running truck axle upside down

java

Expedition Leader
Trying to do a spring over, don't want to move the perches, is it going to be bad to run the truck axle upside down? I don't want to fry the third. I think it would be fine but just want to make sure.

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
Not sure if you're serious or not.

The primary reason NOT to simply turn your axle upside down to do a spring-over is the gears. You probably WOULD "fry the third" but this would be minor compared to learning to drive everywhere in reverse. Changing the orientation of the ring gear to the pinion in this instance will make your wheels turn opposite of what they currently do.

If you decide to go to the trouble of turning the axles upside down, do yourself a favor and move the engine and transmission to the rear of the vehicle as well.;)

Edit: As I re-read this post I realize we are in the trailer forum. I'm not sure in what context the OP is using the truck axle. If used as a trailer axle for a light trailer there would be some concerns. Seems like there are better, easier ways to carry spare parts.

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
Not sure if you're serious or not.

The primary reason NOT to simply turn your axle upside down to do a spring-over is the gears. You probably WOULD "fry the third" but this would be minor compared to learning to drive everywhere in reverse. Changing the orientation of the ring gear to the pinion in this instance will make your wheels turn opposite of what they currently do.

If you decide to go to the trouble of turning the axles upside down, do yourself a favor and move the engine and transmission to the rear of the vehicle as well.;)

Sorry if it wasn't clear. Axle is being used in a trailer. Hence the trailer forum ;)

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
LOL, please forgive me for my misunderstanding.

Thank you, however, for the chuckle I got imagining you slamming through the gears and catching 4th gear reverse!:bike_rider:

java

Expedition Leader
LOL, please forgive me for my misunderstanding.

Thank you, however, for the chuckle I got imagining you slamming through the gears and catching 4th gear reverse!:bike_rider:

So what's your opinion? Only thing I'm worried about is making sure the gears are still in enough of an oil bath. Its a datsun axle if it makes any different.

java

Expedition Leader
The vent tube would be a drain tube now.

The fill plug would be at a different height.
Ran the vent around to the top again. Didn't plan on changing the fluid. Hopefully ill be replacing the axle in a year or two.

JeepDork

Adventurer
I don't know on a datsun axle but on most like a 14 bolt the ring gear sprays gear oil forward to lube the pinion bearing.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Call Summit racing, and order two new spring perches to weld onto the axle.
U bolts should be long enough and the saddles should work too. then the diff will stay lubed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94