on the road again

blackduck

Explorer
On the other side of the Cape Range mountains / hills ? is the cape range national park and yardie creek
well worth a visit
you might even spot a black footed rock wallabie
I couldnt get the truck in the shot because i was in the boat - sorry!(exmouth) cape range from national park lookout pan.jpg(exmouth) yardie creek (8).jpg(exmouth) yardie creek (9).jpg(exmouth) yardie creek (12).jpg(exmouth) yardie creek black footed rock wallabies (1).jpg(exmouth) yardie creek rock walabies (2).jpg

blackduck

Explorer
After leaving Exmouth and some 120 k of desert road later we spotted comming towards us what looked like an NPR on stilts.
It turned out to be Adrian (thespoon) and his wife working thier way down the west coast after comming across the top
hes been running in his new parabolic springs fitted just before he left Queensland
let me say the parabolics on top of 19.5" singles makes Adrians truck an absolute weapon
Hes been getting in some of those WA corrugations you just dont get on the east coast and rekons the set up works great, which is hard to hear seeing as im doing some of the same bone jarring bump stop slamming roads on standard springs
Had a good crawl over his truck and Im impressed
adrian n us at exmouth.jpg

Thespoon

Observer
G'day Stu and Deb
was good to meet you and have a chat on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. Thanks to your web site I reconised your rig straight away. We are at the moment in a caravan park at Carnarvon awating better weather (gale force wind/heavy rain forcast) to travel on into the Kennedy Ranges and Mt Augustus. We are most likley stuck here for up to 3 days. (Don't like Caravan Parks)
Anyhow....have a good trip.....we might see you again somewhere.
Adrian

z_halen

Passing through Dampier

Hey Stu

been following your travels up the west coast and i'm really envious, hope to be doing the same this time next year. I've got the truck sorted (thanks to John and Adrian) and the campers nearly here.

Just wondering if you're passing through dampier in the next couple of weeks I'd love to catch up over a drink and show you round a bit. - try giving me a call 0427 004412 (i don't always have phone service as i'm on a ship though) or you can post here and i'll try and stay in touch..

Enjoy your travelling

blackduck

Explorer
We are at the moment in a caravan park at Carnarvon awating better weather (gale force wind/heavy rain forcast) to travel on into the Kennedy Ranges and Mt Augustus.

Adrian I cant believe your in Carnarvon already did you hang around long enough to do the whale shark swim?
Its taken us 4 days to cover the same distance north

Last edited:

blackduck

Explorer
Just wondering if you're passing through dampier in the next couple of weeks

We pulled into Karratha today staying at Cleaverville beach
plan to stick around for about 3 weeks so we can do millstream, point sampson and all the other touristy bits
plus Ive gotta get front tyres - this is the price you pay if your to lazy to do the periodical rotation.
Ill try and give you a ring during the week

Thespoon

Observer
We are at the moment in a caravan park at Carnarvon awating better weather (gale force wind/heavy rain forcast) to travel on into the Kennedy Ranges and Mt Augustus.

Adrian I cant believe your in Carnarvon already did you hang around long enough to do the whale shark swim?
Its taken us 4 days to cover the same distance north

Yea...went out with Kings on Thursday, although the weather was a bit patchy, the water inside the reef was choppy and out side a big swell, but we still had a great time. This Whalesharks are unbelivable animals, nothing seems to bother them. We didn't hang around and left on Friday morning as we have been in Exmouth before.
Regards
Adrian

blackduck

Explorer
well by the look of the weather forecast you could be in for a soggy time in Carnarvon, that should make the road out to Mt Augustus a tad more interesting. Give those big tyres something to bite into

z_halen

In Karratha Aye

I'm still offshore towing an oil rig around at the moment and don't have any phone service.. but after reading your website i just realised that you're ex grey funnel, so when i do get back to dampier you might be interested to come and have a look over the ship i'm on at the moment. i mentioned that you'll be there for 3 weeks, (guessing another 2 by now) so i'll definitely be back in port by then.

I'll let you know via the forum when we're due to head back in and see if we can catch up.

Otherwise enjoy Dampier

blackduck

Explorer
In Karratha Aye

I'm still offshore towing an oil rig around at the moment and don't have any phone service.. but after reading your website i just realised that you're ex grey funnel, so when i do get back to dampier you might be interested to come and have a look over the ship i'm on at the moment. i mentioned that you'll be there for 3 weeks, (guessing another 2 by now) so i'll definitely be back in port by then.

I'll let you know via the forum when we're due to head back in and see if we can catch up.

Otherwise enjoy Dampier

our three weeks might end up being two not to sure yet but give us a yell when you make port and if we are still in town ill give you a ring

blackduck

Explorer
Roeburn through to Point Sampson offers some interesting spots and great scenery from vantage points both called Tank Hill ?
Cossak is a small ghost town that was once the thriving "boom" town of the area. Its history tells the story of constant development and destruction at the hands of the cyclonic weather of these parts
It survived until the boom (pearling) ended then virtually dissapeared off the face of the earth.
Kinda like what will happen to Karratha when the mineral boom ends

(cossak) from tank hill lookout.jpg(cossak) view towards roeburn.jpg(wickham) from tank hill lookout.jpg(wickham) town pan.jpg

alan

Explorer
Did you have any trouble with the locals up the west coast, i have had bad reports from customers who have been over that way recently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier