Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Planning an Expedition to Oymyakon, Yakutia and the on Kamchatka Peninsula-- U900...

Default Planning an Expedition to Oymyakon, Yakutia and the on Kamchatka Peninsula-- U900...

So, I'm planning an expedition to Oymyakon Yakutia (Sakha Republic Siberia Russia) and finally on to the Kamchatka Peninsula to the city of Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky. The trips entire route from the Czech Republic to Kamchatsky is about 10,000 miles maybe 11,000miles. It isn't clear exactly how far Oymyakon to Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky because well no roads exist between the location. My preferred vehicle is a 406 series Unimog. I plan fitting it with 200-225 gallons worth of diesel fuel in the bed. That should give me a range of about 2000 miles on roads. I'm not sure what terrain is like completely between Magadan Russia the last place in Siberia where roads connects and Petropavlosk-Kamchatsky is like. I'm hoping to average about 5 miles per gallon for fuel consumption. However, I also plan on carrying another 200-300 gallons of fuel in a small off-road trailer behind the truck. In addition to this fuel supply I also plan on carrying 50 gallons of fuel in Jerry cans as extreme emergency fuel. The total range I'm looking is about 3000 miles with the truck and trailer combination.

This will be my first expedition in a Unimog 900. I have limited experience with the U900 mog. However, I like the capabilities of the truck. I'm planing on purchasing a U900 series with 110hp Engine and 20speed gearbox. What sort of upgrades would you suggest that I put on the truck make it capable of driving in Siberia in -40 to -70C temperatures. Also any other equipment you can suggest I would greatly appreciate as well.

Thanks

I have a little problem: I love the classic looks of the U-900 series mog. It just looks right to me. However, given that I plan on driving it for 11,000 miles or more I might want to upgrade to the larger U1400 series for this trek. What would be the best truck for this sort of trek into -55C degree weather in Oymyakon, Siberia?

Has anyone ever Stuck cab heater like this into a U1400 or U900 series Mog before?
    http://cabheat.com/dieseltrucks.html
    I'm thinking given the temperatures of Siberia being negative -55C I will go with the Air Top 3500 heater in whatever model Mog I purchase for this trek. Any suggestions on this type of heating system in extreme arctic conditions?

I'm thinking the solution is the Tatra T-813 Kolos and Unimog U900... Two trucks, 11,000 miles or so in Siberia.... This could be the ticket.

you are either a troll or insane.
    Where would you sleep at these temps.
    The modifications needed are too long to list.
    The consequences of a simple breakdown will quickly kill you.

Charlie
    Unimog U500 with Unicat camper; diesel BMW X5 35d, diesel BJ40 Landcruiser and diesel M37

Quote Originally Posted by charlieaarons View Post
    you are either a troll or insane.
    Where would you sleep at these temps.
    The modifications needed are too long to list.
    The consequences of a simple breakdown will quickly kill you.

Charlie
    Charlie:

Why don't you put a list of things you think the trucks would need? I'm always interested in getting new information on the top-- hence the reason I joined this site.

I would be cautious about using diesel at all at -55c. Even with additives you will need to permanently heat the tank and lines to prevent freezing. If the return is throwing enough fuel back into the tank you may be able to keep the fuel in the tank from gelling by leaving the engine idling, but knowing that will be dead in short order if you can't get the truck running, it would be wiser to have more a more robust system.

If the truck stopped running, it would be too cold to restart within minutes and you would have to start fires under the engine, fuel tanks and fuel lines to have a hope of restarting.

Using a petrol truck would be better.

Unimogs are not common in the part of the world you are going to and so if you want any chance of repairing the vehicle if something fails you should use something like a gaz 66 or ural 375.

Going to areas like this in winter is no small feat, it will be very easy to loose your life and so you would do well to engage the knowledge of someone experienced.

Is this for a research/exploration trip or just an extreme vacation?
    http://jimthetruck.blogspot.co.uk/
    Mercedes 1823 4x2
    ex brinks cash-in-transit truck

How big is your wallet? Are you from Manhattan or what?

Jeezus.

Quote Originally Posted by nick disjunkt View Post
    I would be cautious about using diesel at all at -55c. Even with additives you will need to permanently heat the tank and lines to prevent freezing. If the return is throwing enough fuel back into the tank you may be able to keep the fuel in the tank from gelling by leaving the engine idling, but knowing that will be dead in short order if you can't get the truck running, it would be wiser to have more a more robust system.

If the truck stopped running, it would be too cold to restart within minutes and you would have to start fires under the engine, fuel tanks and fuel lines to have a hope of restarting.

Using a petrol truck would be better.

Unimogs are not common in the part of the world you are going to and so if you want any chance of repairing the vehicle if something fails you should use something like a gaz 66 or ural 375.

Going to areas like this in winter is no small feat, it will be very easy to loose your life and so you would do well to engage the knowledge of someone experienced.

Is this for a research/exploration trip or just an extreme vacation?
    This is for a documentary: on the effects of modern technology on the cultural of Yakutia.

I wouldn't go with petrol personally... Most of the truckers in Siberia use the Ural 375D or 4320 model trucks both of which are diesel; the Kamaz series trucks which are all Diesel, and the Tatras are popular too. I was going to insulate and heat the fuel tanks actually. Also one doesn't turn off the truck too much. I would also bring an external source of heat to warm the engine in an emergency.
    Last edited by OttoVonMog; 01-20-2012 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
    How big is your wallet? Are you from Manhattan or what?

Jeezus.
    The wallet is big ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast