Trailer Lug Bolt patterns

ktc

Can some one educate me on lug bolt patterns. I have a camping trailer with 12" wheels and a 5bolt lug pattern. I want to change to a taller wheel and tire but would rather not have to change axle. I'm running very light weight. I understand all the issues about wheel and fender clearance but what does 5 on 5.5 mean?
I assume 5 lugs on 5.5 inches but 5.5 inches from where to where?
How do I measure to see what I have?
How many different patterns are there?
What's the most common?

microcampers

MicroCampers
You have a 5 hole 4.5" bolt pattern which is standard on most trailers until it goes to a 6 hole pattern. You measure from center of a lug to the next alternating lug distance. So skip a lug and measure between the centers of the 2 lugs. www.southwestwheel.com go to their trailer site and look at the wheel options and this site is usually the most reasonably priced out there.

wyojoe

Adventurer
5 on 5.5 means five lugs on a 5.5" diameter pattern. This pattern is common to Early Jeeps (prior to the Wrangler), Broncos and 1/2 ton Fords, Scouts, and Samurais, among others. It is not common on trailers, but is used sometimes to match the pattern of the tow vehicle, in order to reduce the number of spares required, or to make better use of the spares being carried.

5 on 4.5 is a common pattern on trailers, and it is used on some vehicles, though I'm not sure exactly which ones. I think this is the pattern used on the Wrangler, but I'm not sure.

There are also some 4 lug trailer hubs, primarily found on lightweight "kit" trailers such as those found at Harbor Freight. I'm not sure what the lug diameter of this pattern is, though I think it's 4". I would expect this pattern to be shared only with some compact cars, though I have never checked into this.

Another pattern sometimes seen is the 6 on 5.5", which is common to 1/2 ton Chevy 4x4 vehicles and some Import trucks (Toyota, Nissan, and Isuzu, I believe).

Beyond that, there are some 8 lug patterns as well, but they are primarily for heavy duty applications.

As you can see, there are several hub patterns available for trailers, but unless you're trying to match the pattern of the tow vehicle, it's probably best to stick with the 5 on 4.5" because of its frequent use. Spares for tires/wheels and hubs can be found in many places, where the spares for the other patterns may not be found easily. The only reason I can think of to change the hub pattern on a trailer would be to match the tow vehicle, and then only for a couple of reasons. One reason would be that you could match the wheels of the trailer to the tow vehicle for a custom look. The other reason would be because the spare tire(s) could fit either the tow vehicle or the trailer, which could be desirable when travelling in the back country.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
5 on 4.5 was used on early Jeeps (YJ/TJ/XJ/ZJ/WJ) etc, and is also a common trailer lug pattern. If you are going to a larger wheel and tire combo, I would consider an axle swap as well. The reason, the smaller axle was likely designed to support the smaller wheels, and the weight and leverage of the larger wheels/tires might be hard on the smaller bearings?

I have seen a few pics recently of trailers with failed bearings at the side of the trail/road. Not pretty if you snap an axle/stub on the trail. What sized tires and what wheels are you looking at putting on your rig?

ktc

5 on 4.5 was used on early Jeeps (YJ/TJ/XJ/ZJ/WJ) etc, and is also a common trailer lug pattern. If you are going to a larger wheel and tire combo, I would consider an axle swap as well. The reason, the smaller axle was likely designed to support the smaller wheels, and the weight and leverage of the larger wheels/tires might be hard on the smaller bearings?

I have seen a few pics recently of trailers with failed bearings at the side of the trail/road. Not pretty if you snap an axle/stub on the trail. What sized tires and what wheels are you looking at putting on your rig?

I know that I cannot match my truck without changing the axle(fullsize chevy) I just really hate the looks of those dainty little 12" twheels even though I'm very light. That may not be a good enough reason but I wasthinking about a 15" wheel.

zidaro

Explorer
Depending on the specs of your axle, there are common trailer axle spindle diameters/specs and you can easily remove your hubs and replace with hubs that have the bolt pattern you desire. dexter axle has a very complete catalog online if you know what you have.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
DSCN4372.JPG

Actually, most factory 5 lug trailer axles have a 3500lb rating or higher. The 2k lb axles typically were 4 lug.

I know that I cannot match my truck without changing the axle(fullsize chevy) I just really hate the looks of those dainty little 12" twheels even though I'm very light. That may not be a good enough reason but I wasthinking about a 15" wheel.

All 90's 4wd Ranger/Explorer vehicles with solid rear axle came with 5x4.5 wheels with a hub center that will clear the hubs on the trailer, they are cheap and plentiful. I run the wheels off a 94 Ranger on my trailer with 31x10.50 tires and it works well. See attached picture where I painted them with bbq grill paint.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Also, just in case someone is doing the measurements and confused like I was at one point, the 5.5" and 4.5" measurements are not bolt center measurements. It's actually the center of one bolt to the outside of the the second bolt away from it. Kind of weird that they chose it that way, but see the pic:

5-lug.jpg

SeeJ

assorted trailer questions

Thanks for contributing to this thread. I've been trying to figure out if I can match the wheels on a trailer to the ones on my 2010 F-150 4x4 (17 inch rims with a 6 hole pattern) for the exact same purpose as the thread originator: to allow me to carry one size spare. It will also give me some extra clearance under the axle on forest access roads. This has less to do with terrain than surprise early snowfalls making travel back to the highway dragging a trailer with 6 inches of clearance through 10 inches of snow a royal pain.

Here's what I think I learned from this discussion:
(1) I'll need a heavier axle than is found on most small trailers to withstand the additional weight of the tires and wheels (unsprung weight?), and
(2) hubs to match the bolt pattern should be available from trailer gear suppliers (suggestions?). [What about pillaging hubs from a wrecked truck at a scrapyard?]

Here's what I surmise: I'm going to have to do a welding course and build the trailer I want or find a custom builder and $$$$pend. Comments?

Has anyone had any experience with used U-Haul trailers? They seem to be well built, if a little heavy. I've been asking around the U-Haul outlets and the rental guys don't seem to know if U-Haul ever sells the trailers. I've sent a question to the U-Haul "contact us" e-mail and I'm awaiting a reply.

Last edited:

BCHauler

Adventurer
Not to derail the OP's thread, but my question is related. I have a 5x4.5 axle and picked up some explorer rims and tires for it but the axle uses bolts instead of lugs. The rims mounting flange is too deep for the bolts to reach through, and the rims have tapered seats. Can you buy tapered head bolts or is there a way to convert bolt mounts to a lug mount? Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior