Your 2 cents please...

jrfII

Observer
We miss tent camping and have decided that we are building an adventure trailer this spring. We are reaching out to those of you with experience for suggestions and ideas to make our build simple, cost effective and fun.

The trailer is a 4'X6' Tractor Supply frame. The axle has been modified for strength and relocated below the springs. The suspension is rated at 3K lbs and is too stiff for serious off-roading. We will deal with the suspension after the first year if we enjoy the experience.

IMG951127.jpgIMG951991.jpg

The box is aluminum diamond plate and was made to fit the frame. The lid has aluminum boxed cross members for strength. The depth of the box is 24". The lid simply rests on the box flange and is secured by nylon tie down straps.

The wheels are 16" Jeep wheels modified to fit over the bearing hub. There is a matching spare. The tires are BFG 315/75R16's. They are dried out pretty well and will be replaced soon.

The weight as pictured is 580lbs, I hope to keep the completrd weight around 1200lbs.

Continued...

jrfII

Observer
Here are the immediate changes:

1. Fab hinges for the lid with latches and hydraulic assist.
Hinge will be on passenger side.
2. Fab 2" high roof rack style cross bars to mount RTT.
3. Replace dried out tires.
4. Fab fenders (35's make awesome rooster tails in the rain)

I intend to keep the same tire size for height and clearance when we do get off highway. The stiff ride will mean slow going. The lid heigth with these tires is 48" which seems ok for an RTT. Finally, the trailer sits pretty well behind our Cherokee which is the vehicle we will tow with.

IMG959960.jpg

As the trailer comes together we will add a fresh water tank, pump, propane on demand water heater, propane tank, braces for the tongue and a deck, a mount on the rear for our RVQII grille, a leveling system (advice please), battery, charger and a few lights.

Thanks for looking and please share your ideas.

jrfII

Observer
Spare change...

When we decided to do a trailer build I expected the RTT would be one of the last purchases to be made. This was simply due to cost. We were researching RTT's on the web and had planned on purchasing a new ARBIII when the time came. Since we live "Out East" I didn't expect to find anything used that we could look at prior to buying.

In December I found a deal! A fellow had an AutoHome Overland that was to be fairly new and in good condition on Ebay. He was only 2.5 hours away! The tent is almost brand new and came home strapped to the trailer.
IMG951207.jpg

He gave us his original invoice dated 6/29/11, shipped from Nevada. He and his son has used it for a trip to Colorado since they took delivery but it was only deployed 6 nights. He did point out a small opening in the netting where he woke up to a squirrel nibbling one morning. For all practical purposes this tent is new.

We saved two-thirds the cost of this tent and half what we would have spent on the ARB.

Lucky!

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Congratz on both finds and welcome aboard!

Sounds like you'll have lots of gear, which translates into a wider comfort range, but also weight.

I'd suggest going over the frame throughly, and see if you can get the original specs on the trailer....might be helpful to determining load capacity. Lots of guys have added Jeep springs to a smaller trailer, to soften the ride with much sucess.

There are rear stabilizers available thru AT, the board sponser, as well as nice homemade versions.

Good luck,

Pat

jrfII

Observer
Great...

Titanpat57,

Thanks, the specs idea was excellent and TS had the specs available. Super idea! The chassis is in good shape as I thoroughly inspected it when we got it home. One small twist that we straightened.

Can you recommend a build thread for the Jeep spring conversion?

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Box Rocket

For the time being until you address the suspension, just drop the air pressure in your tires. You'll be suprised at how well it works. I have 3500# trailer suspension on my trailer with 35's and I run the trailer at abou 10psi. The trailer is light enough that it hardly affects the sidewalls and it soaks up bumps SOOOO much better even on bumpy washboard roads. It is very manageable offroad, so much so that I have put off changing my suspension for the foreseeable future.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Any reason for hinges on passenger side. This puts you on the road side if you have to pull over and get into the trailer for something. Usually you would put the hinges on the driver side so that you are on the safe side from passing cars if you have to open.

Just my 2 cents

Looks great.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Here's a link to a board member's web site...they offer a complete axle kit..

http://www.sierra4x4trailers.com/category/products/trailer-parts/

-

Rear stabilizers form Adventure Trailers...

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/accmisc.html

-

Tons of axle swap outs here, and over on Mud ( http://forum.ih8mud.com/trailer-tech/ ) . I would consider using a brake axle, not a ton of money more, but the peace of mind is invaluable. Please don't be afraid to ask specific questions, people may respond better...there's just an absolute wealth of knowledge here on Mud....pretty much anything your thinking of doing has been done.

Best of luck, Pat

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Does your trailer suspension have shocks as well as the springs? I have a CDN M101 1/4 ton trailer with a pretty hefty leaf pack under it and shocks. The shocks that are there now are the OEM ones installed in 1992, and they are the suck as far as condition goes. Having said that, they still seem to work exceptionally well at keeping the trailer glued to the road. I run 31x10.5x15" BFG AT's at about 30 PSI and it literally stays glued to the road, even at high speed and empty. Loaded, same deal, handles like a dream.

The shocks are actually a Napa part number, and I picked up a brand new replacement set for $25 ish dollars each (still need to pop them in). I know a lot of trailers do not have shocks only springs, they make a huge difference when done properly. Let me know if you want the P/N.
Greg

jrfII

Observer
Ok, this is great....

BoxRocket
Thanks for the inflation advise. As soon as I get a chance I will adjust the pressure and give this a try!

DonBeasley
This is exactly why I posted here! I was not thinking about being along the road and wanting access the to the box. Design change! Thanks!

GregB 00XJ,
Yes, please forward the Napa number, I may not use it soon, but I will have it if I need.

Picked up a pair of Kuhmos to replace the dried rotted BFG's this weekend. About 4/32nds left. Enough for our trailer.

Awesome input, thanks to all!

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Napa Response, part number is 94038...like I said, $25 ish bucks each.

Product Description

Line code NSA
Part number 94038
Description Shock - NAPA Response - Rear
Attribute Product Features:Response shock absorbers are nitrogen gas charged and feature velocity sensitive valving and all weather fluid, which offers improved comfort at an economical price.,Upper Mount:Loop Type 5/8" x 1 5/16",Lower Mount:Loop Type 5/8" x 1 5/16",Compressed Length:11.250",Extended length:17.875",Travel Length:6.625",Dust Shield:Yes,Parts Pack(s) #:p411
Comment Details in store
Warranty 24 Months

jrfII

Observer
Update...

Greg B, thanks for the info.

Chris @ Sierra 4x4 has a good deal on fenders for our trailer and I fully expect to place an order with him this week. We also may use their rack system for mounting the RTT to the trailer as well.

I am purchasing a Hannibal Awning for the XJ from Chris as well.

Still working on the hinges for the lid of the trailer and a leveling system for camping if anyone can lend some advice.

Thanks

DonBeasley

Adventurer
As you have already found out Chris @ Sierra 4x4 is a great guy. Always ready to help even if you do not buy from him. I have his lid on my M416 and about to install the hinges and struts to make it work.

jrfII

Observer
Sierra 4X4

Don,

You are correct. I am amazed at the response from Chris. He has been amazingly helpful and I am glad to spend the hard earned dollars with people like him.

jrfII

Observer
Hinge time...

Stopped on Saturday at the truck shop and the owner ageed to hinge the lid of the trailer. He also is cutting braces to reinforce the tongue. :safari-rig:

I'll post up some pics when we get it back.

Looks like the summer is going to be spent exploring!
:tent:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94