Help me decide whether to trade or not to trade...

kd0ezq

I have a 1990 1/2 ton 4x4 Suburban, Pretty nice, paid $800 for it, and so far have put in a new fuel pump and a new 700R4, along with a tune up and a new water pump. It has 230k on the odometer. The paint is shot, but the body is solid, the motor runs good, but the valve seals are leaking and it has a small antifreeze leak on the intake. It is the 350 tbi. It has 3.73 with limited slip in the rear, the interior is in good condition, power windows, locks, has rear air, but the AC wasnt working when I bought it, and I havent tackled that project yet.

I have a buddy who can paint it, and materials would run me about $650. It needs tie rod ends, and a windshield, but other than that it is in good condition. It is dependable and runs good.

Here it is in all it's glory...

IMG_20120111_174241 (Modified).jpg2001 sub.jpg

The second one is a 2001 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 I found a a dealer buddy of mine. It runs good, and I cant find any problems with it. It has a slight pull to the left at 75mph, but nothing too bad. The exterior is in good shape and the interior is really clean and nice.

It has the front bench, not buckets. Has front and rear AC and autotrac. It has 270k. It has the 5.3 in it.

I can trade for 4k difference.

Im wanting input on your guy's ideas. Im really torn here, I like my old beast, but Im a big fan of the body style of the new one. It is my daily driver, and I dont do much off roading with it at all. Just some storm spotting in the summer time.

Looking forward to your input!

Thanks

Tim

goin camping

Explorer
I'm thinking that with 270K on the 01 you are not that far away from some pretty major systems wearing out and needing replacement or rebuilding.

That 4K you'd have to pay towards the newer one would go a very long way in turning your current one into a very dependable off roader that looked good too. IMHO your current one is much cheaper partswise than the newer one.

YMMV etc.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'd be jealous of the restored version of the 'burban you allready have.

I think that's the best truck GM ever made. Just the right size, shape, and look. I vote to restore the old truck. They look mean in white.

kd0ezq

I like the one I have also. It sure doesnt owe me anything... I was planning on going dark blue and white two toned. I had plans for a 2" lift with new springs all around, and 33x12.50s.

I know im looking at a new motor sometime in the future, and plan on about $1k for the air conditioning cause I cant do that myself.

My personal thought is that the newer version is just nicer all the way around, but my current is more stout and more go anywhere..

Keep the thoughts coming.

Thanks for the input.

Tim B.

Japes

Displaced Texan
I vote keep the old one, 270k is a lotta miles on a newer vehicle and like previous posters said, your going to start running into maintenance. Rework the 350 or spend the money on a modern LS swap, Paint it, AC it, wheels, tires, lift, do preventative maintenance, and you will have an amazing DD and off road beast.

colodak

Adventurer
I would also vote for the older one, for $4k you could almost completely restore is and have a vehicle that will last a long time. I have a buddy with a newer one, his rear A/C failed and it was $1,500 to repair/replace the components and almost a week of down time because they had to remove 1/4 the interior to do the work.

78Bronco

Explorer
If the newer one had lower mileage I would bite but I think you would be happier sinking $4k in upgrades to your current platform.

Revco

Adventurer
That '01 would cost $4k around here just because of the high miles. You can put that $4k into your '90 and have a truck that will last a long time, and will certainly outlast that '01. I doubt the '01 will see 300k before ending up in a junkyard. Sad to say, because it looks really nice.

If I had your '90 and $4k to spend on it, I'd swap a stock 5.3 or 6.0 LS engine mated to the stock 700R4. Repaint, lift, new wheels, new tires, custom bumpers, and fix any little chassis/suspension issues that need attention. If you could do most if not all of the work yourself, you'd be under the $4k budget easily.

Definitly keep the old one less miles and less money to fix what needs fixing. Also less registration fee$ easier inspections and just plan cooler.

Baracda

I would think that the safety innovations alone as well as the updated braking, new sheetmetal etc would be worth the $4000. For me, the newer engineering alone would be worth it.

clandr1

Adventurer
Keep your old one. It has a soul and character, and is much easier to work on than the '01 (which, as has been mentioned, will likely have thousands in repairs coming soon).

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Keep the old burb, easier to lift and work on.
put some time and a little money in it and run the wheels off!

BCHauler

Adventurer
If you go with the new one, you'll forever miss your old one. The newer trucks lack the personality and soul of older trucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior