Fire Extinguishers Inquiry.

Dirtytires

Explorer
I was on a trail ride with a stock TJ one fall. We were doing two track thru a large section of hardwoods. A bunch or dry leaves waded up around the exhaust/skidplate/cat area and caught fire. The jeep was so low that it was difficult to get at the fire. We used 3 fire extinguishers to put it out, and saved the jeep. It still ran but had a engine code. I'm guessing he melted off an O2 sensor. The guy never came back.

Do you think that he was a littel upset or just got scared of the fire?

grimbo

Explorer
Make sure you have the right one for the right job. Most likely you will need a vehicle specific one and for the trailer one that is suitable for electrical as well as gas and food related. Using the wrong extinguisher on the wrong type of fire can make it worse. A fire blanket is also a good idea, especially for the trailer and cooking

Dirtytires

Explorer
Do they make fire blankets anymore? That is a term I have not heard of in many years. I shall use Google to find.
it would be nice to throw two in a box just in case.

magaw

Magaw
I see fire blanket at work, but it's fiberglass based and it comes in a roll, probably 50' or more. Welders use it to keep sparks and slag from falling through the grading. One draw back is that if you accidentally rub up against it it will itch you to death!

grimbo

Explorer
Still very common here in Australia, need to grab one in fact for the trailer. Not fiberglass but not sure what they are made off.

I'm fire warden for my section of our building and we had a demo of various extinguishers on various fires. Enlightening seeing what a water based extinguishers does on an oil fire etc etc also the fire blankets were amazingly effective if you can get to
It early enough

EWS

Observer
Fire Blankets- We have one of these ,

Link-http://www.puresafety.co.uk/piv/25653/687/692/5502/Fire_Safety_Equipment/Fire_Blankets/Classic_Fire_Blankets/FRE43-J2R.html

The blanket is retained in a enclosure, fixed to the trucks bulkhead, to use just pull tapes extending from enclosure complemented with a powder extinguisher and a comprehensive First Aid Kit along with a ally photography type case containing medical drugs and items my disabled partner may require, for a unplanned overnight/stay or emergency, and her wheelchair bag carries her own little toolkit

Dirtytires

Explorer
Fire Blankets- We have one of these ,

Link-http://www.puresafety.co.uk/piv/25653/687/692/5502/Fire_Safety_Equipment/Fire_Blankets/Classic_Fire_Blankets/FRE43-J2R.html

The blanket is retained in a enclosure, fixed to the trucks bulkhead, to use just pull tapes extending from enclosure complemented with a powder extinguisher and a comprehensive First Aid Kit along with a ally photography type case containing medical drugs and items my disabled partner may require, for a unplanned overnight/stay or emergency, and her wheelchair bag carries her own little toolkit

:26_7_2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94