Turtle Expedition Trans-Eurasian Odyssey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Cool.

And on the food topic, in the border area between Kazakhstan and China they do these small cold sausages of Jellied camel and horse hooves, they are really awesome. Definitely try those.

medicfernando

Adventurer
Good luck and safe journey

Hi Gary and Monika. Its Fernando Rivero from Salt Lake City Utah. I have enjoyed chatting with you the several times we have run in to each other (Moab and on the way back from Rubicon...) and have enjoyed reading about your trips for many years. I will be following the blog of this journey intently. I wish you a very safe and amazing journey and look forward running into you both again some day. I am currently overlanding in a built Range Rover Classic or my BMW GSA. All that reading of the "Turtle Expeditions" I guess has definitely influenced me. Heres a couple of pics from the last time our paths crossed. My best, Fernando
100_1306.JPG100_1308.JPG

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
The Trans-Eurasian Odyssey is go! Gary and Monika shipped the Turtle 5 to Europe in June, 2013. Read about their drive across USA to ship their vehicle to Europe here
http://turtleexpedition.com/category/adventures-travels/north-america/

Now in Portugal, Gary and Monika have visited England, France, Switzerland and Spain.
http://turtleexpedition.com/category/adventures-travels/europe/

The latest in their blog posts is found here
http://turtleexpedition.com/travel-blog/

The photos above by Fernando Rivero show how large the Turtle 5 is. Gary's clever roof design with tapered sides and front mask the true size of the vehicle. To get stand-up room in the camper without a pop-up roof, the vehicle is at least 11 feet tall (not counting the roof rack). They shipped Roll-on, Roll-off from Baltimore to Belgium. I didn't see any mention of problems with vertical clearance while driving in Europe.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I've been reading about your journeys since I was a teen in the early 80's. I even bought the back issues of Off Road magazine which included your expeditions in Turtle I. Back then it was more difficult to find off road articles on "overlanding" style travel. It's great to see that you are still out there on the road living the lives of your choice. Thanks and good luck on the voyage!

David

Fhunter1

Adventurer
I spotted Turtle III on Friday in a hotel parking lot in El Paso Texas at I 10 and Airway. I was running to catch a plane so I didn't get a chance to check it out but it was fun to even catch a glimpse of it

The Yak

Observer
Thank you for your interesting articles.

However, there is something I must say. With privilege and position in the public spotlight comes responsibility.

(Moderators..... if you consider a new thread would be better, please move this post accordingly. The details below are true to the best of my knowledge and belief with records in public view and copies available. I have tried to make my point of view as a newbie as well as I can but I understand that intercontinental opinions , understandings and sensibilities may vary, so if you deem necessary or appropriate please give me a good slapping with a wet Haddock (!) and do what you feel you need to do with this post. Thank you).

Firstly, I will explain the background, then the facts of what has given me cause for concern. I will then elaborate and give my personal concerns regarding the potential consequences for other overlanders.

Background... Gary Wescott is a member of the Silk Route Motorcaravan Network (SRMN). This is a small club. Last year it nearly folded but is building up again with currently approx thirty members. The ethos is that members contribute skills and experience into the pool to help each other. Under the same SRMN name is a public forum of over two hundred people which includes members and non members internationally. Rather like a tiny Expedition Portal! Take a look and join up!

On 3rd March 2015 at 10:58 GMT a member of the forum who I shall call Mr A was enquiring about joining SRMN as a newbie. All he wanted was a couple of questions answering and a bit of encouragement and reassurance. Nothing more. Other potential newbie members (including me!) were also writing and making their interest known but with similar questions. On 8th March at 19:26 GMT Gary Wescott posted on this public forum and was immediately rude and hostile to Mr A. There was no reason. The term 'rude and hostile' was used by another poster describing Gary's outburst and it fits my thoughts exactly so I will use it. Two well known names of the overlanding world posted up and agreed with Mr A, but Gary simply ignored them. Why this attitude to fellow overlanders, especially newbies?

The result of this attack was that Mr A has been lost to the SRMN. A newbie with a lot to give the SRMN, so Gary's fellow members have lost out, and possibly other potential members have been lost.

The administrator of the forum is the well known and respected Stephen Stewart who also thought (independently) that Gary Wescott's post was rude and hostile, deleted his post and put Gary Wescott on moderation. Yes, this is the Gary Wescott of Turtle Expedition who is high profile ambassador for the rest of us!

In reply to a post of mine in relation to this matter I received sarcasm from Gary. This suggests that Gary was not just having a bad day on 8th March.

Monika Wescott posted publicly saying, "Welcome newbies.... we all started somewhere," etc.. It had the distinct feel of a damage limitation exercise. Monika even appeared to be trying to take ownership of Gary's post of the 8th March. (Did I detect a tinge of embarrassment?). But no apology to Mr A or the members of SRMN.

I wrote to Gary and said that perhaps he should do the decent gentlemanly thing and apologise to Mr A and pointed out that he was bringing disrepute on the SRMN (and all other overlanders). Gary replied that he would not apologise because Mr A was, quote "whining" unquote. It should be remembered that half the posters on Expedition Portal, The Hubb, etc., are newbies asking newbie questions and seeking guidance and reassurance (me included!) but that is seen as whining by Gary Wescott. Why this attitude to newbies?

After some abuse I receive another message giving the usual stuff, quote "full of ****" unquote, quote "sit on it" unquote, quote "shut up" unquote etc.. The only useful (!) comment was, quote "The only one who cares what you think is you" unquote. This shows beyond all reasonable doubt (?) a consistent attitude against newbies. The whole scenario suggests to me a feeling of entitlement to be rude and hostile to newbies?

So, if Gary does not want to come to the party, and I am not entitled to an opinion , I shall open up to you for your opinions of the following points...

Gary aka Turtle Expedition is a world known highly sponsored high profile overlander. With that privilege and position comes responsibility. Whether it is wanted or not. We are all judged on what Gary aka Turtle Expedition does and says. He is a high profile ambassador for overlanders. We do not want hassle at border crossings because we are following another overlander who was rude and hostile. If we stop at a wayside settlement we do not want to be stoned because a preceding overlander was rude and hostile.

You may think this a bit over the top but think of this, if Gary Wescott is happy to be rude and hostile to fellow overlanders.....

What also concerns me is not just the rudeness and hostility regardless of the consequences and fallout, but the attitude of entitlement to do so! Of the real been-there-done-that overlanders I know they have learnt politeness and humility from their contacts with peoples from other countries. So why the repeated and consistent attitude to newbies?

Most overlanders do not have the opportunity to travel until after a life of hard work, saving hard to buy their own vehicle. So when they finally get there as a newbie do they deserve to be met with rudeness and hostility from their peers, the vey people who are their representatives, their ambassador?

What do you think?

Regards.

haven

Expedition Leader
"...Gary Wescott posted on this public forum and was immediately rude and hostile..."

Yes, that's Gary. He's a character who, at times, can be aggressively sarcastic and hurtful. And on other occasions can be charming, warm and supportive. Like the rest of us, Gary's a human being, with strengths and weaknesses.

My advice would be to give him a stern admonition about the tone of his posts. If he can't control his impulse to be critical and sarcastic, then ban him from participating.

762X39

Explorer
What do you think?

Regards.
I think it doesn't matter what I think. I conversed with Gary when I first purchased my Unimog.He is an opinionated character and I am ok with it. You have been butt hurt by him and his response. The world will continue to revolve and all will unfold as it always does. Gary isn't the only world explorer and if you don't like him, move on and talk to someone you do like. Gary and Monica are not Ambassadors of anything, Just saying...:coffee:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Gary and Monica are not Ambassadors of anything, Just saying...:coffee:
I don't think I agree, my friend. The Wescotts are not just world explorers; they are writers extensively published in popular magazines with large readerships. The US four wheel magazines they write for have a circulation many times greater than the entire membership of ExPo. And they have sought to be popular, well-known, and inspirational, perhaps because that's their nature, but also because it is important to their livelihood. I see their status as roughly equivalent to that of Tom Sheppard, Scott Brady, Lois Pryce and so on . . . not just world explorers, but world explorers who serve as role models for thousands of others.

So we're pretty much at the same argument that comes up with exceptional athletes . . . if you are admired by many for your accomplishments, do you have an obligation to be, well, admirable? I'm not sure I know, but I think we can all agree that it's best for the "sport"--be it football or world exploration--if they are. All in all, I'm not so willing as you to give them a pass. (But, then again, I'm still down on Jamis Winston for the purloined crab legs.)

762X39

Explorer
I may have been a bit harsh... I know many (and have known many) outstanding people in my field that are opinionated and intolerant but absolute geniuses whom I happen to agree with so I am more willing to give them a pass. My nearsightedness I suspect.:coffee:

toddz69

Explorer
I don't think I agree, my friend. The Wescotts are not just world explorers; they are writers extensively published in popular magazines with large readerships. The US four wheel magazines they write for have a circulation many times greater than the entire membership of ExPo.

With the exception of a few articles in OJ since its inception, I've seen very few, if any articles, in the US 4WD magazines by Gary and Monika in the past 15-20? years.

Todd Z.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
With the exception of a few articles in OJ since its inception, I've seen very few, if any articles, in the US 4WD magazines by Gary and Monika in the past 15-20? years. .
You are correct, sir, in that they certainly do not write as much for Four-Wheeler as they used to. No doubt it would have been better, and more germane, to focus on the fact that they've written for this forum as recently as September 21 of last year, and this forum contains a lot of people who would prefer to continue to hold them in high regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94