SSF556 Build Up - 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Recce01

Adventurer
That made a huge difference in lighting! I really need to do something as well. I love the look of those grands, nice rig man!

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
With the mods done what are you getting for mpg's?

I have started to monitor fuel consumption since I added the GDE Eco Tune.......follow the link below....I have had 2 fill ups since the tune. Mix of highway and city....

Average is 19mpg

Last fill-up was 21.1

I am happy to be in the low 20s with the current setup....with the tune I am back to where I was pre lift and bigger tires.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/scootr29/grand-cherokee

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Ok guys now that the heat has died down and the NE/Vermont Overland trip on the horizon I decided it was time to put in a flat floor so the wife and I have a place to crash if the weather gets too bad. The second part of the floor is in the works and I hope to have that done this weekend.

I would like to have drawers but one of the issues is the limited amount of space in the WK between the floor and headliner.....so this way allows me to sleep and sit up as well. Plus I can put in the dog crate as well.

Both front and rear sections will have hidden floors to provide more storage. Seats have been taken out.

Back section will work seats up and seats down.

Frame for new floor...just 2x4 with some corner braces. Probably use L braces to attach to floor.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345856420.270210.jpg

Dry run to see what fits...I used to put spare parts, tool bag in a rubbermaid box, but it was cubersome and took up space. 1 box gone. Everything now fits securely in the new storage space.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345856463.772947.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345856474.414324.jpg

Used a piece of cardboard to get an outline done for the top. Wanted to cut once. Used 3/4 inch plywood, this will give us agood sturdy place to sleep if needed. I will be covering the entire area with an outdoor carpet once everything is done.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345856517.454894.jpg

Got the top cut out....even my rounded corners turned out ok....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345856572.568418.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345856583.008257.jpg

And with the hinges on I now got a cool hidden space double the size of the old one. I will get a better stick of may use a hook to attach to the drip rail around the rear hatch.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345856600.095391.jpg

Front section will be completed this weekend. Plus carpet.

More to come....Scott

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Also figure since I have access to the floor might as well do something to make things a little quieter.....so I ordered 2 boxes of Dynamat.

Hopefully it is worth the money....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345867736.785746.jpg

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Ok...round 2

The front box, plus sleeping area. I did secure the 2 sections together with 3" wood screws. I did have to go and get some more 2 x 4s, some of my measuring was off.

Here is the frame with the top and getting ready to secure the hinges...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345919953.100338.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345919966.451595.jpg

Once I got the hinges on it was time to put back in and secure to the back box.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345919999.665441.jpg

And here is the almost finished project....A good root beer and a level finished project.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345920033.219032.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345920044.334732.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345920054.526935.jpg

This is the new storage area once the top is open....I will be putting in a floor to protect the electronics.....but this should give me enough space to put in 2 soft side suitcases.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345920107.370772.jpg

Next up is carpet and the floor in the new storage area....

Scott

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Still working on getting the sleeping area done...some final tuning and it will be complete. I am going to wait to get the Dynamat down before doing the final secure...hopefully by next week.

I did get some better shots

I picked up a lightly used ARB bushranger X Jack and it fits snugly on the driver side and I can still open up the floor.

i-kxh7FRc-L.jpg

Here is a what I am carrying in the hidden floor in the back...

i-vTJk5jP-L.jpg

Organized...

i-STsp94g-L.jpg

More to come...

Scott

Bob Freda

Adventurer
I will have to check out your rear storage set up when your in Vermont. Looks like there is some hidden extra space that I should look into. See you at the rally.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
I will have to check out your rear storage set up when your in Vermont. Looks like there is some hidden extra space that I should look into. See you at the rally.

Yea Bob I am looking forward to the trip.....we will be leaving SC driving to MI to see the in laws, MI via Canada to Lake Placid, NY for a 2 day "hotel" vacation and then across the lake through Burlington to Rockingham. Wanted to get the platform built just in case it gets too wet in the OzTent....and the extra storage was needed and is a plus.

I saw your pics from last year...good to know that there is a little WK love up north.

:elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94