on the road again

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Haha. It was painted with the leftover paint from that truck actually........and my wife said the same thing. Weird huh?

To quote Bindi Irwin......"Khaki is not a colour. It's a lifestyle." Lol. Obviously she gets it.

Last edited:

blackduck

Explorer
Haha. It was painted with the leftover paint from that truck actually........and my wife said the same thing. Weird huh?

To quote Bindi Irwin......"Khaki is not a colour. It's a lifestyle." Lol. Obviously she gets it.

I like the quote but Im not sure Id be quoting Bindi Irwin out loud :)

youll have to get some stickers made up for the sides of the fairing

"DESERT STROM" (its a play on words)

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Re: Bindi >> Sorry I have teenage boys....

Like the "Desert Strom" idea too. Better than "Strom Trooper". I did get some ExPo stickers for it though.

Apologies for getting your thread off track but sometime would love to know how your Strom has been for you.

blackduck

Explorer
Re: Bindi >> Sorry I have teenage boys....

Like the "Desert Strom" idea too. Better than "Strom Trooper". I did get some ExPo stickers for it though.

Apologies for getting your thread off track but sometime would love to know how your Strom has been for you.

3342_1081374992701_2682357_n.jpg

John
Im not sure you can get a thread like this off track, its an extension of the conversation not the topic

WRT the bike - love it
it reminds me of myself, its big and ugly and spends its time carrying the wife around and has at least one purpose in life.
its got just a tad under 60K on the clock (the bike not the wife) and apart from a new set of rear sprocket rubbers and tyres has run without fault
the back of the truck was designed specifically to take either a strom or GS b,mer but at over 25K it looks like I stick with the strom, although once ive put the 19.5's and parabolics on im not sure how im going to get it on and off (increased ramp over angle)
Im thinking of trading up to a later model in Darwin but it will depend on the color for that year (thats the wife) black for the past couple of years and BRIGHT RED for this year doesnt impress her - might come and get some of that desert tan of you - that'll teach her
But all in all its a good old bus - if you dont mind ugly and quirly its the bike for you

Last edited:

blackduck

Explorer
Broome and Cable Beach
Its very much like every other town up the west coast
One activity is the camel ride along Cable Beach at sunset
I was going to take the truck down to the sand for the mandatory photo but the place is chockers with tourists in thier 4wd's doing the only off road work they will ever do

(broome) sunset camel ride camels pan.jpg

Instead I managed to photograph what looked like an Earthcruiser outing but it was actually camels all dressed the same :victory:
(dont take offence EC mob its just a joke)

(broome) camel ride sunset (1).jpg(broome) sunset camel ride (15).jpg(broome) sunset camel ride (19).jpg

Last edited:

blackduck

Explorer
Derby - only 200k up the road from broome so an easy drive
sending the dragon and camera off to the horizontal falls tomorrow and will post pics if she manages to take any good ones
cant go myself cause little planes arent built for fat bastards - plus it costs $650 each and id rather save that money for my suspension and singles
but in the mean time
heres a BOAB tree

(derby) boab tree (3).jpg

blackduck

Explorer
Hey is that beige??

NO Alan
Thats "Desert Tan" a robust and masculine color for any canter or motorbike (V Strom) for the adventurous man of the 21st century :bike_rider:

Beige is not a color - its a stage of life
and if you need an expert opinion ask Billy Connelly

blackduck

Explorer
The Horizontal Falls off Derby in the Buccaneer Archipeligo is a spectacular part of the world with an awesome tidal effect caused by the massive tides forcing thier way through narrow channels in rock.
You fly out by seaplane then spend the day in a blow up boat powered by multiple massive outboards shooting rapids
The flow of water in some cases is so strong that it creates a 3 meter water step at the gap.

(derby) horizontal falls (16).jpg(derby) horizontal falls (33).jpg(derby) horizontal falls (80).jpg(derby) horizontal falls (90).jpg3342_1081374992701_2682357_n.jpg

blackduck

Explorer
Fitroy Crossing the home to Geiki Gorge and Tunnel Creek and the site for what was nearly catastrophie for my long suffering V strom
Geiki Gorge channels the mighty Fitzroy River for a few hundred kilometers and is a great place to visit, its home to all kinds of beasties including freshwater crocs and big barra (apparently), if your in the area its well worth a visit

(fitzroy crossing) Geiki gorge (6).jpg(fitzroy crossing) Geiki gorge FW croc (1).jpg(fitzroy crossing) Geiki gorge FW croc (11).jpg(fitzroy crossing) Geiki gorge FW croc (41).jpg

Tunnel creek is a 2km long section of cave cut by the river flowing in the wet season, the best part about it is the river still flows in the dry and to explore it you have to get wet, which was great considering the weather weve been having lately. For the most part its only knee to thigh deep although in some parts you will get your girlie bits wet

(fitzroy crossing) Tunnel Creek (6).jpg(fitzroy crossing) tunnel creek (32).jpg(fitzroy crossing) tunnel creek (33).jpg(fitzroy crossing) tunnel creek (39).jpg

On the way back from Tunnel Creek after a rough creek crossing I noticed in my mirror somthing strange about the bike sitting on the back, I was going to drive a tad further but decided to stop, lucky because the rear tie down had snapped and the back wheel had jumped out of its slot and onto the edge of the tray, one more bounce and it would have fallen to be left hanging by its front forks, and by myself I would never have saved it.

bike bounced off (2).jpg

fg4oz

Adventurer
I forgot, that tunnel creek was a real interesting place. Wading through a dark waterway knowing there may be a croc or two in there with you.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Close call with the bike Stu. Glad to hear that you spotted the problem before it became a disaster. Having the bike fall off would definitely not have made for a happy day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles