From Russia with love...

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Lately there seems to be a proliferation of insane 4x4 videos from Siberia and other corners of Russia.

this one is pretty disturbing, I am not sure if I am happy for the truck/driver or sad for the river bed...

Post yours!

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Actually any diesel engine will do that whether it is running ULSD fuel or not. You would need to either get more air in the cylinders to complete the combustion process or put less diesel in to control smoke. The first video showed a pretty skilled operator behind the controls in getting that thing out. Next to Chernobyl that riverbed is nothing.:)

grimbo

Explorer
The music certainly helps. Love the last wheels in the air action, yep a single person will counter balance 20 30 foot logs :D

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
Lately there seems to be a proliferation of insane 4x4 videos from Siberia and other corners of Russia.

this one is pretty disturbing, I am not sure if I am happy for the truck/driver or sad for the river bed...

!

Looks like normal extracting of raw materials and road building in a wilderness area, what's so "insane and disturbing" about it?

bob91yj

Resident **************
I'm not sure that I see the difference in what that truck in the first video is doing vs one of us fording a creek/stream in our vehicles, only on a grander scale. The Sierra Club would have you believe that we do just as much damage.

I have been in a situation where a group of us hit a soupy/sandy wash. It was a marked road, had not been used in a while (or at least since the last storm). There were 8-10 vehicles in our group, approx 1/2 got stuck. We made a mess of the crossing that we got stuck in, but we didn't have many options considering the circumstances. Camel Trophy addicts would have been proud of how we recovered our stuck vehicles with no damage, environmentalists would have had a coniption fit about the tire ruts we left. Video of the event would have been disturbing to some. We were laughing and joking as we waded through thigh deep silty/peanut butter mud to hook up recovery gear and extract vehicles. You had to be there to understand the humor of our predicament. No one in the group was proud of the mess that we made, but knew we did what we had to do, hoped that another storm would come through soon to wipe it clean again.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
You guys need to watch this:

Russian spiderman - Sergey Devliashov

[video=vimeo;30551799]http://vimeo.com/30551799[/video]

Last edited:

crusader

Adventurer
I'm not sure that I see the difference in what that truck in the first video is doing vs one of us fording a creek/stream in our vehicles, only on a grander scale.

Sure there is a difference. A big difference. None of the vehicles shown in any of these Eastern Russia videos are on optional, recreational adventure trips/holidays. They are all working vehicles with a puropse, doing what they have to do to to sustain human life in a very remote, inhospitable environment where there is no infrastructure.

I'm sure that the driver in the first video wouldn't be up to the doortops in river water if there was a highway and a bridge anywhere nearby. It's a way of life to which most of us are thankfully unaccustomed, as evidenced by the "disturbing","insane" and "sad" descriptors, whereas it's just another day at the office for the drivers that keep the remote settlements alive.

Last edited:

Russian

After a month I fly to Sakhalin =)
This is a magical place. I'll try to make a detailed description of the trip. =)

48ced4ab9956fad0-large.jpg

PS In the video, I personally have one of these machines =)
PSS Russia - Asia =) DeepAsia :)

Vodka, bears, Cossack:ylsmoke:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles