Pan-American Highway: US to Argentina

zchan88

Observer
My partner and I are currently 7 months in on an 18 month journey to South America. We departed in June of 2011 in our modified Astro Van and have so far survived our trek across the US and the first two months in Mexico. Our goal is to be crossing into Belize in February and into South America by the end of April. So far our journey has brought few headaches and an endless supply of memorable moments. Some of which would not have been possible without this forum and those who so passionately feed its pool of knowledge.

The trip was in the works for a little more than a year prior to our departure. During which, I used input from the forum to determine the right vehicle choice.

Vehicle Decision

We've also been offered beds to sleep in and recommended shops to have work done through this portal. It has so far served as a great resource and we will continue to take advantage of the community whenever possible. In return if anyone has any questions or comments please feel free to shoot them over.

We keep a blog at

www.anywherethatswild.org

Thanks everyone!

zchan88

Observer
We haven't decided on any details - which company, exact dates, etc. We plan to ship from Colon, Panama to Cartagena, Colombia at the end of April and hope to share a cargo container with other travelers to reduce the costs. We'll definitely post more when we have the details!

Last edited:

zchan88

Observer
Pics

DSC_0012 (640x425).jpg
Entering into Yellowstone from the east along Buffalo Bill Reservoir.

DSC_0308 (640x425).jpg
A view of the Tetons from our FREE campsite in the National Forest just outside of the NP.

DSC_0329 (640x425).jpg
Spaghetti dinner in Idaho

DSC_0938 (640x425).jpg
Beartooth highway

DSC_0990 (640x286).jpg
Another shot in the Beartooths, this was some of the most beautiful stretch of highway we saw.

DSC_0570 (640x425).jpg
Fort Stevens State Park outside Astoria, OR

DSC_1016 (640x425).jpg
Avenue of the Giants in Northern California

DSC_1057 (640x425).jpg
Camping spot on Highway 1 north of SF

DSC_0208 (640x558).jpg
Lombard Street

DSC_0229 (640x425).jpg
Preparing another meal along highway 1, right up there with the Beartooth Highway

zchan88

Observer
More Pics

DSC_0460 (640x425).jpg
Driving through a couple of sequoias in either King's Canyon or Sequoia NP.

DSC_0170 (640x425).jpg
Pirate camping along Glen Canyon Rec Area.

DSC_0310 (640x425).jpg
Sun setting just outside of Arches in Utah.

DSC_0886 (640x425).jpg
Near Ensenada, our first night south of the boarder.

DSC_0915 (640x425).jpg
Another beach side camping spot on Baja.

DSC_0924 (640x425).jpg
Not a place the big rigs would have been able to handle.

DSC_1222 (640x439).jpg
Punta Chivato on the Baja.

DSC_0080 (640x425).jpg
Another shot on the Baja.

zchan88

Observer
Enjoying your blog.
What kind of MPG are you getting from the van?

I looked at the water hand pump you are using as well (can't remember the brand right now) holy crap that thing is expensive for what it is. Is it worth it?
For about the same price one could get a larger frontrunner tank.

We're getting an average of 13.9 MPG.

The hand pump works great. To be honest, I never knew how much the thing cost. I just looked it up and it's safe to say they're aiming for people who spend other people's money, engineers for example. That's too bad because it's a cool little product. Fits an assortment of different containers with an expanding gasket mechanism, it's quick, it's easy, but yeah, no way I'd be able to rationalize paying what they're asking.

defrag4

Road Warrior
Sounds like were on the same schedule, set to cross into Belize next week as well! In Cancun right now

zchan88

Observer
Oaxaca

After travelling through Northern and Central Mexico, entering the state of Oaxaca was like entering a whole new country. We began seeing signs of a culture different than any we had previously experienced. Oaxaca marked our entry into Zapatec country. No experience better encompassed the most notable differences than a walk through the city market. The produce stands carry a number of new and strange items, the tortillas have doubled in size and are fried and stuffed with an assortment of delicious fillings and amidst the hum of the market we overheard languages that were neither English nor Spanish. The metropolis acts as a magnet drawing in all of the regional specialties that left Jill and I overwhelmed with new foods to try and shops to peruse.

One of the many foodstuffs Oaxaca is known for is chocolate. Throughout the city we stumbled upon a chocolate store here and there, but it was when we walked down the street on the south side of the market that it was clear we were in a chocolate lover’s paradise. The street is lined with chocolate shop after chocolate shop, each one adding to the sweet chocolate aroma that overwhelmed any other city scents that may have been floating through the air. Each shop had, in addition to a plethora of chocolate related products, anywhere from 1 to 5 dishwasher sized grinders. One could choose the additives and proportions desired (2 part cocoa, 1 part sugar, a bit of cinnamon, some nutmeg and a few vanilla beans, for example) and out comes a liquid that quickly thickens and can be used in moles, hot chocolate, or to simply add some walnuts and cool. One night, Jill and I found ourselves pulled back to chocolate row where we indulged in an after dinner hot chocolate. Prepared with milk, and whipped just enough to give the cup a nice frothy head, the moment the rim touched my lips I knew that Swiss Miss would forever be coupled with feelings of disappointment.

No longer is tequila the liquor of choice. Now, when we go into liquor stores it is mezcal that line the shelves. As I mentioned in my tequila post mezcal is the whiskey to tequila’s bourbon, and at times I could not tell the difference between the two. One noticeable difference, however, is that mezcal is often bottled with a moth larvae that inevitably sinks to the bottom. This “worm” gives the mezcal a distinct smokiness that quickly grew on us and made the transition from tequila an easy one.

The large corn tortillas sold at the markets are called tlayudas and are a specialty in this region of Mexico. Like a Mexican calzone, a tlayuda can come with any number of different toppings, folded in half and fried in asiento (pig fat sounds nicer in Spanish). Jill and I made an attempt to make some back at the van but unfortunately learned it is best to leave it to the professionals. At the edge of the market we could find women selling pre-prepared tlayudas, and even though it had been hours since it was pulled from the fryer, it was still ten times better than what we had made back at the van. And despite the low price of $1, it was more than enough food to constitute a meal. In what has become an annoying theme of our journey, just as I fall in love with a new food, its regionalism prevents it from becoming a long term habit.

DSC_0024.jpg
In front of the museum/old convent were armies of these funky looking drip people.

DSC_0035.jpg
A Oaxacan delicacy, crickets. Buy 'em by the kilo

DSC_0143.jpg
We ran across a Mezcal factory still making the stuff the old fashioned way. Mules pull that big wheel around in circles crushing the agave pinas.

DSC_0169.jpg
Looking back at the fire tower we'd be climbing outside of Oaxaca.

P1050597.jpg

DSC_0192.jpg

DSC_0198.jpg
Century plant on steroids. If you've ever seen the ones in the southwest, these are about 4 times bigger.

P1050590.jpg
A tlayuda.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    460.9 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0075.jpg
    DSC_0075.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 12

roboter

Observer
Excellent photos! Mexico gets interesting the further south you go. We are all at the edge of our chairs awaiting your border crossing experiences in Central America..... We might see you in South America later this year, as we plan on making a loop throughout SA for the next year or more. Enjoy and safe travels!

The Garrett's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz