Your 2 cents please...

jrfII

Observer
Finally making some progress

I can't believe how long it has taken to make progress with this build. Here is the current update:

Tires are purchased but not installed at this time.

We removed the left side flange on the lid and tig welded a piano hinge to the lid and the box. The visible welds on the box need dressed and polished as you will see in the photos. The lid works very nicely and we will be adding gas struts to assist with the weight of the Autohome Overland RTT that will be installed.

The tongue on the trailer has been extended 10" and a small deck has been added to hold an LPG tank, battery box and jerry can.

The trailer tows great at speed as I have gone to an 8" drop hitch and there is about 60lbs in the trailer now. I had a bit of wobble at around 63 mph prior to going to the new drop. Apparently there was no weight on the hitch and with the trailer a little nose up it was getting blown around like a kite.

Next up will be getting the water tank, pump, battery and on demand heater ordered. At this point I am still waiting for the struts, fenders and roor rack that I ordered from Chris at Sierra 4X4 back in Janurary. Others have posted much about him and his work, I can only speak from my experience and I agree he has been courteous and helpful but today it is two months since I paid him over $1300 and I still do not have the merchandise. Very frustrated!

So take a look and let me know what you think.

Trailer1.jpg Trailer3.jpg

Maine07jk

Adventurer
Nice rig! I am currently working on mine and a suggestion that people made for me was to triangulate some metal pieces off the tongue to be attached under the box on the frame. People were afraid he tongue would twist off road. It is hard to see yours, but it looks like the triangular pieces on yours just go to the edge of the box. I am by no means a fabricator, but thought I would throw it out!

jrfII

Observer
Thanks...

Yes, the braces for the deck attach to the front cross bar only. They are 1.5" box steel 1/8" wall. I too am concerned about stress on the tongue off-road but the fabricator I worked with on the deck thought this would be sufficient for up to 1500 lbs. I am trying to keep the loaded weight below 1200 lbs. Thanks for the reply!

jrfII

Observer
Tongue jack...

Ok the tongue jack is installed as of today. It is a weld on pivot style and fit perfect on the extended tongue. Didn't get any pics today. I will post some as soon as I fabricate the rear stabilizers. Those will be started tomorrow morning.

The water tank, pump and water heater are ordered as of Friday. They should be here next week so I hope to have the welding work completed this weekend.

:safari-rig:

Dirtytires

Explorer
Your little trailer is coming along nice. Something to think about is the reflection
off that Diamond plate in the morning sun. Might be a traffic hazard.

jrfII

Observer
Stabilizer pocket

photo-1.jpg

Just a close up of the pocket added for the rear legs. Will be welding feet for the legs this week.

Stay tuned!

Glare from sunrise, ********! :wings:

jrfII

Observer
Stabilizer feet or pads

IMG953376.jpg

After welding the pockets on the trailer this weekend and realizing just how rusty my welding skills are I asked a friend to do the welding on the feet. Hearing the welder setup by a pro and seeing him lay down a nice bead was inspiring. These welds look professional.

IMG950675.jpg

Ok, these are ready for primer and paint. Butch offered up a red top Optima for the trailer and a piece of stainless I will use to fab an lpg tank strap.

A trifecta tonight! Score!

jrfII

Observer
Progress report

First up today was a strap for the LP tank. The front rail for the trailer was relieved to cradle the tank.

Charged the battery and secured it and the box to the tongue.

IMG950750.jpg

Next up are the struts from Sierra 4X4. They are rated at 175lbs and I am certain they will work well with the RTT.

IMG951760.jpg

The strip that holds the RVQII grille was installed. I am suprised that I haven't seen this grille on adventure trailers. We bought this one three years ago for the motorhome and love it.

IMG958041.jpg

The last thing done today was to etch prime and paint the stabilizer feet from earlier this week.

Tomorrow should be the water tank, water pump and new lid weather seal.

Shamus30

Looking good! What part of PA are you in? I grew up in Western PA in Erie your pics make me miss home. Not much green out this way.

java

Expedition Leader
Which model propane tank holder is that? Where did you find it? I've been having trouble finding something like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz