see what would work best for my application.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
If you're adding a level kit, why would you need to change the rear block? Maybe they meant that the level kit is level with the F350 rear block setup, and that a F250 block might be nose high? If you want to level without going F350 high you can use a 1" spacer instead of 2".

I think a decent level setup for a 2005+ F350 is:
2-2.5" front spring spacer
caster bushings
Longer front shocks
Stock sized rear shocks
Adjustable track bar

The F250 is the same but with taller F350 rear blocks added, or a shorter 1"-1.5" front spring spacer and stock F250 blocks.

I thought about using a level kit, and switching to F350 rear blocks so the rear is level or taller, and adding a front adjustable track bar to make sure the axle is still centered. After totaling that all up. It wasn't so cheap anymore. I'm going to stay stock for now, and then just spring for a complete 4" system next year.

And the 4" kit uses front springs and a slightly larger block in the rear. So your stock rear leafs are in the stock position, so airbags still work. And if needed, when I add a winch, BDS has a 1" spring spacer for up front to lift the nose back up after the weight of a bumper & winch pulls it down.

Last edited:

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Buliwyf, to order the Bilsteins 5100's you will just need the extended and collapsed length and the mount type (eyelet or stem). If you order anything up the food chain from that you have valving choices and should probably consult a shop that specializes in that.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Thanks. I don't imagine I'll need anything better than the 5100's.

Maybe I'll run the BDS shocks 'till they puke and measure them to try some Bilsteins next.

BCHauler

Adventurer
For my 01 f250, I picked up a set of 5100's for the rear. I have a set of 4" blocks that will replace the 2" f250 blocks in the back. For the front I haven't picked up shocks yet as I'm uncertain whether I want to do a leveling kit or not. I also have a set of Timbrens currently in the back already. Mostly my truck hauls the occasional load of firewood and my old 8' camper.

MAD Duo

Observer
Thanks for the replies fellas. I think I'm gonna go with the Icon 2.5" leveling kit. Under a grand and sounds like an easy install I can do myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior