Highly capable 416-based Unimog Expedition Motorhome

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Camper Mog's been sold to an exceptional new owner. Information at the bottom.

Here's an opportunity for someone looking to do anything from serious long-term vehicle-dependent expeditions to weekend camping . . .

I'm rarely using my unique expedition-quality Unimog motorhome and so would like to sell her to a knowledgeable new owner. She has a 14 foot long, insulated aluminum-skinned cabin built in 1995 that's mounted on a 1977 416 Unimog traction head. Zweiweg coach-built the amazing double cab that provides tremendous headroom and visibility, along with sliding doors that lock open while driving. She's set up now for two, but was designed to seat and sleep four (and I have the rear cab air seats to reinstall). Probably the best cab-cabin passthrough around, as you can walk throughout cab and cabin with just a drop of the head.

CamperMog007.jpg

DSCN0659.jpg

Flier3.jpg

She has about 70K miles on her, with an 8 forward/4 reverse transmission, fast axles, and an OM352 engine with usual mods. Fully self-contained with every amenity and many nice modifications. Carries 140 gallons of fuel and up to 100 gallons of fresh water. Comes complete with shop manuals, much spare gear and dozens of detailed and interesting technical drawings used for her construction.

She's a superb compact motorhome for general use--arguably as quiet, comfortable and smooth-riding as any Mog--but she's also a Sahara veteran that readily could do it again. Either way, I'm hoping for a new owner who'll make good use of her.

There will be no government hassles; she's titled, registered and plated in Oregon as a motorhome, and she can be driven home from Portland. Building her probably cost a quarter-million or so in 1977 dollars; we're asking for about $40,000 turnkey.

There is an album of seventy-some photos, along with informative captions at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mhiscox01/CamperMogAssortment.

Please give them a look and if you have any interest, let me know what questions I can answer. Thanks.

Mike Hiscox
mhiscox01@comcast.net

Last edited:

offroadchef

Adventurer
Very nice Mog...

would like to see info on your sprinter van. Look like you planned that very well out...

Markus

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Not surprisingly, trying to amortize my newer and pricier Sprinter van is a major reason that Camper Mog doesn't make it out of the barn very often any more.

Camper%20Mog%20072.JPG

Not to hijack my own thread (or shortchange Camper Mog), but I'm happy to answer questions about the Sprinter, too--it's turned out to be a surprisingly good rig--and probably should write something detailed about it in the future.

For the moment, you can see some general pictures at:

http://www.creativemobileinteriors.com/sections/portfolio/sprinter/Hiscox/HiscoxIndex.asp

Regards,

Mike Hiscox

offroadchef

Adventurer
mhiscox said:
Not surprisingly, trying to amortize my newer and pricier Sprinter van is a major reason that Camper Mog doesn't make it out of the barn very often any more.

Camper%20Mog%20072.JPG

Not to hijack my own thread (or shortchange Camper Mog), but I'm happy to answer questions about the Sprinter, too--it's turned out to be a surprisingly good rig--and probably should write something detailed about it in the future.

For the moment, you can see some general pictures at:

http://www.creativemobileinteriors.com/sections/portfolio/sprinter/Hiscox/HiscoxIndex.asp

Regards,

Mike Hiscox

thank you
Markus

MB309basket

Adventurer
Well?

mhiscox said:
Regards,

Mike Hiscox

Hi Mike,

Did you ever put together a synopsis of your build-up of Mog Jr?

I recently bought an 06 Sprinter 2500 low-roof passenger van that I need to outfit, and I am looking for inspiration. Are you willing to share what you've done, how it worked, and maybe what you wouldn't do again?

Thank you, Esmi

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
The Adam Blaster wrote: Did the 'mog camper ever sell?
Ummm, let me take a look . . .

NOPE. ;)

No shortage of lookie-loos (dozens, actually) but rather few who had clue. Lots of spatially-challenged people taking a look and going "Boy, is that big!" when the dimensions--clearly stated in any event--aren't much different than the smallest Class A or C motorhomes you can buy.

Abraham Lincoln, asked about a book or some such, said "For people who like this sort of thing, this is the sort of thing they will like." That applies to Camper Mog. She's an outstanding expedition truck. She'd be ideal for 1-4 people on an a real expedition, as a comfy-but-movable base camp on the beach or in the wilderness, or even as a motorhome for people who hate look-a-like RVs. But she's not a rock-crawling, mud-bogging, canyon-running 'Mericun-style four-wheeler, and that seems to confuse your average Portland Craigslist reader.

Anyway, apologies for the editorial--after all, this is one place with knowledgeable people--but I really have dealt with a whole lot of people who "didn't get it." I need people who want a cut-rate UNICAT and I'm getting people who want an H1 with a bathroom. :)

Mike Hiscox
'77/'95 UNIMOG 416 DoKa Expedition Camper (for sale)
2005 mid/tall Sprinter 2500 Expedition Camper

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Hi Mike,
Did you ever put together a synopsis of your build-up of Mog Jr? I recently bought an 06 Sprinter 2500 low-roof passenger van that I need to outfit, and I am looking for inspiration. Are you willing to share what you've done, how it worked, and maybe what you wouldn't do again? Thank you, Esmi

Hi, Esmi. Congratulations on your purchase, and thanks for your interest in my Sprinter. Private message sent.

Mike Hiscox

ThomD

Explorer
Oh my. This is terribly interesting. Too bad the housing market collapsed; I could have convinced the wife to tap some mythical home equity for this.

I wonder it I can put it on my visa. :)

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
ThomD wrote:
Oh my. This is terribly interesting. Too bad the housing market collapsed; I could have convinced the wife to tap some mythical home equity for this.
And just think of the bicycles you could have carried. Could have outcarried that bicycle guy from the Rubber Tramps DVD.

View attachment 19012

Mike

ThomD

Explorer
mhiscox said:
And just think of the bicycles you could have carried. Could have outcarried that bicycle guy from the Rubber Tramps DVD.

View attachment 19012

Mike

Thanks Mike. Like I'm not tormented enough. :sombrero:

Sadly, we've gotten fiscally prudent over the last few years and now we try to pay cash for everything. I hope (for both our sakes) that you can sell the Mog before we can save enough, sometime next year.

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Very nice! Out of curiosity what is the milage like/ range. Also the AC unit you describe going into the roof hatch with the generator. Can that be used while driving. Wife wanted to know if it had AC. Now if I could just find a place to park it!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste