A few months ago, I picked up this set of 4 used oem Chevy 16x7 aluminum wheels with tires, sold the tires to break even on the wheels. I'd been looking for a set of Hummer H3 wheels but these came up and were a good deal with the tires and knew if I was patient I'd get my money out of the tires. Also, the tires were 245/75-16 so was able to test fit on the van to get an idea on fitment if I were to do something similar, maybe, possibly, perhaps...
These are the same wheels as what came on my van with the metallic silver paint and machined finish, just in hideous condition.
The wheels were pretty corroded and judging by the amount of brake dust I'm guessing never been cleaned, but they didn't have any curb rash and I wanted an extra set of wheels for my van anyway.
I was originally going to bead blast and powdercoat myself (the wheels, not me) as I have done in the past, so the corrosion and brake dust wasn't a concern. However, that option wasn't available in the time frame I wanted (using a friend's equipment) so I moved on to prepping and painting the wheels. I used Rustoleum Automotive gray primer and Rustoleum Wheel Enamel in flat black.
With the wheels being so nasty to start with and not considering myself much of a painter, I wasn't really sure what the outcome would be.
The wheels were corroded in several spots around the rim from wheel weights, on the spoke area and on the inside tire bead surface:
Inside with serious amount of brake dust coating wheels:
After a lot of prep work involving drills with wire wheels and wire cups, sanding, cleaning and more sanding, this is what the wheels looked like:
I taped the wheels, wiped them down with acetone and set up a painting station outside (my only available option) using a 4x4 with a couple of large conical spacers (borrowed from my motorcycle wheel balancing stand) to set the wheel on while painting and be able to flip over to paint both sides. Started with light coat of primer on the inside of wheels, and then a few heavier coats, flipping wheels over as necessary to prime both sides. I did a little sanding here and there as I worked out best technique while doing this over several days in varying hot and windy conditions. Same idea for spraying the flat black paint, light first coat and then heavier coats while trying to leave a nice wet look on the final coat to the outer surface of the wheels.
The wheels turned out better than I anticipated, not perfect by any means, but much better than what I started with for sure.
I may run these wheels sans center caps with black closed end wheel nuts or if I do decide to use the center caps, I'll spray those with black Plasti Dip so it's not permanent as my original wheels are still silver/machined finish.
Excited to see what these will look like on Stroverlander...