Java's Trailer build

java

Expedition Leader
So ive been looking for a good toyota bed to build myself a trailer from, well i finally gave up and a datsun followed me home.....

plans for right now get it cleaned up and fully funtional, eventually ill swap axles, build a rack for my RTT and add a fuel tank.

here is what i started with. 200 with a title from CL. a bit beat, very rusty but a good starting point i think.

after a few mins with a grinder and sawzall the wood bits were removed.

was wondering why one wheel well was bigger than the other. a compartment for the old charcoal canister!

too the sawzall to all the bed bolts. impact wouldnt take them off, too rusty. problem is they put a rubber piece between the bed and frame. now i smell like ive been burning out in my garage!
but now the bed is liberated from the frame!

probably gonna be a bit slow now, funding is limited.

java

Expedition Leader
Great project and looks good. POR15 cures all. Well maybe not on your face.

Thanks! Its my first time with por15, I think I like it! Got most of it off my face too.

Anyone know datsuns? Serene the shackle isn't removeable from the frame or the spring. Its welded on one side. I was wanting to pull the springs.

java

Expedition Leader
So a question for people who have used por 15. Do you think I should top coat it even though the frame should be mostly out of the sunlight?

jkce72

Observer
Thanks! Its my first time with por15, I think I like it! Got most of it off my face too.

Anyone know datsuns? Serene the shackle isn't removeable from the frame or the spring. Its welded on one side. I was wanting to pull the springs.

Everything is removable with a Sawzall.

java

Expedition Leader
got the reciever tube put on the tongue, tongue jack also. weled up all the holes in the bed and cut and patched the rusted sections. what a PITA! forgot how fun it is to weld rusty sheet metal with a flux core welder!!!!

Everything is removable with a Sawzall.

yeah now that i looked at it today it makes sense. you have to undo both the lower and upper shackle bolts and slide them out sideways.

java

Expedition Leader
Thanks!

Got the bottom of the bed, springs, shackles por15'ed. Bondo on the bed. And angle welded across the front and down the bed rails. Prob won't get much done till next week.

Got to order bed liner tonight. The whole thing will be done in dark grey bed liner :)

java

Expedition Leader
Picked up a full size truck box for the tongue today. Almost wrecked the truck on a back country road in the snow.

java

Expedition Leader
Glad you didn't wreck the trucky . Are you puting a drop in liner in the tub or using a paint?

Yeah me too. Back end stepped out in a corner. Was fine till the tire dropped off the edge of the road and flipped us back around.

Spray on bed liner. Gonna do the outside too just with hardly any texture. Gonna do dark grey to match the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior