Planning an Expedition to Oymyakon, Yakutia and the on Kamchatka Peninsula-- U900...

OttoVonMog

So, I'm planning an expedition to Oymyakon Yakutia (Sakha Republic Siberia Russia) and finally on to the Kamchatka Peninsula to the city of Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky. The trips entire route from the Czech Republic to Kamchatsky is about 10,000 miles maybe 11,000miles. It isn't clear exactly how far Oymyakon to Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky because well no roads exist between the location. My preferred vehicle is a 406 series Unimog. I plan fitting it with 200-225 gallons worth of diesel fuel in the bed. That should give me a range of about 2000 miles on roads. I'm not sure what terrain is like completely between Magadan Russia the last place in Siberia where roads connects and Petropavlosk-Kamchatsky is like. I'm hoping to average about 5 miles per gallon for fuel consumption. However, I also plan on carrying another 200-300 gallons of fuel in a small off-road trailer behind the truck. In addition to this fuel supply I also plan on carrying 50 gallons of fuel in Jerry cans as extreme emergency fuel. The total range I'm looking is about 3000 miles with the truck and trailer combination.

This will be my first expedition in a Unimog 900. I have limited experience with the U900 mog. However, I like the capabilities of the truck. I'm planing on purchasing a U900 series with 110hp Engine and 20speed gearbox. What sort of upgrades would you suggest that I put on the truck make it capable of driving in Siberia in -40 to -70C temperatures. Also any other equipment you can suggest I would greatly appreciate as well.

Thanks

OttoVonMog

I have a little problem: I love the classic looks of the U-900 series mog. It just looks right to me. However, given that I plan on driving it for 11,000 miles or more I might want to upgrade to the larger U1400 series for this trek. What would be the best truck for this sort of trek into -55C degree weather in Oymyakon, Siberia?

OttoVonMog

Has anyone ever Stuck cab heater like this into a U1400 or U900 series Mog before?
http://cabheat.com/dieseltrucks.html
I'm thinking given the temperatures of Siberia being negative -55C I will go with the Air Top 3500 heater in whatever model Mog I purchase for this trek. Any suggestions on this type of heating system in extreme arctic conditions?

OttoVonMog

I'm thinking the solution is the Tatra T-813 Kolos and Unimog U900... Two trucks, 11,000 miles or so in Siberia.... This could be the ticket.

you are either a troll or insane.
Where would you sleep at these temps.
The modifications needed are too long to list.
The consequences of a simple breakdown will quickly kill you.

Charlie

OttoVonMog

you are either a troll or insane.
Where would you sleep at these temps.
The modifications needed are too long to list.
The consequences of a simple breakdown will quickly kill you.

Charlie

Charlie:

Why don't you put a list of things you think the trucks would need? I'm always interested in getting new information on the top-- hence the reason I joined this site.

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
I would be cautious about using diesel at all at -55c. Even with additives you will need to permanently heat the tank and lines to prevent freezing. If the return is throwing enough fuel back into the tank you may be able to keep the fuel in the tank from gelling by leaving the engine idling, but knowing that will be dead in short order if you can't get the truck running, it would be wiser to have more a more robust system.

If the truck stopped running, it would be too cold to restart within minutes and you would have to start fires under the engine, fuel tanks and fuel lines to have a hope of restarting.

Using a petrol truck would be better.

Unimogs are not common in the part of the world you are going to and so if you want any chance of repairing the vehicle if something fails you should use something like a gaz 66 or ural 375.

Going to areas like this in winter is no small feat, it will be very easy to loose your life and so you would do well to engage the knowledge of someone experienced.

Is this for a research/exploration trip or just an extreme vacation?

OttoVonMog

I would be cautious about using diesel at all at -55c. Even with additives you will need to permanently heat the tank and lines to prevent freezing. If the return is throwing enough fuel back into the tank you may be able to keep the fuel in the tank from gelling by leaving the engine idling, but knowing that will be dead in short order if you can't get the truck running, it would be wiser to have more a more robust system.

If the truck stopped running, it would be too cold to restart within minutes and you would have to start fires under the engine, fuel tanks and fuel lines to have a hope of restarting.

Using a petrol truck would be better.

Unimogs are not common in the part of the world you are going to and so if you want any chance of repairing the vehicle if something fails you should use something like a gaz 66 or ural 375.

Going to areas like this in winter is no small feat, it will be very easy to loose your life and so you would do well to engage the knowledge of someone experienced.

Is this for a research/exploration trip or just an extreme vacation?

This is for a documentary: on the effects of modern technology on the cultural of Yakutia.

I wouldn't go with petrol personally... Most of the truckers in Siberia use the Ural 375D or 4320 model trucks both of which are diesel; the Kamaz series trucks which are all Diesel, and the Tatras are popular too. I was going to insulate and heat the fuel tanks actually. Also one doesn't turn off the truck too much. I would also bring an external source of heat to warm the engine in an emergency.

Last edited:

OttoVonMog

In regards to Charlie's post: Funny thing is that people in Siberia do this sort of trek every day! If they can do it-- so can I.

Last edited:

OttoVonMog

I've come to a decision: one Tatra T-813 Kolos 8x8 and one Unimog U-1400 vehicle for this operation. This will be more than enough to take all of film equipment and gear in the heart of Siberia.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBUQTFFrq18&feature=related
V-12 Air Cooled Diesel Power! It is a beautiful thing.

I wonder if should build a shelter on the back of the Tatra or leave it for cargo? I can pull a 20tonne trailer off road with the truck? Perhaps, I'll put a shelter on the back of the Tatra and live out of that.

OttoVonMog

Fuel tank insulation and heating is going to be paramount for both trucks on this expedition. I could also put on some insulated fuel lines that will help to keep the fuel from gelling. I'm thinking that adding Kerosene, anti-gelling fuel additives, and cetane boost to the mix should keep the fuel in good working order for the trip-- especially if the fuel tanks are heated to about 10 degrees Celsius.

4x4 explorer

Observer
Having been in Antarctica, the majority of diesel vehicles there utilize jet fuel to beat the temperature issue. Heaters for the engine, transmission and battery assist cold starting. Even the generator sets run on the same fuel, so carrying an APU to keep things warm would help. You may want to practice some cold weather survival techniques, as Charlie is right, those kind of temperatures are very unforgiving. If there is snow pack the warmest place is inside a man made snow cave created from using a snow saw to get below the surface and use the sawed snow blocks to cover the trench. Carry a good sleeping bag for that kind of emergency. Part of our training required us to actually do what I just described. I'm not sure what the terrain is in that part of the world, but if it is mostly snow, I would recommend a tracked vehicle over one with tires.

OttoVonMog

Having been in Antarctica, the majority of diesel vehicles there utilize jet fuel to beat the temperature issue. Heaters for the engine, transmission and battery assist cold starting. Even the generator sets run on the same fuel, so carrying an APU to keep things warm would help. You may want to practice some cold weather survival techniques, as Charlie is right, those kind of temperatures are very unforgiving. If there is snow pack the warmest place is inside a man made snow cave created from using a snow saw to get below the surface and use the sawed snow blocks to cover the trench. Carry a good sleeping bag for that kind of emergency. Part of our training required us to actually do what I just described. I'm not sure what the terrain is in that part of the world, but if it is mostly snow, I would recommend a tracked vehicle over one with tires.

This is a documentary film production... to get insurance means all of the crew have to be trained in cold weather survival techniques. So that part is non-negotiable if I want to get funding.

As for tracked v. tires-- tracks are good but since i'm starting in middle of Europe and driven from say like Prague to Siberia tracks will not be practical in the city regions. Also, wheeled vehicles are cheaper to maintain over time period I plan to be making my expedition and documentary. So what I'm looking for are vehicles like the MB Unimog and Tatra T813 series trucks. Trucks that are designed for decent on-road performance but have great off performance.

As for the cold-- the The Sakha Republic is very cold usually averaging about -40C in the winter. However, the nearly -70 was only experienced once in two small remote towns of: Oymyakon and Verkhoyansk they are about 400km apart. Oymyakon tends to have colder average temperature. I plan on visiting both on my way to the Arctic Ocean. So I will be very cold conditions but mostly in the -50 to -60 Celsius range for the most part. But I want things that can withstand -70 or lower just to be prepared.

I would love to go to Antarctica myself-- if Herzog can do it-- I can too. I would love to see what Antarctica looks like from say 70,000ft in altitude as weather balloon ascends. I think it would make a great visual image and really bring home the effects we are having on the planet.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles