Help me decide whether to trade or not to trade...

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Seems to be a theme developing here, and I support it! $4k into your existing rig will go a VERY long way. In my experience, and I have quite a bit, newer does not always equal better. Keep it simple, upgrade what you got!

MingsRevenge

I agree with the masses here. I am currently upgrading a 2003. It's in the shop right now. Full rebuild on existing 5.3, all new internals, exhaust, manifolds, tune, etc. You don't want costs like these. Your dollars will go much farther on the older one. I still need to map out new axles and gears, or just gears for now...ugh. Keep the old one, do lots of research, question those who have gone before you, choose your parts wisely, shop frugally, and assemble what you can yourself.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
$4k to trade up to the new one? That new one my need $6k to repair. $10k is a full mod-restore of your existing 'burban with nearly all the usual upgrades. Don't forget to factor all the things that are about to blow up on the new truck.

It's way cheaper rebuilding your older truck. And owning a classic is priceless.

I just got my 08 F250 back. After I replaced the blown engine: I replaced the windshield washer pump, tow light bulbs in the 3rd brake light assembly, and wipers today.

I have front rotors, front pads, speed bleeders, caliper pins, brake fluid to replace next Saturday. $400 of Napa Ultra Premium parts. (even with my nice discount there)

Next week it's gear oil in the axles and diff cover gaskets, transmission ATV and filter, transfer case fluid, and power steering fluid.

Week after that: Carpet and seat covers.

Apparently Ford also stands for "J.ust E.mpty E.very P.ocket". Or maybe that's any truck being prepped for confidence and reliabilty needed off road.

kd0ezq

I can see both points, and to be honest, I love my old Burb, That is mostly why I went with this truck when I bought it, it was cheap ($800) and I can work on it. I got to try that out quickly after I bought it since the water pump took a dump, then the fuel pump locked up which in turn smoked some wiring, Since that nicely happened at my house away from my garage, the transmission got smoked pulling it to the shop since the old automatic hubs never unlocked and kept the input of the tranny turning even though the transfer case and transmission were both in neutral.

I spent $800 on the fuel pump, since there was a half a day of rewiring involved at a repair shop since I could not figure out what went wrong. Then another $800 on the rebuilt 700R4 that I put in myself. I also threw away the auto hubs, and put a set of Milemarker lockouts on it.

I have other gremlins that need addressed, As was mentioned earlier, the 350 tbi is getting pretty weak and puffs out a nice cloud of smoke when you start it. I put in about a quart of oil per week. There is also a antifreeze leak someplace I cant find, as I get to fill the resevoir about once a month. There is something keeping the motor from idling correctly, I have replaced the IAC, and done the seafoam trick with no improvements. I have tried to pull the codes, but something is amiss there too, as it wont read out any codes.

I know that the styling is awesome on the old ones, and this is the third one I have owned. But I like the styling of the newer ones too. Granted the old one is easier to lift, but I dont care to go over 285's anyway, and that is somewhat easily done on the newer ones. I am looking at replacing a motor either way, so why not just replace the motor in the newer one. We can beat this horse to death.

It is going to come down to the fact that I can either sink alot of money in the one I have and still have a 22 year old vehicle or I can go up 11 years and sink alot of money in that, either way, I cant go buy a new one, so Im stuck spending money..

Thanks for all your input, and Ill keep checking in, You guys will know what I decided, as soon as I decide..

Tim B.
Victoria, Kansas

BurbanAZ

Explorer
id say the old one, for a bunch of reasons. Id rather have the solid axle from the 90 than the ifs from the 01, working on the 90 will be cheaper for parts and easier to find usually. Plus with 4000 you could get that 90 looking awesome especially if you know someone that can paint, etc.. Also i think the 90 has the TBI and the 01 probably has the vortec id choose TBI any day. Id say keep your current one and put that 4k into it and make it an awesome vehicle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior